News Article: New Rules Could Alter How Alabama Builds Staff and Conducts Summer Camps

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember Saban's rant from the first press conference of the spring? He started ranting and end up talking about a NCAA rule. This is why...

Link

If one of the rules the NCAA is likely to approve this week had been in effect 10 years ago, Jeremy Pruitt might never have broken into college coaching.

One of the best defensive coordinators in the country and a rising star in the profession, Pruitt most likely would’ve never been afforded the opportunity to jump from Hoover High School, where he was the defensive coordinator, to Alabama, where he became the director of player development.

The bylaw, 11.4.3, has the potential to change how Alabama builds its support staff.

The rule reads, “In football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete’s anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete’s actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.”

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Terrible proposal. I think I understand what the NCAA is aiming for, but they are missing the mark.

If a school hires a guy just to get a recruit and the coach isn't any good shouldn't that be punishment enough?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, if a HS coach has 4-5 kids per year that go to College.....and over a 4 year period, that's 16-20 colleges (possibly). Chances are many are in the region where his HS is.... he cannot get a job at ANY of those 16-20 colleges? Not sure that's legal.....you can't deny someone a job in their chosen field if there is a position available. (at least that's what I thought)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, if a HS coach has 4-5 kids per year that go to College.....and over a 4 year period, that's 16-20 colleges (possibly). Chances are many are in the region where his HS is.... he cannot get a job at ANY of those 16-20 colleges?
That is correct. The example Suttles used on Twitter a minute ago is Josh Niblett. What school is going to hire him from Hoover and therefore not be able to recruit Hoover?

Not sure that's legal.....you can't deny someone a job in their chosen field if there is a position available. (at least that's what I thought)
Believe it would be legal solely because not every single opportunity is denied. There would be other schools that could hire the coach.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I can't imagine any D1/FBS coach or AD that would in their right minds support either one of these rules at all. How in the world did they get to the brink of approval? Idiotic.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I can't imagine any D1/FBS coach or AD that would in their right minds support either one of these rules at all. How in the world did they get to the brink of approval? Idiotic.
Makes no sense, yet it's expected to be approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think there are several constitutional arguments one could make against this proposal. Don't forget this rule would apply to all divisions of NCAA football. In the lower divisions it's much more common for coaches to go back and forth from high school to college.

This is a bad proposal anyway you look at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There was discussion about this issue on the basketball board concerning Memphis hiring the father of a top recruit. The dad was also their high school coach, but it still looks shady.

I fully support banning the hiring of a parent or legal guardian even if they are a legitimate coach. But just any coach is overstepping.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think there are several constitutional arguments one could make against this proposal. Don't forget this rule would apply to all divisions of NCAA football. In the lower divisions it's much more common for coaches to go back and forth from high school to college.

This is a bad proposal anyway you look at it.

Hate to bring it up, but there are the SCOTUS decisions declaring the NCAA a "voluntary association," and a "non-government actor."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How often are coaches that move up to the college ranks the coaches of football players that will play in college?

It stands to reason that a deserving coach has players on his team that will end up playing college ball. One reason being he develops his players and puts them in the situation to perform at their best. Also, college coaches learn how good a coach and/or guy he is during their interaction with him while recruiting his player(s). Not like Saban just calls up a random HS coach and asks if he wants to join the staff.

Another thing that makes this bad - transfers. Common practice for HS players to transfer now. What if College P hires Main Street High School's coach and a year later one of the top players in the nation transfers to Main Street High? That's right... College P can't recruit him because of the hiring of a coach that had no influence on the player.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
There are two sides to this ban, the university wanting to hire the high-school coach and the high-school coach wanting to be be employed by a university. I get the argument about the NCAA being a voluntary organization so I can see where a suit filed by a university might lose. However, if a high school coach, who otherwise is qualified and can't get the job because of this NCAA ban, I just see that as a losing proposition for the NCAA. If this thing passes, I expect we'll see a suit filed by one or more high school coaches in short order and I believe they'll win.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There are two sides to this ban, the university wanting to hire the high-school coach and the high-school coach wanting to be be employed by a university. I get the argument about the NCAA being a voluntary organization so I can see where a suit filed by a university might lose. However, if a high school coach, who otherwise is qualified and can't get the job because of this NCAA ban, I just see that as a losing proposition for the NCAA. If this thing passes, I expect we'll see a suit filed by one or more high school coaches in short order and I believe they'll win.
This is the angle I see it from. I get the NCAA being considered a voluntary association but when that association acts in a collective manner to create an unreasonable restraint on commerce which is the limiting and movement of employment then you potentially have an argument prohibiting this practice on constitutional grounds.

This legislation acts similar to the Ollie's BBQ case where it could not refuse service to AAs because they were engaged in interstate commerce. Universities have also
been classified as state actors largely because of the funding they receive from the federal government - not to mention the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Title IX therein. In this instance i just don't see how they can have it both ways and this be very litigious for the member institutions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.