How should Tide QBS Jalen, Tua and/or Mac Be Used in 2017?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't know how it will fall out but I do know one thing for certain. Montana Murphy will not be the back-up QB no matter what scenario. Coach Saban is not wired that way and surprised I'm even seeing some mention it. If no injuries we are in good shape at QB albeit young and inexperienced.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Something to keep in mind when discussing a graduate transfer option - SEC Bylaw 14.1.15 (Two-Year Eligibility) which requires a student-athlete to have at least two years of eligibility remaining to be eligible to receive financial aid, practice and compete.

After the Mo Smith debacle last year, Alabama could easily contest the bylaw, but the rule could very well prevent a graduate transfer from getting to Tuscaloosa.
14.1.15.1 excludes graduate transfers from the two year eligibility rule. otherwise we wouldn't have had Dieter last year, and Mullaney the year before. They both joined the team with only one year left and were clear because they'd already received their undergraduate degrees.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
14.1.15.1 excludes graduate transfers from the two year eligibility rule. otherwise we wouldn't have had Dieter last year, and Mullaney the year before. They both joined the team with only one year left and were clear because they'd already received their undergraduate degrees.
Good point. Just going off what was mentioned in the conference press release about Mo Smith transferring to UGA last year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just saw an article on social media the other night where Trent Dilfer said Tua is the most talented/polished freshman quarterback he's ever seen. Granted, it may not mean a lot coming from Dilfer if one's respect level of him is determined by his level of play in the NFL. But the guy has been around A LOT of freshman qb's over the last ten years or so and for him to make public comments of this nature is pretty telling in my book.
I linked one of those articles. There was another one or a tweet where he also said that he though Tua, right now, was ahead of an Soph. Aaron Rodgers at Cal. Berkley.

Obviously, that's subjective, but that's heady stuff!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To me, that's one person opinion about Tua... We have to wait and see what he can do on the field before taking it seriously.
Of course, but it sure means more than the average REC member saying something like that just because they've seen a closed practice.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Man it is a luxury to be a Bama fan right now. We have the returning SEC Offensive Player of the Year (as a true freshman) and then just added Tua who, based on those who have seen him play, is going to be an absolute stud. We have a similar situation at RB too. This is fun

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Man it is a luxury to be a Bama fan right now. We have the returning SEC Offensive Player of the Year (as a true freshman) and then just added Tua who, based on those who have seen him play, is going to be an absolute stud. We have a similar situation at RB too. This is fun
indeed my friend ... indeed. If things fall into place, we could honestly see this team back in the championship game as well!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still believe one of the true freshmen QBs will, at some point, figure out he isn't going to ever start and transfer. I realize this is not a favorable comment to be made on here, but it is my opinion just like anyone else's.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I still believe one of the true freshmen QBs will, at some point, figure out he isn't going to ever start and transfer. I realize this is not a favorable comment to be made on here, but it is my opinion just like anyone else's.
Yes, that is a possibility but one of the TF right now is the 3rd string QB on the best team in college football. Maybe next year or beyond it happens but it would probably be better for you to post this message next year rather than now.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just saw an article on social media the other night where Trent Dilfer said Tua is the most talented/polished freshman quarterback he's ever seen.
I alluded to two audio clips I listened to, one of those ended up being discussed more than I wanted. In the other, Dilfer did have a lot of very nice things to say about Tua. I'm willing to be an optimist and look at the bright side, though we've seen hype get out of control with guys like Phillip Sims, Blake Barnett, and even Jacob Coker (there was a period of time where the debate wasn't if he would start but if he would leave early). I'm willing to concede that he's the best passer Alabama has right now, but that's one reason I don't see an advantage in burning his redshirt. As good as he may be, in terms of talent and potential, being physically and mentally ready to take over the starting job is almost certainly beyond his reach. And if it is, I'd like him to preserve a year of eligibility... That reminds me, Dilfer said something about Hurts that really stuck with me. Toughness, and I think that applies to both mental and physical. The Ole Miss game is a great example of that, he took a devastating hit, and not only did he get back up, he got back up and did something the last couple QBs couldn't do, which was lead a comeback against Ole Miss. Tua might be special, but so is Hurts of course. I really like the idea of both of them playing as many games as possible in Alabama uniforms.

