Link: College football coaching tiers: From Hall of Fame resumes to murky futures

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm sorry, but....just, no.

Shaw had a great record when he inherited what was in place - that Harbaugh put there. When it became his own recruits, he had a downward bump, but it's to his credit he has kept it going. Remember - Shaw inherited Andrew Luck.

And would Christian McCaffrey be at Stanford if his Daddy hadn't been there? Shaw lucked into that one, too.

In each place he's gone, he was better than what they had - certainly before him and so far at the 49ers AFTER him, too. (I think an interesting discussion/argument could be had about Shaw/Harbaugh, but I think both are good coaches). But I also agree with your larger point here - Harbaugh seems to be a sort of Lane Kiffin-like character in his insistence on being stupid when he could just be silent. I actually "get" his rudeness to Pete Carroll as a new idiotic coach trying to be a bit of an intimidator. But he's at UM now, his alma mater, and his tough talking act will only be tolerated for so long. He wasn't hired to lose to Ohio State.

I'd say Harbaugh right now is sort of where Mack Brown was around 2002-2004 at Texas, a guy at a big program who has done pretty good (but not stellar) at his other jobs and is now perched at the precipice of going the next step. Just mho.
Shaw won 3 PAC 12 titles to Harbaugh's 0. Harbaugh's biggest moment at Stanford was beating a mark Sanchez USC team. After 07 it became clear that USC was done. Harbaugh had most of Luck's tenure but couldn't produce a PAC 12 title. Granted Shaw got boatraced in 2011 with Luck vs Oregon, but Shaw also was the Mariota killer as well. And won with Hogan as his qb.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Shaw won 3 PAC 12 titles to Harbaugh's 0.
True, but that's about like Les Miles winning with Saban's recruits in their fourth year, too. He won his second and third years and his fifth. And unlike Harbaugh, he didn't have to build a program, he took over a top ten team.

Harbaugh's biggest moment at Stanford was beating a mark Sanchez USC team. After 07 it became clear that USC was done. Harbaugh had most of Luck's tenure but couldn't produce a PAC 12 title. Granted Shaw got boatraced in 2011 with Luck vs Oregon, but Shaw also was the Mariota killer as well. And won with Hogan as his qb.
Well, I don't argue any of those facts, but what doesn't change is the fact Shaw inherited Harbaugh's team, Harbaugh inherited a train wreck - so he had fewer realistic chances at winning the Pac 12.

And btw- 2008 USC blew out a two-time BCS participant Ohio State team less than a year later. In fact, USC went 25-3 after that Stanford loss before imploding in 2009.

Harbaugh isn't in the Saban-Meyer class, he IS a bit of a bully boy, and he seems to underachieve commensurate to his reputation. But he isn't a bad coach.

Based on what I've seen of Shaw, I honestly wouldn't mind him taking over for Saban when CNS leaves. He actually tries to field a defense, unlike the rest of the Pac 12.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Not to pick on Auburn but...Gus Malzahn is in the same tier of coach as Harbaugh or - more relevant here - Chris Petersen?

Look at something that will blow your minds:
Gene Chizik, four years, 33-19, one SEC title, one national title, one unbeaten season
Malzahn, four years, 35-18, one SEC title, one national title game appearance.
Terry Bowden, 5 1/2, 47-17, one SEC West title, one unbeaten season (in Bowden's last 4 1/2 years, he was still
36-17, which is one game better than Malzahn - and remember that six of those 17 losses came in his last
eight games as coach)

In his last four years:
Tommy Tuberville, 34-16, nothing (but had an unbeaten season in 2004, right before his last four years)

I mean, how does this somehow make Malzahn BETTER than his company here? And that first year had enough flukes to open up a parasitology lab, most notably the Georgia and Alabama miracles. His record is a game behind Terry Bowden and only 1 1/2 ahead of Chizik.

Does any sane person think Gene Chizik is in the Barry Alvarez tier?

Malzahn's SEC record since the infamous Kick Six game is 12-13. That's not Barry Alvarez tier, that's Houston Nutt SEC coaching right there.

He's lost to every team in the SEC West at least once, and it only took him three years.

We're talking about Harbaugh hype but THIS one......I mean, the guy is an 8-4 regular season coach. Nothing wrong with that at Auburn but......he's gotten a lot of mileage out of two plays for Pete's sake.
You're bringing statistics and rationality into a subjective discussion...this just isn't fair. :cool:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
True, but that's about like Les Miles winning with Saban's recruits in their fourth year, too. He won his second and third years and his fifth. And unlike Harbaugh, he didn't have to build a program, he took over a top ten team.

Well, I don't argue any of those facts, but what doesn't change is the fact Shaw inherited Harbaugh's team, Harbaugh inherited a train wreck - so he had fewer realistic chances at winning the Pac 12.

And btw- 2008 USC blew out a two-time BCS participant Ohio State team less than a year later. In fact, USC went 25-3 after that Stanford loss before imploding in 2009.

Harbaugh isn't in the Saban-Meyer class, he IS a bit of a bully boy, and he seems to underachieve commensurate to his reputation. But he isn't a bad coach.

Based on what I've seen of Shaw, I honestly wouldn't mind him taking over for Saban when CNS leaves. He actually tries to field a defense, unlike the rest of the Pac 12.
I've always wondered why Shaw hasn't gotten a top 10 program to look at him... but I think he would be a person that pleases the non Dabo and non Mac group of fans if he was to be the next coach at Alabama.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've always wondered why Shaw had gotten a top 10 program to look at him... but I think he would be a person that pleases the non Dabo and non Mac group of fans if he was to be the next coach at Alabama.
Doubt he'd leave his alma mater unless we just offered him so much money he couldn't refuse it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Gus' saving grace has been injuries and the fact that the wheels have never quite come off the bus. I think with Stidham's talent, thought, he's going to need to go deep into November with a chance to win the division. If he spends the next two years playing for nothing but bragging rights in the Iron Bowl, then he's in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.