Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 8 - Case Dismissed)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Warrant Issued for Deionte Thompson's Arrest (Update on Page 5)

We can debate the merits of the indictment until we're blue.

The fact remains that Thompson has been legally indicted for a felony assault, a violent crime by any definition.

I don't know how you play him until this is resolved, and then only if it is resolved in Thompson's favor.

Of course, I was member of a small minority (not a minority of one, but close to it) that advocated against DJ Pettway's re-admission to school, let alone receive a free education.

If I'm back in that boat again, I'm fine with it.
You play him if you have sufficient information to make you believe that he is innocent. Innocent people should not be punished. Restricting him when you believe he is innocent is punishing him. If Saban cares about this kid and believe him to be innocent, he owes it to him to see him play based on his ability, not some accusation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The fact remains that Thompson has been legally indicted for a felony assault, a violent crime by any definition.

I don't know how you play him until this is resolved, and then only if it is resolved in Thompson's favor.

Of course, I was member of a small minority (not a minority of one, but close to it) that advocated against DJ Pettway's re-admission to school, let alone receive a free education.

We've played him for the first 8 games of the year with the accusation still out there. Why change it now?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

Of course, not being privy to details of the case, I do not have an informed opinion. However, Texas "justice" always seems to indict a defendant who is black when the victim is white. Just sayin'. Hopefully, Thompson will get this resolved for himself, not just as an Alabama player. These are felony charges which will follow him the rest of his life.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

We've played him for the first 8 games of the year with the accusation still out there. Why change it now?
What's changed is that he's indicted for an violent felony.

You play him if you have sufficient information to make you believe that he is innocent. Innocent people should not be punished. Restricting him when you believe he is innocent is punishing him. If Saban cares about this kid and believe him to be innocent, he owes it to him to see him play based on his ability, not some accusation.
It's no longer merely an accusation. It's an indictment.

To play him anyway, reasoning that the proverbial ham sandwich can be indicted, and thedecision-maker believes the indicted person to be innocent is putting a layman's legal judgment above that of the Grand Jury.

I'm not saying dismiss him from the team. I'm not saying to cut off his scholarship. I'm not even saying he should be barred from practicing.

I'm saying that people who are indicted for violent crimes shouldn't represent the University until and unless the matter is resolved in their favor.

If that's not good enough, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think that you may be confused. Indictments are simply a decision by a grand jury that there is sufficient evidence to move forward to a trial. The grand jury does not indict because they believe a person to be guilty. They are not asked to consider guilt in any way when they decide on an indictment. And here is the most important part - only the prosecutor gets to present information to the grand jury. Thompson and his defense lawyer don't get to participate in any way to refute that information.

In other words, indictments mean absolutely jack squat when trying to determine a person's innocence or guilt.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

They are probably doing this to "squeeze" Deionte into giving up someone else and/or wearing a wire.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

To play him anyway, reasoning that the proverbial ham sandwich can be indicted, and thedecision-maker believes the indicted person to be innocent is putting a layman's legal judgment above that of the Grand Jury.

I'm not saying dismiss him from the team. I'm not saying to cut off his scholarship. I'm not even saying he should be barred from practicing.

I'm saying that people who are indicted for violent crimes shouldn't represent the University until and unless the matter is resolved in their favor.

If that's not good enough, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

In other words, indictments mean absolutely jack squat when trying to determine a person's innocence or guilt.
I'm gonna go with innocent until proven guilty, the exception being with an admission of guilt prior to being tried/convicted.

Why am I such a firm believer, even in a case like this? I was accused of theft and assault one time, problem was I wasn't in the United States at the time. In fact, I was deployed overseas with my unit and had been for weeks. So aside from the few hundred witnesses stationed with me, the 30 digital ID/ video checkpoints I passed through daily, the charges were quickly dismissed. But make no mistake, I was INDICTED based off of 4 people's eye witness testimony.

Amazing how facts once they're allowed to come out can completely change testimony.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Also I'm not going to feel sorry for this kid getting his face caved in considering he's dumb enough to spit out the n-word with a hard R in mixed company. It is pathetic that his daddy isn't making his kid learn a lesson about public conduct instead of trying to be a little baby with poop britches and going after the people who gave his garbage child a corrective action to the face.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I think that you may be confused. Indictments are simply a decision by a grand jury that there is sufficient evidence to move forward to a trial. The grand jury does not indict because they believe a person to be guilty. They are not asked to consider guilt in any way when they decide on an indictment. And here is the most important part - only the prosecutor gets to present information to the grand jury. Thompson and his defense lawyer don't get to participate in any way to refute that information.

While we clearly disagree on this point, I assure you I have a layman's grasp of the distinctions between arrest, indictment, trial and conviction.

The way I see it, according to your logic, and since indictments are 100% irrelevant as to guilt or innocence, you play a person indicted for any violent crime, up to and including rape or murder, right to the moment of conviction.

