NCAA Rule Proposals Approved

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm guessing this stupid early signing period will result in fewer commitable offers and more insanity in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the risk of stating the obvious, I would think that the more who sign in December, the fewer the slots in February. Potential for lots of pressure on those that choose to wait. It`ll be interesting to say the least.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is probably the most likely reason - or at least one of the biggest contributors to it.

Reminder - every school pays players. Some are better at hiding it than others.

That being said, none are dumb enough to make the payments with the school's money that would show up on public records.
I shoulda put that in blue font, or a smiley. I was aiming that at Ole Miss and the Camsters.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
At the risk of stating the obvious, I would think that the more who sign in December, the fewer the slots in February. Potential for lots of pressure on those that choose to wait. It`ll be interesting to say the least.
This goes back to what the 247 guys said yesterday.

Do the P5 schools hold out offers to backup plans to see what happens with the big fish, which allows midmajors and lower tier P5 teams to sign those guys? Or do teams take the chance of signing guys and hoping the late bloomers aren't great?

I can see this having an effect on coaching decisions.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
At this point, I think I like the idea of an early signing period. It's the ultimate test to the kids that have committed to the offer you've extended. If they are truly committed, they'll go ahead and sign in the early period. If they opt not to, then they weren't really committed to begin with and better for the staff to know that in December than February. Nothing really changes for the 'big fish' intent on waiting until the February signing date, schools will still wait on those elite types. I don't see any school signing their whole class in December as there will still be questions on grades and such, so there will likely still be a slot for the recruit that pops up late in the process. I'm sure there are likely pitfalls as well but it will be interesting to see how schools and recruits adapt.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This goes back to what the 247 guys said yesterday.

Do the P5 schools hold out offers to backup plans to see what happens with the big fish, which allows midmajors and lower tier P5 teams to sign those guys? Or do teams take the chance of signing guys and hoping the late bloomers aren't great?

I can see this having an effect on coaching decisions.

This is where having a HC who can evaluate talent comes in. ROLL TIDE ROLL.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I believe this rule was proposed by the Big 10 schools because they felt at a disadvantage of the southern schools who had prospects on site in January without 6 ft of snow and a gale blowing. I personally don't think this will be an advantage for the Tide.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.