If I were selecting a backup I would select the best option whether it be Tua or Mac. Saban doesn't play for the future here at Alabama, we are a reload and refuel and keep winning now program.
That's the thing though, I don't think win now mode would include the possibility of suddenly thrusting a true freshman into a starting role because of injury. To me, the safest possible situation is to have a graduate transfer. If that also saves eligibility for Tua and Jones? Alright then, that helps now and later. I think people might overestimate the advantage of getting a few snaps here or there. It uses up a year of eligibility, but how much does it really mean? Star Jackson got the backup snaps and by the time the championship game rolled around he was overtaken by someone that hadn't taken any. Cooper Bateman got the snaps last year and was passed up by two different guy that didn't get any. So, I just can't think of an meaningful advantage burning either redshirt provides, but I can think of an advantage that bringing in a more experienced QB provides.

I'd also add that if one of those guys loses a year of eligibility, they'll hear that clock ticking even more and think about transferring more, not less. But, to get back to an earlier point I made, I don't know what kind of situation Saban is actually in. He might have to fulfill a promise, he might not have the numbers to bring in a graduate transfer, and he might not have any viable options. So, I'm just speaking of what I'd prefer, but I can't imagine Saban's ideal scenario includes a combined one season of experience at the position. I said last year I felt 4 scholarship QBs was bare minimum and look how things played out. Hurts obviously burned his redshirt, Cornwell was apparently hurt, Barnett transferred mid-season, and there was talk that Bateman's transfer might leave him out of the championship game. We even spent some time discussing Stewart at QB. Remember, Ohio State lost two starting QBs on a championship run. So, I'd be a lot comfortable with a fourth scholarship QB, that's for sure.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It could happen, but if they are wise they'll let things play out for a year or two. One or both might sit this year, but they'd likely be sitting most other places too...unless they transferred to a weak program with no qb depth.

I respect Cornwell and Bateman and Morris for sticking with the program until it was obvious it had moved on without them. I think it would still be in Tua and Jones best interest to do the same. Shoot, one freak play and one of them is likely starting for the best team in the nation next year.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Had lunch with a former player who was at the last scrimmage. He said it was very noticeable that Jalen had improved his passing. That being he said that Jalen still doesn't trust what he sees when throwing the ball making him a count late on some throws. But you can tell the team is his.

However, he said Tua is technically very accomplished as a passer with a very quick delivery, better and throwing to a spot, throwing WRs open, and comfortable moving to 2 and 3 options. His drawbacks are his height and slight build. Said he could be a legitimate come from behind option when all out passing is needed.

That being said, i would prepare him as the backup and insert him if Jalen is off and we are behind to try and maintain a winning streak. If we drop a game without playing him then I would redshirt him. Both Tua and Mac should be competing for the privilege to redshirt as odd as that sounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I alluded to two audio clips I listened to, one of those ended up being discussed more than I wanted. In the other, Dilfer did have a lot of very nice things to say about Tua. I'm willing to be an optimist and look at the bright side, though we've seen hype get out of control with guys like Phillip Sims, Blake Barnett, and even Jacob Coker (there was a period of time where the debate wasn't if he would start but if he would leave early). I'm willing to concede that he's the best passer Alabama has right now, but that's one reason I don't see an advantage in burning his redshirt. As good as he may be, in terms of talent and potential, being physically and mentally ready to take over the starting job is almost certainly beyond his reach. And if it is, I'd like him to preserve a year of eligibility... That reminds me, Dilfer said something about Hurts that really stuck with me. Toughness, and I think that applies to both mental and physical. The Ole Miss game is a great example of that, he took a devastating hit, and not only did he get back up, he got back up and did something the last couple QBs couldn't do, which was lead a comeback against Ole Miss. Tua might be special, but so is Hurts of course. I really like the idea of both of them playing as many games as possible in Alabama uniforms.

That's the thing though, I don't think win now mode would include the possibility of suddenly thrusting a true freshman into a starting role because of injury. To me, the safest possible situation is to have a graduate transfer. If that also saves eligibility for Tua and Jones? Alright then, that helps now and later. I think people might overestimate the advantage of getting a few snaps here or there. It uses up a year of eligibility, but how much does it really mean? Star Jackson got the backup snaps and by the time the championship game rolled around he was overtaken by someone that hadn't taken any. Cooper Bateman got the snaps last year and was passed up by two different guy that didn't get any. So, I just can't think of an meaningful advantage burning either redshirt provides, but I can think of an advantage that bringing in a more experienced QB provides.

