Doctor dragged from plane after refusing to leave for United Employee who needed seat

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A lot of this drama could have been avoided if the United employees who had to get to Louisville had boarding passes and were already sitting in the seats when regular passenger boarding began. That was four passengers would have found someone already in their seats and United could issues apologies and vouchers etc. without having to call security to remove a guy from a seat.
This is a PR disaster.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A lot of this drama could have been avoided if the United employees who had to get to Louisville had boarding passes and were already sitting in the seats when regular passenger boarding began. That was four passengers would have found someone already in their seats and United could issues apologies and vouchers etc. without having to call security to remove a guy from a seat.
This is a PR disaster.
Better yet, they could rent them a car - it's only a 4.5 hour drive from Chicago to Louisville.

Forcing paid passengers off a flight for their own employees just shows how United views their customers.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There's no need to beat someone up when you can slam their head into a seat/armrest and knock them out cold.

I don't know how he got back on the plane other than he was running, likely combative - having been knocked unconscious with a concussion.
You try to remove someone who is resisting from a seated postion in tight area and see if you or them don't hit your head on something. The only question on the police revolves around care for the guy.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Better yet, they could rent them a car - it's only a 4.5 hour drive from Chicago to Louisville.

Forcing paid passengers off a flight for their own employees just shows how United views their customers.
Depends on how they were scheduled with regard to mandatory crew rest. If they were supposed to operate a flight out of Louisville in less than 12 hours or so, the airline might have decided it was better to inconvenience 4 paying passengers out of Chicago than 50 out of Louisville the next morning.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

While I agree, I'm guessing the employees were needed for operations due to the unavailability of another crew so they had to deadhead them to Louisville. Renting a car probably would not have given them enough crew rest time to be eligible to fly or maybe violated some internal work or union rule.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Depends on how they were scheduled with regard to mandatory crew rest. If they were supposed to operate a flight out of Louisville in less than 12 hours or so, the airline might have decided it was better to inconvenience 4 paying passengers out of Chicago than 50 out of Louisville the next morning.
While I agree, I'm guessing the employees were needed for operations due to the unavailability of another crew so they had to deadhead them to Louisville. Renting a car probably would not have given them enough crew rest time to be eligible to fly or maybe violated some internal work or union rule.
Regardless, United chose to screw the customers for the benefit of their employees due to poor planning.

You can rationalize it all you want, but it's obvious that United made a poor choice here and deserves the shellacking they're receiving.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Regardless, United chose to screw the customers for the benefit of their employees due to poor planning.

You can rationalize it all you want, but it's obvious that United made a poor choice here and deserves the shellacking they're receiving.
they could have kept offering more for the 4 seats too. i imagine $1,500 X 4 would have gotten them the seats and a lot less headaches

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
You try to remove someone who is resisting from a seated postion in tight area and see if you or them don't hit your head on something. The only question on the police revolves around care for the guy.
United created the situation and could have handled it differently. The guy probably did not expect this to happen. Now that we know it will I guess we can all just comply without protest immediately. My problem with that is that I am not a child who should just obey without question when I am no danger to anyone. Security could have reasoned with the man, and United could have reasoned with him before that or found someone less resistant, but then that would make them less powerful, wouldn't it? And make no mistake that this was about power. Brute force, as a matter of fact.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
they could have kept offering more for the 4 seats too. i imagine $1,500 X 4 would have gotten them the seats and a lot less headaches
I'd have taken the $800 if it was offered in portraits of Ben Franklin instead of a voucher. I've used Delta's vouchers in the past. If it's anything like that experience, nothing short of cash is getting me to accept that offer.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I'm not condoning United's behavior, just pointing out that it is not "for their employees" as much as it was "for their operations".

United should have upped the ante and got some more passengers to bite. They usually give the payout as a voucher so it is basically "funny money" for UAL; even if it was cash it would be worth a few thousand dollars to make sure they had a crew available for the flight out of Louisville.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I recently took a trip starting in Charlottesville, via Dulles to someplace overseas.
The United puddle jumper was broken (this flight has about a 60% on-time departure rate, and, if delayed, is usually 1.5 hours late), so United put me (and a British gentleman) in a cab. 80 miles and $150 (United paid, not me) later I was at Dulles.
Coming back home, same thing. Plane broke, and I rode to Charlottesville.
That cannot be a good business model.
But if the plane is broken, I have no interest in crashing on time. I'd rather get there safely, even if late.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'd have taken the $800 if it was offered in portraits of Ben Franklin instead of a voucher. I've used Delta's vouchers in the past. If it's anything like that experience, nothing short of cash is getting me to accept that offer.
I would do it for $800 cash plus a free hotel stay, luxury suite of course and a steak dinner.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I recently took a trip starting in Charlottesville, via Dulles to someplace overseas.
The United puddle jumper was broken (this flight has about a 60% on-time departure rate, and, if delayed, is usually 1.5 hours late), so United put me (and a British gentleman) in a cab. 80 miles and $150 (United paid, not me) later I was at Dulles.
Coming back home, same thing. Plane broke, and I rode to Charlottesville.
That cannot be a good business model.
But if the plane is broken, I have no interest in crashing on time. I'd rather get there safely, even if late.
Yeah, leaving Reno last year with 4-6" of snow and ice on the wings (early bird flight so it had sat all night) and people began complaining about the length of deicing. I turned to my wife and said something similar to your last lines.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Something tells me United stockholders are not going to be happy when they realize their dividends are cut due to the millions paid out to the passenger, his lawyers and their own lawyers.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I guess next time, when flying to Birmingham and they ask for volunteers, I better jump up and volunteer for the sake of everyone else on the plane. I'll make the sacrifice, I suppose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.