OL Discussion with Recruiting Ranking Talk Mixed In

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

Thanks to all who explained the system. I think I get the 'stars' now. It is kind of like an "A" student compared to a "B" student. One may have a 99 average on test scores and another may have a 81 average, which shows a lot of difference. Or it could be 91 vs 89 which shows little difference.
It's still guesswork and doesn't take into account the greatest variable of all: the space between their ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Meh, rankings are basically crap - I've literally seen players' ranking increased when high-profile teams (like Bama) offered a player.

There's only so much time in the day for guys to watch HS film and try to evaluate how good they are.
Yeah, a lot goes with early press clippings. Someone at a school that doesn't get a lot of attention or someone who doesn't develop until later in the high school career may not get the rating they deserve or maybe they just aren't in a good program. I think the five-stars are usually rated where they should be though; it's the lower levels that can get lost.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yeah, a lot goes with early press clippings. Someone at a school that doesn't get a lot of attention or someone who doesn't develop until later in the high school career may not get the rating they deserve or maybe they just aren't in a good program. I think the five-stars are usually rated where they should be though; it's the lower levels that can get lost.
Heck, I know a kid that has been injured his sophomore and junior years, so he's only played around 6 games total. He's visited numerous SEC and a few ACC schools and has several offers from P5 schools. Teams just want to see how he does in his senior year.

He's the type kid that shines in college and people wonder how he flew under the radar.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I agree if you mean individual stars.
Yah, I meant individual rankings. There's obviously correlation to high recruiting rankings and winning, but on an individual level, it's not nearly as scientific as some seem to believe.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yah, I meant individual rankings. There's obviously correlation to high recruiting rankings and winning, but on an individual level, it's not nearly as scientific as some seem to believe.
Right. Josh Jacobs was a 3* that not many recruited because he didn't attend camps and his coach didn't send out his film early enough.

Anyone think Jacobs is a 3* after what we saw last year?

Plus, the stars depend on the overall talent in a given year. One year a player might be a 4* because of the unbelievable talent ahead of him but could be a 5* and the #1 player at his position the next.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany

Add Donta Hightower and Marcell Dareus to this 3 star list. Saban is the best evaluator of talent we have ever had....it's absolute crazy talk to think that anyone who suits Up at Alabama is somehow disadvantaged because they didn't play as a Freshman; especially On the LOC!

Last edited:

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008

Don'ta is 4 star in rivals.

Famous 3 stars:
Marcel Dareus, Terrency Cody ,Chance Warmack, Ryan Kelly, Jaran Reed and Eddie Jackson

Add Donta Hightower and Marcell Dareus to this 3 star list. Saban is the best evaluator of talent we have ever had....it's absolute crazy talk to think that anyone who suits Up at Alabama is somehow disadvantaged because they didn't play as a Freshman; especially On the LOC!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Don'ta is 4 star in rivals.

Famous 3 stars:
Marcel Dareus, Terrency Cody ,Chance Warmack, Ryan Kelly, Jaran Reed and Eddie Jackson
Cody and Reed were 3*s because they went to JUCO. Most recruiting sites don't rank JUCO guys above 3*.

Eddie was the typical story of a 2 or 3* guy - didn't play football long (believe he only played his senior year) and didn't attend camps (on or off campus ones), so the services had very little to use in deciding how he would do in college.

IIRC, Dareus was a 3* because academic questions.

Ryan Kelly was a 3* because he was a center. Kickers and interior OL (with the exception of those that could possibly play tackle) are rarely above a 3*. Services might rank the #1-#3 center as a 4*, but they aren't ranking a center 5*. From an article after his commitment:

Rivals.com has the 6-foot-5, 270-pound Kelly as a three-star prospect, the nation's No. 6 center prospect and 18th-best overall player in Ohio. Scout.com has Kelly as a four-star recruit and the nation's No. 2 center.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Pulled as many of the OL/recruiting posts from the spring practice thread as I possibly could, so people won't go there looking for a practice update to only see we're discussing why a player from the 2008 class was a 3*.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

Going back even further, Evan Mathis who was all-Pro at guard in the NFL was not ranked by some and a 2 star who many thought received an offer due to being Bob Baumhower's relative. He bulked up and after they tried him at center, he ended up starting at right tackle before moving to guard in his Senior season.

Cody and Reed were 3*s because they went to JUCO. Most recruiting sites don't rank JUCO guys above 3*.

Eddie was the typical story of a 2 or 3* guy - didn't play football long (believe he only played his senior year) and didn't attend camps (on or off campus ones), so the services had very little to use in deciding how he would do in college.

IIRC, Dareus was a 3* because academic questions.

Ryan Kelly was a 3* because he was a center. Kickers and interior OL (with the exception of those that could possibly play tackle) are rarely above a 3*. Services might rank the #1-#3 center as a 4*, but they aren't ranking a center 5*. From an article after his commitment:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

A while back I said on another thread that as soon as he (Womack) "grew" into his body more and learned what's expected of him on the line (mental and physical) that he'd be a road grader. He's just now getting there. And just because he may be outperforming some of the more heralded recruits right now doesn't necessarily mean we may have trouble on the right side of the line. That may just mean that he's improved to the point of being an extra asset on a level where he can compete with the other players at that or any position. I'm not necessarily saying that the other guys competing for that position are not as good, or they're better or whatever. I'm just saying that Womack is starting to get to a higher level now and growing into his body/position/technique. And that's a "goot thang". Especially with the other guys being rated where they are coming in.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

At the individual level, predicting human performance, especially when the human is 18 years old, is inexact. But stars are worth something, just as, say ACT scores are.

Just for discussion purposes, let's say a 5-star academic prospect is a 33 on the ACT. A 3-star is a 26. We all know kids who made 33 ACTs who flunked out, and kids who made 26 who graduated with honors.

But give me a room full of 33s, and their academic performance will run circles around a room full of 26s, individual variances notwithstanding.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

At the individual level, predicting human performance, especially when the human is 18 years old, is inexact. But stars are worth something, just as, say ACT scores are.

Just for discussion purposes, let's say a 5-star academic prospect is a 33 on the ACT. A 3-star is a 26. We all know kids who made 33 ACTs who flunked out, and kids who made 26 who graduated with honors.

But give me a room full of 33s, and their academic performance will run circles around a room full of 26s, individual variances notwithstanding.
Very will put. Anybody that says the star rankings don't mean anything don't follow it very closely. During the Shula years we typically got 4-5 players who were 4* and the rest were 3* or less.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.