Doctor dragged from plane after refusing to leave for United Employee who needed seat

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'd have taken the $800 if it was offered in portraits of Ben Franklin instead of a voucher. I've used Delta's vouchers in the past. If it's anything like that experience, nothing short of cash is getting me to accept that offer.
i think if they are desperate enough, they might pony up cash.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
United created the situation and could have handled it differently.

Yes they did, but where did I ever say otherwise?

The guy probably did not expect this to happen.

Does anyone ever expect to get pulled over for a traffic stop?

. My problem with that is that I am not a child who should just obey without question when I am no danger to anyone. Security could have reasoned with the man, and United could have reasoned with him before that or found someone less resistant, but then that would make them less powerful, wouldn't it? And make no mistake that this was about power. Brute force, as a matter of fact.

1) That isn't a security guard telling him to move. That is a police officer telling him to move. Big difference

2) Like I said earlier, ever since DOHS started being a department, airports and airlines have gotten an insane amount of power in matters of denial and removal. Trust me they get away with it

3) like every video we ever see in police videos we only see the in the now part of the story, but hardly the before.

4) If you want to disobey a cop then you might as well tell your work, loved ones, and anybody you care about that youll be in the emergency room. Fighting them in court after temporary discomfort and embarrassment is a lot less painful than fighting them hand to hand and sipping from a straw with an IV bag. does it make it right... no, but just a simple fact of life.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I would do it for $800 cash plus a free hotel stay, luxury suite of course and a steak dinner.
I was flying from DC to my other property in FL a few years ago and got stuck in Atlanta overnight. Not a big deal for me cause I could Uber home and come back in the morning for the rescheduled flight and sleep in my own bed. For my fellow passengers? $25 coupon for the Red Roof inn in college park. Most slept in the Airport that night, some rented cars as the drive was only 5 hours from ATL. Couldn't pay me to sleep in a Red Rash Inn

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not condoning United's behavior, just pointing out that it is not "for their employees" as much as it was "for their operations".
Operations / employees, word it however you wish, but poor planning on their part created this. United screwed this guy over for it's own (corporate) benefit, something I simply refuse to accept and will therefore not support the airline.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Yes they did, but where did I ever say otherwise?

Does anyone ever expect to get pulled over for a traffic stop?

1) That isn't a security guard telling him to move. That is a police officer telling him to move. Big difference

2) Like I said earlier, ever since DOHS started being a department, airports and airlines have gotten an insane amount of power in matters of denial and removal. Trust me they get away with it

3) like every video we ever see in police videos we only see the in the now part of the story, but hardly the before.

4) If you want to disobey a cop then you might as well tell your work, loved ones, and anybody you care about that youll be in the emergency room. Fighting them in court after temporary discomfort and embarrassment is a lot less painful than fighting them hand to hand and sipping from a straw with an IV bag. does it make it right... no, but just a simple fact of life.
I never said the guy made a wise decision. Once it became obvious he was getting off the plane no matter what it's better to just stop pleading your case and move under protest; however, I question whether he was given that chance. Keep in mind, he was not stopped for a traffic violation, much less a crime. He was a paying customer who was making his case to stay on the plane. Did he pass the point of good judgment? Probably. But remember the situation was created by United. Once security gave him the order to go he should have gone, so he shares some blame. i get that. Power trippers gonna power trip, though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, leaving Reno last year with 4-6" of snow and ice on the wings (early bird flight so it had sat all night) and people began complaining about the length of deicing. I turned to my wife and said something similar to your last lines.
I hear that! I had to fly from Idaho Falls to Boise once in a Horizon puddle jumper, in a blizzard. As they were deicing, I was inside critiquing their technique. It was just a weird flight. A lady was boarded without her power chair, bound for a rehab conference in Boise. They'd assured her in advance they could accommodate her chair, so they added another flight behind, carrying only a power chair. The plane didn't have a pilot/copilot compartment, just curtains. Two hefty businessman-looking guys were near the front right. The copilot pulled the curtain aside, gestured to them and said "You two, move back two rows." He was a lot younger than they. They looked at each other as if thinking "Can this twerp order us around." He repeated "I said MOVE!" They scrambled to comply. I think they suddenly realized they were about to end up out in the snow... :D

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Anyone uneasy with the fact that an airline can oversell, force you to give up your seat (and select for the people who paid the least, bought the earliest), and use state violence to enforce their poor business practices?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Anyone uneasy with the fact that an airline can oversell, force you to give up your seat (and select for the people who paid the least, bought the earliest), and use state violence to enforce their poor business practices?
That is really the root cause of all this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.