NCAA Rule Proposals Approved

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Per reports, will be December 20th.

Personally, I believe this is a great thing and helps our program significantly because we're no longer going to be at the whim of a kid who wavers and wants to hold out for the last minute. We should know the vast majority of our class earlier and the drama will be gone.

On the downside, ESPNU just lost a full day of programming. A 3-day period right during the beginnings of Bowl Season won't have the drama of a single day in the doldrums of February.

Click

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Early Signing Day Approved By NCAA

Per reports, will be December 20th.

Personally, I believe this is a great thing and helps our program significantly because we're no longer going to be at the whim of a kid who wavers and wants to hold out for the last minute. We should know the vast majority of our class earlier and the drama will be gone.

On the downside, ESPNU just lost a full day of programming. A 3-day period right during the beginnings of Bowl Season won't have the drama of a single day in the doldrums of February.

Click
On the flip side, we better know who is leaving early for the draft and who plans to return by December 20.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
NCAA passes early signing day

The " most impactful piece of football recruiting legislation in 25 years " has in fact been passed.

On Friday, the NCAA's Division I Council voted in favor of an early signing period, which will dramatically alter the recruiting landscape in the future. The council passed the legislation as part of a bundled, congressional-like bill that also allows coaches to recruit at camps and clinics. However, this legislation will restrict when and where that recruitment can occur.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-signing-period-for-college-football-players/

At last. I think this has been needed for a while. Now probably only the drama queens will hold out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NCAA passes early signing day

Moved the thread from the recruiting board to the football board since one gets more traffic during the off season.

From two 247 writers:

1.jpg

2.jpg

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The 10th assistant proposal was approved. The effective date is January 9, 2018, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Full release from the NCAA

The new legislation accomplishes several things:

• It changes the recruiting calendar to allow for an early signing period in December (effective Aug. 1). Only the Collegiate Commissioners Association can create new National Letter of Intent signing periods.
  • It adds a period for official visits that begins April 1 of the junior year and ends the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June of that year. Official visits can’t occur in conjunction with a prospect’s participation in a school’s camp or clinic (effective Aug. 1).
  • It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).
  • Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).
  • It limits the time for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches to participate in camps and clinics to 10 days in June and July and requires that the camps take place on a school’s campus or in facilities regularly used by the school for practice or competition. Staff members with football-specific responsibilities are subject to the same restrictions. The Football Championship Subdivision can conduct and participate in camps during the months of June and July (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).
  • It allows coaches employed at a camp or clinic to have recruiting conversations with prospects participating in camps and clinics and requires educational sessions at all camps and clinics detailing initial eligibility standards, gambling rules, agent rules and drug regulations (effective immediately).
  • It allows Football Bowl Subdivision schools to hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you go to the Bama website -- and the Football Staff Directory has 32 people.....Notre Dame has 47.

I saw it on the internet, so it has to be true

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What I don't understand - Alabama football has a huge excess in cash. If the staff is so much bigger than everyone else, what are the other schools doing to lose so much money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What I don't understand - Alabama football has a huge excess in cash. If the staff is so much bigger than everyone else, what are the other schools doing to lose so much money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paying ridiculously high buyouts to multiple coaches that the administration should have been smart enough to disapprove..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Paying ridiculously high buyouts to multiple coaches that the administration should have been smart enough to disapprove..
This is probably the most likely reason - or at least one of the biggest contributors to it.

Paying players and trying to catch Bama.
Reminder - every school pays players. Some are better at hiding it than others.

That being said, none are dumb enough to make the payments with the school's money that would show up on public records.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The main takeaway I had from the rule changes is that the SEC is now less handicapped by that stupid signing limit. The SEC passed the rule years ago, expecting to get it passed a NCAA rule. Instead, they had to go through several years of what was essentially scholarship reductions while FSU, Clemson, etc... didn't have to deal with that.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's the same old song & dance since Coach Saban has been our HC, if they can't beat or out recruit Bama head to head, change the rule to try & beat "The Process"..

Coach Saban will do what only he does best by adjusting to the new rules & still beat heck out of whoever we face.."The Process" will continue no matter what happens..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.