Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 8 - Case Dismissed) - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I have a white Alabama hat. Thank goodness I have never been to Crystal Beach. If the statements by DT’s legal team are true the whole case seems to be built on some pretty flimsy evidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And if that is all they've got and the alleged has a lawyer, it is idiotic for the DA to be pushing this case which will undoubtedly lower his conviction rate. This is why I think this smacks of "extraction of 1 lb of flesh." Perhaps the DA or somebody in the criminal justice system there is mad that Thompson went out of state or maybe just doesn't like his family. I'm not sure about all that but this is certainly going to lower the DA's stats so he's doing it for reasons beyond serving his career's best interest in any normal sense.
    Last edited by rgw; November 2nd, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

2. Advertisement
    FB|BB Moderator

We can debate the merits of the indictment until we're blue.

The fact remains that Thompson has been legally indicted for a felony assault, a violent crime by any definition.

I don't know how you play him until this is resolved, and then only if it is resolved in Thompson's favor.

Of course, I was member of a small minority (not a minority of one, but close to it) that advocated against DJ Pettway's re-admission to school, let alone receive a free education.

If I'm back in that boat again, I'm fine with it.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

The fact remains that Thompson has been legally indicted for a felony assault, a violent crime by any definition.

I don't know how you play him until this is resolved, and then only if it is resolved in Thompson's favor.

Of course, I was member of a small minority (not a minority of one, but close to it) that advocated against DJ Pettway's re-admission to school, let alone receive a free education.

You play him if you have sufficient information to make you believe that he is innocent. Innocent people should not be punished. Restricting him when you believe he is innocent is punishing him. If Saban cares about this kid and believe him to be innocent, he owes it to him to see him play based on his ability, not some accusation.

We've played him for the first 8 games of the year with the accusation still out there. Why change it now?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Of course, not being privy to details of the case, I do not have an informed opinion. However, Texas "justice" always seems to indict a defendant who is black when the victim is white. Just sayin'. Hopefully, Thompson will get this resolved for himself, not just as an Alabama player. These are felony charges which will follow him the rest of his life.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    We've played him for the first 8 games of the year with the accusation still out there. Why change it now?
    What's changed is that he's indicted for an violent felony.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You play him if you have sufficient information to make you believe that he is innocent. Innocent people should not be punished. Restricting him when you believe he is innocent is punishing him. If Saban cares about this kid and believe him to be innocent, he owes it to him to see him play based on his ability, not some accusation.
    It's no longer merely an accusation. It's an indictment.

To play him anyway, reasoning that the proverbial ham sandwich can be indicted, and thedecision-maker believes the indicted person to be innocent is putting a layman's legal judgment above that of the Grand Jury.

I'm not saying dismiss him from the team. I'm not saying to cut off his scholarship. I'm not even saying he should be barred from practicing.

I'm saying that people who are indicted for violent crimes shouldn't represent the University until and unless the matter is resolved in their favor.

If that's not good enough, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I think that you may be confused. Indictments are simply a decision by a grand jury that there is sufficient evidence to move forward to a trial. The grand jury does not indict because they believe a person to be guilty. They are not asked to consider guilt in any way when they decide on an indictment. And here is the most important part - only the prosecutor gets to present information to the grand jury. Thompson and his defense lawyer don't get to participate in any way to refute that information.

In other words, indictments mean absolutely jack squat when trying to determine a person's innocence or guilt.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

They are probably doing this to "squeeze" Deionte into giving up someone else and/or wearing a wire.

BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar

To play him anyway, reasoning that the proverbial ham sandwich can be indicted, and thedecision-maker believes the indicted person to be innocent is putting a layman's legal judgment above that of the Grand Jury.

I'm not saying dismiss him from the team. I'm not saying to cut off his scholarship. I'm not even saying he should be barred from practicing.

I'm saying that people who are indicted for violent crimes shouldn't represent the University until and unless the matter is resolved in their favor.

If that's not good enough, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In other words, indictments mean absolutely jack squat when trying to determine a person's innocence or guilt.
    I'm gonna go with innocent until proven guilty, the exception being with an admission of guilt prior to being tried/convicted.

Why am I such a firm believer, even in a case like this? I was accused of theft and assault one time, problem was I wasn't in the United States at the time. In fact, I was deployed overseas with my unit and had been for weeks. So aside from the few hundred witnesses stationed with me, the 30 digital ID/ video checkpoints I passed through daily, the charges were quickly dismissed. But make no mistake, I was INDICTED based off of 4 people's eye witness testimony.

Amazing how facts once they're allowed to come out can completely change testimony.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Also I'm not going to feel sorry for this kid getting his face caved in considering he's dumb enough to spit out the n-word with a hard R in mixed company. It is pathetic that his daddy isn't making his kid learn a lesson about public conduct instead of trying to be a little baby with poop britches and going after the people who gave his garbage child a corrective action to the face.

FB|BB Moderator

I think that you may be confused. Indictments are simply a decision by a grand jury that there is sufficient evidence to move forward to a trial. The grand jury does not indict because they believe a person to be guilty. They are not asked to consider guilt in any way when they decide on an indictment. And here is the most important part - only the prosecutor gets to present information to the grand jury. Thompson and his defense lawyer don't get to participate in any way to refute that information.

While we clearly disagree on this point, I assure you I have a layman's grasp of the distinctions between arrest, indictment, trial and conviction.

The way I see it, according to your logic, and since indictments are 100% irrelevant as to guilt or innocence, you play a person indicted for any violent crime, up to and including rape or murder, right to the moment of conviction.

But wait a minute...since convictions are appealable, and mistakes are sometimes made, maybe it should be until the moment of actual incarceration.

Like I said, we just see this differently. If I'm alone in that assessment, I'm good with it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Well, given his indictment for a violent crime I hope we play him more.

But seriously, I think this is a joke that it went this far given what we've heard about the investigation and what can infer from those facts. I have no problem with playing him. This isn't domestic abuse. This is someone talking @#%& and getting hit then trying to pin it on the big name friend of the guys who applied the buttwhooping. His daddy is pathetic. Shame on him. I'd let my son stew in those bruises and stitches for being a fool.

BamaNation First Team mark4tide's Avatar

If this is the way you feel about Pettway then I'm glad that you were not around when I made mistakes while growing up. Everyone is going to make stupid decisions. He took his punishment and then worked his way back. That is the way it should have been.

Why would you sit Thompson and not let him play? If he is proven guilty then deal with it then. There seems to be a lot that is still up in the air. I hate the attitude of kick him off the team without all the information. Look at what happened to the kid at Auburn a few years ago. He was accused of rape kicked off the team then the girl came out and said that she was just mad at him and he did not do it. It is very sad that a lie can ruin a kids career and reputation. Let the courts handle it and when they are done make a decision on his future.