Big Ten howling mad at SEC.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Both the SEC and the Big 10 are trying to do what they think is best for their conference. However, they go about it in vastly different ways.

The SEC just does it and doesn't talk very much about it. The Big 10 trumpets it from the highest mountain, and does it in a holier-than-thou manner. Delaney looks down his nose so much he has to have a permanent crick in his neck.

The Big 10 office are some hypocritical SOBs, and that's the part that grates far more than their actions.
Selma could probably remember this from some years ago. Some bigshot media type was taking heat about a Big Ten team having lots of probations and he said, "when the Southern teams cheat it is on purpose. When the Big Ten teams cheat they do not mean to." Yes, this is that double standard, holier-than-thou attitude you are talking about.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
If the B10 wanted every player to get ice cream after every game and the SEC was against it, the B10 would be whiny about it. If the SEC wanted every player to get ice cream after every game the B10 would be whiny about it, and so on and so forth.:rolleyes:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Selma could probably remember this from some years ago. Some bigshot media type was taking heat about a Big Ten team having lots of probations and he said, "when the Southern teams cheat it is on purpose. When the Big Ten teams cheat they do not mean to." Yes, this is that double standard, holier-than-thou attitude you are talking about.
The sad irony is that the Big 10 managed to turn itself into a uniquely corrupted cesspool. From repeated shenanigans at Ohio State (anyone remember Maurice Clarett?), Penn State darn near doing the worst thing imaginable, and a Michigan coach seeing how far he can stretch every rule he can find (if he was an SEC coach its easy to imagine he'd already be in trouble). The truth of the matter is the NCAA has a kinder gentler approach when it comes to the Big 10, that's the real difference. If you doubt that, take a look at is the pinky promise they had Ohio State players make when they let them play in their bowl games even with upcoming suspensions (of course that blew up in everyone's face but the NCAA made their best efforts to be nice to Ohio State). There's even some rational as to why the NCAA prefers the Big 10 (the Big 10 is more loyal to the NCAA).

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Demographics and a dearth of human and social capital are going to rot the Big Ten from the inside - and they're doing all they can to hold back the tide.

Pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The sad irony is that the Big 10 managed to turn itself into a uniquely corrupted cesspool..
Seriously, this post is idiotic. Look around college football, and college sports in general. The B1G isn't unique in any of the things going on.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Demographics and a dearth of human and social capital are going to rot the Big Ten from the inside - and they're doing all they can to hold back the tide.
Totally agree - the steel belt has become the rust belt and few Midwestern states have even tried to reinvent themselves. There is little to attract young people to the Midwest today.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Totally agree - the steel belt has become the rust belt and few Midwestern states have even tried to reinvent themselves. There is little to attract young people to the Midwest today.
There was a surprisingly good piece on al.com a while back that discussed the regrowth of the steel belt via the tech sector - but noting that the sons of software engineers are unlikely to play football in the same manner as the sons of auto workers and corn farmers. Sad and poignant.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Seriously, this post is idiotic. Look around college football, and college sports in general. The B1G isn't unique in any of the things going on.
Yes, Sanduskys and Harbaughs everywhere you look!

Seriously though, I never called any of your posts idiotic. Even when you said Hurts was one of the worst passers in college football...

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think the bigger issue is that the blue bloods among those Big 10 look at the also-rans within their conference and confuse their mediocrity on the field for purity in recruiting all the while they enjoy beating those teams year in and year out. In their ignorance they assume that the weak teams in the SEC are all Vanderbilts while in reality every weak team in the conference has 2-6 players who could start for Bama, LSU, UGA, etc while Purdue, Illinois, etc have MAC-level rosters that could hardly sniff the second string at Ohio State.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think the bigger issue is that the blue bloods among those Big 10 look at the also-rans within their conference and confuse their mediocrity on the field for purity in recruiting all the while they enjoy beating those teams year in and year out. In their ignorance they assume that the weak teams in the SEC are all Vanderbilts while in reality every weak team in the conference has 2-6 players who could start for Bama, LSU, UGA, etc while Purdue, Illinois, etc have MAC-level rosters that could hardly sniff the second string at Ohio State.

One only has to watch the NFL draft every spring to know this.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

FOUR star recruits over the past five years: Purdue 1, Minnesota 2, Iowa 2, Illinois 3, Indiana 5, Northwestern 6 and Rutgers 7.
FOUR star recruits over the past five years: Missouri 9, Vanderbilt 10, Kentucky 18, Miss St 21, Arkansas 24 and S Carolina 36.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
There was a surprisingly good piece on al.com a while back that discussed the regrowth of the steel belt via the tech sector - but noting that the sons of software engineers are unlikely to play football in the same manner as the sons of auto workers and corn farmers. Sad and poignant.
I've seen the sites, that used to house steel mills, in Pittsburgh. All with shiny new glass office buildings. Folks up there say it is turning into a s/w town.

My thought is any s/w engineer, that moves there..............well, they have other problems. Expecting them to raise an offensive lineman just isn't going to happen.

BTW, as to the title of the thread.................you could drop the "at SEC" part, and most would probably approve.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Big Ten needs to focus more on scoring points in playoff games. They have a scoreless quarters streak of 'eight and counting'

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, Sanduskys and Harbaughs everywhere you look!

Seriously though, I never called any of your posts idiotic. Even when you said Hurts was one of the worst passers in college football...
Sorry, I posted in haste. Not idiotic, just not up to your usual standard.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
We Brits would probably call it "slightly miffed" at the idea of Juniors being allowed to make official visits in the fine weather months up north. Of course, any teen with a smart phone can dial up the weather all year round at every institution they are interest in.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
"The bottom line," one Big Ten coach said, "is that the SEC doesn't want change. If it's not good for their league, they will fight it."

Really? It wasn't the SEC five years ago married to the football of 1950 when they proposed that the Rose Bowl be part of the four-team playoff by preserving the traditional Big Ten-Pac 12 match-up.

In the latter plan, the four highest-ranked teams at the end of the regular season would meet in semifinals unless the Big Ten or Pac-12 champ, or both, were among the top four. Those leagues' teams still would meet in the Rose, and the next highest-ranked team or teams would slide into the semis. The national championship finalists would be selected after those three games.

Yeah, the SEC is the only conference that does this.
I did a copy of the same quote to 'howl' at the hypocrisy, but everybody else did such a fantastic job of pointing that out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We Brits would probably call it "slightly miffed" at the idea of Juniors being allowed to make official visits in the fine weather months up north. Of course, any teen with a smart phone can dial up the weather all year round at every institution they are interest in.
True, but that's not the same as experiencing the weather first hand, and the PTB up there are well aware of that. It's one thing for you phone to say it's zero and to step out into it...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
True, but that's not the same as experiencing the weather first hand, and the PTB up there are well aware of that. It's one thing for you phone to say it's zero and to step out into it...
That is so true. Looking at a box of cake mix, a couple of eggs and a cup of sugar is not the same as eating cake. The current weather can tell you temp, humidity and wind speed but that is not the same as going out side.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.