I'd also add that if one of those guys loses a year of eligibility, they'll hear that clock ticking even more and think about transferring more, not less. But, to get back to an earlier point I made, I don't know what kind of situation Saban is actually in. He might have to fulfill a promise, he might not have the numbers to bring in a graduate transfer, and he might not have any viable options. So, I'm just speaking of what I'd prefer, but I can't imagine Saban's ideal scenario includes a combined one season of experience at the position. I said last year I felt 4 scholarship QBs was bare minimum and look how things played out. Hurts obviously burned his redshirt, Cornwell was apparently hurt, Barnett transferred mid-season, and there was talk that Bateman's transfer might leave him out of the championship game. We even spent some time discussing Stewart at QB. Remember, Ohio State lost two starting QBs on a championship run. So, I'd be a lot comfortable with a fourth scholarship QB, that's for sure.
I agree with most of your post but we would be replacing one unknown in the true freshman that are actually on campus now taking reps vs a future graduate quarterback that transferred because he isn't getting playing time, unless your thinking a quarterback that starts somewhere is going to transfer as a backup for us. I honestly don't even think it's a toss up. If Tua or Mac are impressing coaches much like Jalen did last year then why not play one of them as the 2nd best quarterback on the team.

When you say there is an advantage in bringing in a quarterback with more experience I'm curious how he got his experience? I'm not trying to argue because you may have a great point, I'm just trying to figure out how you get a graduate transfer to play backup with experience unless he played in mop up just like we will ask the two freshman to do.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Assuming no injuries, both stay through this season and next spring whether they play or not in 2017. However, if one is clearly ahead of the other for the 2nd spot going into summer camp in 2018, hence next in line to start, there is almost no chance that the person coming in 3rd will stick around. And remember that you will keep recruiting QBs.

All that said, if Jalen wins the job this year, I really hope that you find a way to keep Tua on the team. They both seem like special guys who can be leaders on and off the field. Guys like that win championships.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alabama has 26 five stars. Georgia has 10. Everyone else is in single digits. Alabama also has more 4 stars than anyone else in conference. Now, with all these stars I do not know how many are on Offence but I was discussing this with a friend the other day about how Coach Saban has enough talent to have two O lines. One O line could practice pass blocking and the other run blocking.

How hard would it be for LSU, for example, to prepare for a running team and a passing team on the same Saturday? I know it won't happen but I like the sound of it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama has 26 five stars. Georgia has 10. Everyone else is in single digits. Alabama also has more 4 stars than anyone else in conference. Now, with all these stars I do not know how many are on Offence but I was discussing this with a friend the other day about how Coach Saban has enough talent to have two O lines. One O line could practice pass blocking and the other run blocking.

How hard would it be for LSU, for example, to prepare for a running team and a passing team on the same Saturday? I know it won't happen but I like the sound of it.
Actually, that would seem pretty easy because it would tell the defense what the offense is going to do. Plus, it would slow down the rhythm of the offense.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I realize many on here don't particularly care for my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. Let me first say that regardless of what some may think, I like Jalen Hurts. He is a class act and excellent player. IMO we have to look at a few questions. Has Jalen improved his passing skills and reading defenses as many believe? Can Tua or Mac play under the pressure of SEC competition? Can they master the playbook? Can they read defenses? We know to a certain degree that Jalen is durable, but how about Tua and Mac? These are some things we won't know until we see it in real time. I believe Jalen was the best option last year (due to his competition) and he proved that to be true. His competition this year is much stronger (or so it seems). Jalen will be our starter this year but one of the freshman will play a lot. With the transfer mentality these days (not that I blame them), I think the 2018 and 2019 QB commitments should and will be high priority.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I realize many on here don't particularly care for my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. Let me first say that regardless of what some may think, I like Jalen Hurts. He is a class act and excellent player. IMO we have to look at a few questions. Has Jalen improved his passing skills and reading defenses as many believe? Can Tua or Mac play under the pressure of SEC competition? Can they master the playbook? Can they read defenses? We know to a certain degree that Jalen is durable, but how about Tua and Mac? These are some things we won't know until we see it in real time. I believe Jalen was the best option last year (due to his competition) and he proved that to be true. His competition this year is much stronger (or so it seems). Jalen will be our starter this year but one of the freshman will play a lot. With the transfer mentality these days (not that I blame them), I think the 2018 and 2019 QB commitments should and will be high priority.
I respect your opinion, but it sounds like you are assuming JH is not going to improve much if you believe one of the freshmen will play a lot. If I'm misunderstanding I apologize.

I think we have to allow JH (and it sounds like the CNS agrees) to prove he's gotten better. Early indications this is true. It would be shocking if he regresses.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.