But wait a minute...since convictions are appealable, and mistakes are sometimes made, maybe it should be until the moment of actual incarceration.

Like I said, we just see this differently. If I'm alone in that assessment, I'm good with it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well, given his indictment for a violent crime I hope we play him more.

But seriously, I think this is a joke that it went this far given what we've heard about the investigation and what can infer from those facts. I have no problem with playing him. This isn't domestic abuse. This is someone talking @#%& and getting hit then trying to pin it on the big name friend of the guys who applied the buttwhooping. His daddy is pathetic. Shame on him. I'd let my son stew in those bruises and stitches for being a fool.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL

If this is the way you feel about Pettway then I'm glad that you were not around when I made mistakes while growing up. Everyone is going to make stupid decisions. He took his punishment and then worked his way back. That is the way it should have been.

Why would you sit Thompson and not let him play? If he is proven guilty then deal with it then. There seems to be a lot that is still up in the air. I hate the attitude of kick him off the team without all the information. Look at what happened to the kid at Auburn a few years ago. He was accused of rape kicked off the team then the girl came out and said that she was just mad at him and he did not do it. It is very sad that a lie can ruin a kids career and reputation. Let the courts handle it and when they are done make a decision on his future.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I have heard for years that if a DA can't get a grand jury to indict someone then he is a poor DA. Indictments are practically a rubber stamp. From what I have seen the past couple of years I would say that I agree with that.

This explains why so much of our $$$$$ and time is wasted try to prosecute people who go free. No wonder the courts are backed up for months on end.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

While we clearly disagree on this point, I assure you I have a layman's grasp of the distinctions between arrest, indictment, trial and conviction.

The way I see it, according to your logic, and since indictments are 100% irrelevant as to guilt or innocence, you play a person indicted for any violent crime, up to and including rape or murder, right to the moment of conviction.

But wait a minute...since convictions are appealable, and mistakes are sometimes made, maybe it should be until the moment of actual incarceration.

Like I said, we just see this differently. If I'm alone in that assessment, I'm good with it.
I am not sure that you really understand what happens in a grand jury proceeding. In this case there is video evidence that disputes eye witness testimony. You can bet that the grand jury only saw what the prosecutor wanted them to see. They might not have seen the video at all, or only seen a tiny portion of the video that pointed to his guilt. But you can bet that they heard from the witnesses who saw him commit the crime. That may be all that they saw or heard. That is how prosecutors get indictments - by only providing evidence which makes a person look guilty. They never - say it with me - NEVER - provide evidence which might persuade a grand jury that a person should not be indicted.

I cannot see how any reasonable person would want to punish a person under these circumstances. This isn't a difference of opinion - it is a totally different world view.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban has kicked guys off the team for less than an indictment. The fact that this is 7-8 months old, and he's still on the team should indicate how strong UA and DT's lawyer feel about his case and his innocence.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

I am not sure that you really understand what happens in a grand jury proceeding. In this case there is video evidence that disputes eye witness testimony. You can bet that the grand jury only saw what the prosecutor wanted them to see. They might not have seen the video at all, or only seen a tiny portion of the video that pointed to his guilt. But you can bet that they heard from the witnesses who saw him commit the crime. That may be all that they saw or heard. That is how prosecutors get indictments - by only providing evidence which makes a person look guilty. They never - say it with me - NEVER - provide evidence which might persuade a grand jury that a person should not be indicted.

I cannot see how any reasonable person would want to punish a person under these circumstances. This isn't a difference of opinion - it is a totally different world view.
This, exactly. The defense doesn't get a turn in a grand jury proceeding unless you jump through hoops to get it. Indictment does not mean GUILTY. I had a case I worked on last year with an 18 year old kid accused of rape. He was black and she was white and she absolutely consented and had a trail of lies on the internet that would prove the sex was consensual. Her parents filed the charges because he was black. The attorney I was working with decided that if the charges weren't dropped before the grand jury, we would be there to present our case. Something that is never done but we were ready to do it to prove this kid was innocent and save his family lots of money for lawyers they really didn't need.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

let me start by saying I am not a lawyer. by any means but I' have served on a grand jury years ago. The DA presents his case with no input whatsoever from the defendant so it is almost a rubber stamp. In this case, DT may be completely innocent and the DA may be hoping he turns on his friends, so he has more to prosecute them. If what we have heard is correct, I suspect this may be why he was indicted.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

let me start by saying I am not a lawyer. by any means but I' have served on a grand jury years ago. The DA presents his case with no input whatsoever from the defendant so it is almost a rubber stamp. In this case, DT may be completely innocent and the DA may be hoping he turns on his friends, so he has more to prosecute them. If what we have heard is correct, I suspect this may be why he was indicted.
I was talking to a friend about this and he came to the same conclusion. DA using the indictment and associated fear as leverage to get Thompson to testify against his friends.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.