OL Discussion with Recruiting Ranking Talk Mixed In

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Unheralded player emerging as factor in Alabama right tackle competition

"I thought he had a really good offseason," Saban said. "His body is starting to develop, starting to show a lot of maturity, balance and body control, better conditioning, better ability to sustain more mental toughness, better idea of what he's supposed to do (and) grasp of the offense, which allows him to play with more confidence. So, been really pleased with him."
I'm not saying It's a done deal, but Baker essentially will have to fight Womack for the starting RT in the fall camp.

The right side of OL probably will not be settled until the fall camp.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

Unheralded player emerging as factor in Alabama right tackle competition

I'm not saying It's a done deal, but Baker essentially will have to fight Womack for the starting RT in the fall camp.

The right side of OL probably will not be settled until the fall camp.
I hate to be negative, but this doesn't seem like good news to me. You never know, but I struggle to believe that Womack is the best option that you have at RT. Frankly, if he is, it suggests weakness in the others more than anything else to me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I hate to be negative, but this doesn't seem like good news to me. You never know, but I struggle to believe that Womack is the best option that you have at RT. Frankly, if he is, it suggests weakness in the others more than anything else to me.
Could be, although Bozeman was a 3 star in some services and he's turned out pretty darn good. On the lines especially some kids come along a bit later in life as they grow into their size. Hopefully that's the case with Womack

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

Well I've thought since day one that Baker was undersized to play in the SEC. He has only being playing football for a few years I believe as well. Nonetheless he and Leatherwood were ranked at the top of their positions coming out and Womack is apparently outplaying both of them. Just because he was a 3 star doesn't mean now going on 3 years into our program that he can't be the best option.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa

I hopeful that Womac might just be a late bloomer. There is so much talent on campus the last decade that it is easy to forget that sometimes players need to mature physically so their bodies can catch up to their work ethic.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I hopeful that Womac might just be a late bloomer. There is so much talent on campus the last decade that it is easy to forget that sometimes players need to mature physically so their bodies can catch up to their work ethic.
Heck, he's only a redshirt sophomore, so he's not really a late bloomer, either.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

And your reasoning is what? Because of his 3* rating and #621 24/7 ranking? Been quite a few 3*'s that were really good players. Chance Warmack, Mark Ingram, Demeco Ryans to name a few. He was committed to LSWho before we flipped him. Don't really understand the reasoning for your statement B1G.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

And your reasoning is what? Because of his 3* rating and #621 24/7 ranking? Been quite a few 3*'s that were really good players. Chance Warmack, Mark Ingram, Demeco Ryans to name a few. He was committed to LSWho before we flipped him. Don't really understand the reasoning for your statement B1G.
You bring up one good point with 'crootin: the offer list says a lot about a player...usually. If he was committed to LSU and flipped to Alabama, he was probably one of the best at his position coming out of high school. LSU and Alabama don't offer stiffs.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Pretty much in the same boat with TJ on this one , B1G. Because I respect your opinions, would really like some follow up. If he`s proving it in one on ones with our best D linemen ( assuming for a moment that they`ve gone against one another ), and working under an assumption that our D line and outside rushers are pretty good, then.... ??

Last edited by a moderator:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

You bring up one good point with 'crootin: the offer list says a lot about a player...usually. If he was committed to LSU and flipped to Alabama, he was probably one of the best at his position coming out of high school. LSU and Alabama don't offer stiffs.
This is what I was thinking too. The other thing is we know Coach Saban does not throw around accolades very often. The RT position may not be settled in the spring, but I feel we'll be ok by fall camp.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Would have that RT could be tentatively settled coming out of spring - in other words, leaving open the possibility that someone shows out in fall camp - but if its unsettled on April 5, I fail to see why that's a big deal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

No, because he has come out of nowhere after being a part of your program for 2 years. When this happens it usually means one of 2 things - he had some serious studs ahead of him, or he just wasn't performing well enough in practice to see the field. You have struggled at RG for 2 years in a row. Did he never get a shot at RG? Maybe that is the problem. Maybe he can only play tackle, and you have had very good tackles.

Still, I really believed that Leatherwood was going to be able to step in right away. I am shocked that Womack is better than him. Shocked. Maybe he really has improved that much.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

No, because he has come out of nowhere after being a part of your program for 2 years. When this happens it usually means one of 2 things - he had some serious studs ahead of him, or he just wasn't performing well enough in practice to see the field. You have struggled at RG for 2 years in a row. Did he never get a shot at RG? Maybe that is the problem. Maybe he can only play tackle, and you have had very good tackles.

Still, I really believed that Leatherwood was going to be able to step in right away. I am shocked that Womack is better than him. Shocked. Maybe he really has improved that much.
Leatherwood was with the second string today, so he appears to be making his move.

Womack was with the second string at times last year. If he was entering his fifth year, I would agree with you. He's entering his third year, and many OL take one year to develop/mature into a college OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Leatherwood was with the second string today, so he appears to be making his move.

Womack was with the second string at times last year. If he was entering his fifth year, I would agree with you. He's entering his third year, and many OL take one year to develop/mature into a college OL.
Yeah, I'm not even sure that I agree with myself. I am just very surprised.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

This reasoning is weird and I totally disagree with the whole assessment. We spent all year hearing how being a true freshman absolutely meant not being expected to play at the level of a more experienced player, and now your comment makes it seem like a guy who is a not world beater in his first or second year is somehow past his opportunity. This is crazy. Especially at a lineman position it takes years to reach your potential. I know we started some young guys but we also have guys like Ryan Kelly who showed up in sophomore year when the starter went down, and he turned out okay. We rotate dline so you get to see more of the three deep in action, but even there we have 5 star guys who don't peak until they are juniors or seniors. On the online it is very common to play two years as an upperclassman because it take those extra two years of weight lifting and growing to attain the physical traits necessary to hold up in the trenches. Also womack is the same years out of high school as a juco, except he qualified for college in the first place. If he had failed to qualify and then been the top juco player would you be like oh he's great he's supposed to win the job blah blah blah.

Edit: I realize Leatherwood isn't a juco. Maybe it was Baker who is the juco. Either way my point remains that we should not expect freshman guys to just beat guys in the program for years. Even 5* guys take time to grow.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

This reasoning is weird and I totally disagree with the whole assessment.
Well, it wasn't really an assessment as much as a train of thought, but I get your point.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We sometimes forget that in a day and age with great player development in high schools today that just a few years ago a player would get to campus and we'd never hear his name until at least his Soph. or Jr. year.

Even at a place like Bama or Oh. St. very few players aren't ready straight out of HS and some need 2 or 3 to be ready to play/compete.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

The funny thing is I sometimes find myself a little bummed out when Alabama signs a 3 star or low 4 star, I'm so spoiled now... The truth though is that those guys still find a way onto the field. Bozeman is as good an example as any, not only was he a 3 star, but he was a greyshirt. He went on to become an important member of the team. It isn't and shouldn't just be about how high rated a guy is by the services, one has to assume Alabama offers someone because they see the potential.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.