Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 8 - Case Dismissed) - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Re: Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 5)

I have heard for years that if a DA can't get a grand jury to indict someone then he is a poor DA. Indictments are practically a rubber stamp. From what I have seen the past couple of years I would say that I agree with that.

This explains why so much of our $$$$$ and time is wasted try to prosecute people who go free. No wonder the courts are backed up for months on end.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    While we clearly disagree on this point, I assure you I have a layman's grasp of the distinctions between arrest, indictment, trial and conviction.

The way I see it, according to your logic, and since indictments are 100% irrelevant as to guilt or innocence, you play a person indicted for any violent crime, up to and including rape or murder, right to the moment of conviction.

But wait a minute...since convictions are appealable, and mistakes are sometimes made, maybe it should be until the moment of actual incarceration.

Like I said, we just see this differently. If I'm alone in that assessment, I'm good with it.
    I am not sure that you really understand what happens in a grand jury proceeding. In this case there is video evidence that disputes eye witness testimony. You can bet that the grand jury only saw what the prosecutor wanted them to see. They might not have seen the video at all, or only seen a tiny portion of the video that pointed to his guilt. But you can bet that they heard from the witnesses who saw him commit the crime. That may be all that they saw or heard. That is how prosecutors get indictments - by only providing evidence which makes a person look guilty. They never - say it with me - NEVER - provide evidence which might persuade a grand jury that a person should not be indicted.

I cannot see how any reasonable person would want to punish a person under these circumstances. This isn't a difference of opinion - it is a totally different world view.

Saban has kicked guys off the team for less than an indictment. The fact that this is 7-8 months old, and he's still on the team should indicate how strong UA and DT's lawyer feel about his case and his innocence.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I am not sure that you really understand what happens in a grand jury proceeding. In this case there is video evidence that disputes eye witness testimony. You can bet that the grand jury only saw what the prosecutor wanted them to see. They might not have seen the video at all, or only seen a tiny portion of the video that pointed to his guilt. But you can bet that they heard from the witnesses who saw him commit the crime. That may be all that they saw or heard. That is how prosecutors get indictments - by only providing evidence which makes a person look guilty. They never - say it with me - NEVER - provide evidence which might persuade a grand jury that a person should not be indicted.

I cannot see how any reasonable person would want to punish a person under these circumstances. This isn't a difference of opinion - it is a totally different world view.
    This, exactly. The defense doesn't get a turn in a grand jury proceeding unless you jump through hoops to get it. Indictment does not mean GUILTY. I had a case I worked on last year with an 18 year old kid accused of rape. He was black and she was white and she absolutely consented and had a trail of lies on the internet that would prove the sex was consensual. Her parents filed the charges because he was black. The attorney I was working with decided that if the charges weren't dropped before the grand jury, we would be there to present our case. Something that is never done but we were ready to do it to prove this kid was innocent and save his family lots of money for lawyers they really didn't need.

BamaNation All-American

As a defense attorney friend said . . ."You can indict a ham sandwich"

BamaNation All-American

let me start by saying I am not a lawyer. by any means but I' have served on a grand jury years ago. The DA presents his case with no input whatsoever from the defendant so it is almost a rubber stamp. In this case, DT may be completely innocent and the DA may be hoping he turns on his friends, so he has more to prosecute them. If what we have heard is correct, I suspect this may be why he was indicted.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    let me start by saying I am not a lawyer. by any means but I' have served on a grand jury years ago. The DA presents his case with no input whatsoever from the defendant so it is almost a rubber stamp. In this case, DT may be completely innocent and the DA may be hoping he turns on his friends, so he has more to prosecute them. If what we have heard is correct, I suspect this may be why he was indicted.
    I was talking to a friend about this and he came to the same conclusion. DA using the indictment and associated fear as leverage to get Thompson to testify against his friends.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson