Game #3: we score first!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Chances Goff is let go at the end of this season? Any percentage guesses?
It is past ridiculous! A couple things I noticed over the weekend:

1. The in-laws of one of our coaches (Not Goff) were in the stands and they spent the entire game bad mouthing the kids.

2. I heard at least 5 parents make comments about what a joke Goff is.

3. Goff in his press conference talks about how the team is together, fighting etc. Behind closed doors he is calling them a bunch of GD losers and they should turn in their jersey.

4. He has been turned into compliance by multiple players for exceeding practice times and how they are treated. (Taking away meal $$)

5. I heard him berating Webb today when he came off the field after the 7th. He also showed up one of our kids today while he was batting with his mouth. I thought Friday night maybe he was changing b/c he seemed a lot more lose! Well, that lasted about a day.

6. On a pickoff throw in the 7th in which Henry caught the ball chest high as the runners hand was already on the bag, he didn't apply the tag. The runner was standing up as he caught it and in the dugout Goff and Rooney are cussing "fu...er needs to get the tag down. I get playing hard but, that is a little much.

I saw several players and they are beat down and quite frankly I don't think they care anymore. They just want the season to be over.

There were multiple scouts at the game last night and the concensous was Goff is really hurting the kids draft prospects.

I still am supporting and rooting for the kids! Personally, I think winning more than 5 SEC games is a stretch.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Chances Goff is let go at the end of this season? Any percentage guesses?
I think their is a good chance and here is why... (I'd say 70/30 he leaves. If he somehow stays, I'd say it is 95% his entire staff goes and Byrne hires his new staff.)

1. Players have turned him into the AD and compliance for his actions. (Exceeding practice limits and how they are treated) He accused players of being a snitch and wanted a few to rat out the snitches. He was wrong as to the snitches and not sure those he wanted to "rat out" were not the snitches.

2. He has been admonished by the compliance department for how he plans to fit the 20 kids he is signing into the 11.7 since he only loses 1.25 scholarships from seniors.

3. He was a Battle Hire. Byrne had nothing to do with him AND is a HUGE baseball guy. Talking to an AZ booster last week he said Byrne does not tolerate any type of NCAA issues. AND expects a top notch
baseball program. As he put it, he'd try to fire Nick Saban if he farted in public and thought the NCAA would smell it. (He said try b/c Byrne knows that is a really bad idea...)

4. Parents are against him. I heard multiple this weekend who were making fun of him and what an idiot he is.

I look at the Texas kids on our team. These kids ALL had opportunities to go to aTm, UT, Texas Tech out of HS. We have talent... Maybe not as much as others but, enough that we should not be 2-13 in the SEC.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Man the clown show is getting worse. If Greg Goof is really doing this, then I hope we fire him for cause and move on. We have to quit beating around the bush and hire a name this time.
Agree and at Arizona Byrne was known to get his way when it came to budget and hiring/keeping coaches. When Byrne makes the call I expect to see us to hire a top notch coach and break the bank to do so. I also expect Byrne is going to do all he can to level the playing field and get the PTB waive the out of state tuition which will open up recruiting.... I also think Byrne will do all he can to get butts in the seats. A big issue is many of the prime seats are bought by Tide Pride folks just boosting their point total. They could give a rats butt about football and never go. I know several like that. Not sure how much he is willing to fight but, one solution is tickets are scanned upon exiting the stadium for TP points. This past weekend we were able to buy a cheap $10 ticket and move to the first row behind homeplate without any issue. (Just have to wait to the top of the 4th. At that point the ushers quit checking and tell folks they can move.)

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Agree and at Arizona Byrne was known to get his way when it came to budget and hiring/keeping coaches. When Byrne makes the call I expect to see us to hire a top notch coach and break the bank to do so. I also expect Byrne is going to do all he can to level the playing field and get the PTB waive the out of state tuition which will open up recruiting.... I also think Byrne will do all he can to get butts in the seats. A big issue is many of the prime seats are bought by Tide Pride folks just boosting their point total. They could give a rats butt about football and never go. I know several like that. Not sure how much he is willing to fight but, one solution is tickets are scanned upon exiting the stadium for TP points. This past weekend we were able to buy a cheap $10 ticket and move to the first row behind homeplate without any issue. (Just have to wait to the top of the 4th. At that point the ushers quit checking and tell folks they can move.)
Scanning tickets on exit could be a hassle, but I think a plan requiring a certain amount of tickets be used before the points are earned is a great way to do it.

We need a system which encourages people to buy the tickets for TP points, and also encourages them to USE the tickets for those points (or for more TP points) In the past, I've advocated something like the following (numbers made up cause I don't know that actual number of TP points received.)

Assumption that you receive 10 points per season ticket plan purchased currently:
1. Drop the TP points to half of the previous value (in this assumption - 5)
2. Earn additional points for percentage of tickets used, something like - using 50% gets you 1 point, 60% gets you 2 points, 70% gets you 4 points, 80% gets you 6 points, 90% gets you 8 points, and using every single ticket nets you 12 points.

So the TPers that actually go to the games can earn almost double the amount of points previously available in this scenario. Again, I'm sure this isn't indicative of the amount of TP points received, but the crux of the matter is we need to incentivize going to the games for these people who only want TP points for football. This could also help solve this problem in basketball as well.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/contract_details_for_new_alaba.html

According to this he signed a five year deal at $450,000 a year. So we'd owe him $1,700.000 if we fire him after this year.

Not that I'm suggesting we hire him, but I was surprised to learn today John Cohen is now the athletic director at Mississippi State and no longer the baseball coach.
Cohen wanted the job when Gaspard Got it. He grew up loving BAMA! He was approached last year and pretty much told Battle to go to hell.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
It is past ridiculous! A couple things I noticed over the weekend:

1. The in-laws of one of our coaches (Not Goff) were in the stands and they spent the entire game bad mouthing the kids.

2. I heard at least 5 parents make comments about what a joke Goff is.

3. Goff in his press conference talks about how the team is together, fighting etc. Behind closed doors he is calling them a bunch of GD losers and they should turn in their jersey.

4. He has been turned into compliance by multiple players for exceeding practice times and how they are treated. (Taking away meal $$)

5. I heard him berating Webb today when he came off the field after the 7th. He also showed up one of our kids today while he was batting with his mouth. I thought Friday night maybe he was changing b/c he seemed a lot more lose! Well, that lasted about a day.

6. On a pickoff throw in the 7th in which Henry caught the ball chest high as the runners hand was already on the bag, he didn't apply the tag. The runner was standing up as he caught it and in the dugout Goff and Rooney are cussing "fu...er needs to get the tag down. I get playing hard but, that is a little much.

I saw several players and they are beat down and quite frankly I don't think they care anymore. They just want the season to be over.

There were multiple scouts at the game last night and the concensous was Goff is really hurting the kids draft prospects.

I still am supporting and rooting for the kids! Personally, I think winning more than 5 SEC games is a stretch.
Sounds EXACTLY like our high school team...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep we could have had Cohen in my mind as well but I think we burnt that bridge. IIRC after last year he moved into the AD spot before this season started. And I think Cohen even came to Bama as a student and transferred I think.

Looks like OM is about to can Bianco. I think he's a good coach too.

As for us we HAVE to hire a name this go around, like basketball done. If we hire another idiot then we are doomed and might as well give up. So we have to go after the "name coaches" who are known all over college baseball. A doofus comes in and it will set us back a good 10 years and definitely screw us. As I read or seen in another thread in here we have more talent than to be 14-22, 2-13. I really don't see us winning another SEC game unless we take 1 from Vandy on a fluke.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I've no idea if a coaching change after one year is feasible, but I seriously doubt it. On the other hand, I know practically nothing about the new AD other than I've read here that he is a baseball fan. He's in a precarious position because he'll be setting the precedent for other sports and coaches either way.

Here is what I do know, the performance on the field combined with the negativity within the community here, has sucked all the fun out of this season - weeks ago.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I've no idea if a coaching change after one year is feasible, but I seriously doubt it. On the other hand, I know practically nothing about the new AD other than I've read here that he is a baseball fan. He's in a precarious position because he'll be setting the precedent for other sports and coaches either way.

Here is what I do know, the performance on the field combined with the negativity within the community here, has sucked all the fun out of this season - weeks ago.
After learning something today, I'd jump the chances of Coach Goff being canned to about 95%. If Byrne doesn't, I think he'd be telling other coaches morals, ethics, compliance and caring about kids don't matter to him. It's ugly and I probably said too much for now.

We ALL need to support the kids, go to a game and cheer for them..... They are the ones who matter.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Byrne can push Goof out the door, and use the "he wasn't my choice" card, and that will fly. Coaches who are worth anything can grasp that concept. If they can't, then how can they manage our scholarship issues?

Hate to see our kids having to endure any more of Goof. Let's hope for their sake his days are numbered. And they can come through this for the better.

They deserve better!

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
After learning something today, I'd jump the chances of Coach Goff being canned to about 95%. If Byrne doesn't, I think he'd be telling other coaches morals, ethics, compliance and caring about kids don't matter to him. It's ugly and I probably said too much for now.

We ALL need to support the kids, go to a game and cheer for them..... They are the ones who matter.
Support for the players should NEVER be in question!

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Support for the players should NEVER be in question!

rtr
AGREE 110%! Unfortunately, when I was there last weekend, I heard the parents of one of the coaches bad mouthing the players. Also, had to listen to two old ladies who had nothing nice to say about the players. Again, with proper coaching this group could be .500 in the SEC and a 2/3 seed in a regional.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
AGREE 110%! Unfortunately, when I was there last weekend, I heard the parents of one of the coaches bad mouthing the players. Also, had to listen to two old ladies who had nothing nice to say about the players. Again, with proper coaching this group could be .500 in the SEC and a 2/3 seed in a regional.
Ha! you have nothing good to say about any catchers besides DeVinny. Ever heard of practice what you preach?

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, I have remained quiet for the most part due to being so far away from Tuscaloosa. I will say this, I was all for Dax being hired. No way feasible it could have been worse....

I remember us bashing the last staff. But UF (who I went and watched play against UT a couple weeks ago), reminds me of what we were, just a little better pitching. They absolutely cannot hit, I mean it is painful to watch them on offense. Got 1 guy in the starting line-up close to .300. The rest are no where close, but yet they win a lot of baseball games. Faedo is the real deal I might add. My 4 year old got his autograph after the game and he was cool about it too! Had like 8 or 9 k's that game. I love college baseball, so much more family friendly!

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
I say GOOFY has to go. Just pay him what they owe him. The University could probably settle for half what they owe him because of all the crap coming down the pipe. He could live a long time on what Bama owes him. He would probably have too as I wouldn't see him ever getting another job above D2. D2 dosent fly anywhere. He has blown this opportunity to be a Head Coach in the best conference in College Baseball. When you start telling the kids to turn in jerseys, taking away meal money etc. He has NO idea what it is to be a college coach. I sincerely hope AD Byrne makes a hard decision (because it wasn't his hire) and pulls the plug on this clown. Bama needs to get back to where they are competing every game whether they are on baseball money, academic money or even Mom & Dad money. With that non conference schedule he put together, this team should have been at least 17 -3 or 16 - 4 before they even left Tuscaloosa. With that stadium, there should be no problem getting people in the stands, but the Baseball is SOOOOOO bad I don't even feel like the little kids want to go and play in the swings. So C'mon AD Byrne, pull the plug on Goof and bring in the guy YOU want to get this going back in the right direction

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Ha! you have nothing good to say about any catchers besides DeVinny. Ever heard of practice what you preach?
I support all of the players and want them to do their best. I think I've called out all of the catchers for their defensive play. Last weekend I cheered loudly for Webb, Poe and DeVinny.

When Avant made his 3rd or 4th error last Thursday, while playing with a 102 degree fever, I along with those sitting around me were shaking our heads b/c we know he is WAY better than that. We also were yelling out at him, shake it off, let's make the next play.

IMO there is a difference is saying "man need to make that play" and "player X sucks, he is a loser" as I heard last weekend. Before someone looks it up, I'm far from perfect so, I'm sure in the heat of a game thread I've possibly typed something not so nice. I know players read these threads so I am sorry.

ROLL TIDE!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

If some of what has been said about him is true, I'm sure he could probably be fired for cause and we probably wouldn't owe him much of anything. If some of it is true he doesn't deserve another year of being a head coach nor to make head coach money.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Avant should not have been playing with that high of a fever.
I support all of the players and want them to do their best. I think I've called out all of the catchers for their defensive play. Last weekend I cheered loudly for Webb, Poe and DeVinny.

When Avant made his 3rd or 4th error last Thursday, while playing with a 102 degree fever, I along with those sitting around me were shaking our heads b/c we know he is WAY better than that. We also were yelling out at him, shake it off, let's make the next play.

IMO there is a difference is saying "man need to make that play" and "player X sucks, he is a loser" as I heard last weekend. Before someone looks it up, I'm far from perfect so, I'm sure in the heat of a game thread I've possibly typed something not so nice. I know players read these threads so I am sorry.

ROLL TIDE!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.