Auto lovers - what's your ride? (post pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Re: Car lovers - what's your ride? (post pics)

My daily driver is my work truck...2002 Silverado 1500 extended cab, 2 WD, full size (8') bed, and 4.8 Vortec. She now has approx. 205K miles on her and still running strong. I love my truck!
Same here! My daily driver is the exact same model, except with a 5.3. I bought it brand new during the days of 0% financing. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. It currently has 337,428 on the odometer, and besides maintenance stuff, and normal things that are expected to have to be changed in time (water pump, radiator, battery, etc) it is still rolling along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

My daily driver is my work truck...2002 Silverado 1500 extended cab, 2 WD, full size (8') bed, and 4.8 Vortec. She now has approx. 205K miles on her and still running strong. I love my truck!

This one is my pride and joy though...1964 Porsche 356C sunroof coupe. Very small engine (1.6L) but the way these things were engineered...it is super fun to drive and has a respectable amount of pep, all things considered. Paint job is not perfect...car is not perfect. But it's perfect for me and my girls!

My father drove a silver '64 Porsche SC. It didn't have a moon roof. I drove it to high school every day. IIRC, he paid $2500 for it in 1965. Very cool car.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

15 years old.
Purchase price cheaper than you probably think.
Maintenance costs just as much as you probably think.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Boxsters and 996 version-911's are probably the best bang for your buck right now - as far as Porsche ownership goes.

I like the old air-cooled ones though (with the non-functioning AC!)...

Still waiting to see CA's
F355....:p

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Boxsters and 996 version-911's are probably the best bang for your buck right now - as far as Porsche ownership goes.

Change out the wheels for a pair of early 2000's Carrera 5 spokes and this is identical to mine (which is too dirty to Photo at the moment)

and I like the old Air/Oil cooled ones too but my AC works awesome

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

best bang for the buck in a 996 Turbo and has been for some time. The purists hate them because of the fried egg headlights and that they look "too much like a Boxster" (no offense to CB, I had a Boxster S too) and the general public thinks they are mechanically unsound as the 996's have that rep. Truth is they couldn't turbo the 996 motor without it blowing up so these have a 993 motor with a water cooled head that is near bullet proof. For a car that cost $110K new they can be had in the 30's in good shape.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Seeing that old shot of the Mazda made me remember that it was taken out in Vail, where we took it on its maiden voyage, straight from the dealership. The ride was so rough that, although we didn't discuss it, both of us were thinking that surely we could get used to it. While I was out there, I was surfing and came across the fact that, when they were transporting them across the Pacific, they cranked the tire pressure up to 98 psi, to avoid crimping, particularly with the 17" wheels it came with. (Since changed out for 15".) I went out and checked and, sure enough, all the way from north Alabama to the front range with 95 psi. It rode less like a stagecoach at 33 psi...

dblack

Scout Team
Dec 23, 2009

I've been a car guy since I was old enough to talk. Current vehicle is a 2014 Rubicon with a few mods.

A few rides back, it was a Nissan 350Z. Still miss this car.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolBreeze

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Still waiting to see CA's [/COLOR]F355....:p
Even better, I have an F(J)40 1972 Land Cruiser:

I'm a Land Cruiser geek - I believe they're the most capable 4wd vehicles on the planet, so I've kinda started collecting them and their kin...

My other toy is a UZJ100 2003 Land Cruiser:

My wife's daily driver is a 2015 Lexus GX460 (which is a Land Cruiser Prado overseas, it's the only way to buy this particular Land Cruiser platform in the US). I will eventually inherit this and build it for off-road use as well:

I also picked up this 2006 4Runner in the last year as a potential build - it's built on the Land Cruiser 120 series Prado chassis - though it's not quite as capable as the Land Cruiser, it has the same frame and power plant, so it should be a good one for a long time:

You're probably noticing a pattern here...

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolBreeze

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

We just added a 2013 GX for the wife in December. Really loving it. Hers is black

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Seeing that old shot of the Mazda made me remember that it was taken out in Vail, where we took it on its maiden voyage, straight from the dealership. The ride was so rough that, although we didn't discuss it, both of us were thinking that surely we could get used to it. While I was out there, I was surfing and came across the fact that, when they were transporting them across the Pacific, they cranked the tire pressure up to 98 psi, to avoid crimping, particularly with the 17" wheels it came with. (Since changed out for 15".) I went out and checked and, sure enough, all the way from north Alabama to the front range with 95 psi. It rode less like a stagecoach at 33 psi...

I can remember the first time we had to chain our buckets up in Arkansas on an ice storm. We couldn't do but about 30mph and you was bouncing so hard I think a wagon was actually more comfortable.:biggrin: I still hate them to this day

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

I'll try to get a pic and post, but after 25 years of "having" to drive a commuter, I ran across a little 2000 mustang gt that I'm loving driving right now. All factory and not a blemish on the interior.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I'll try to get a pic and post, but after 25 years of "having" to drive a commuter, I ran across a little 2000 mustang gt that I'm loving driving right now. All factory and not a blemish on the interior.

I'm still hoping one of these days I can afford a Buick Grand National GNX but not getting my hopes up. I wouldn't mind a 90's model LX Mustang 5.0 either.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I can remember the first time we had to chain our buckets up in Arkansas on an ice storm. We couldn't do but about 30mph and you was bouncing so hard I think a wagon was actually more comfortable.:biggrin: I still hate them to this day
Actually, they recommend no more than about 30mph on chains, anyway. And, yes, they will beat you to death and they're not too easy on the tires, either...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

This is one of my vehicles (this was the pic in the craigslist listing back in 2012 when I bought it. Sadly, it's never this clean, but it's a Jeep, so who cares. Haha). I'm a Jeep girl at heart. I bought a Subaru Outback last year, but I try to drive both equally.

My dad had a Mach 1 mustang that I drove some while in college. I loved that thing, but he sold it.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

If I had the money, I'd love to have a Dodge Challenger, preferably the Hellcat version. When I win the lottery, I'll buy one and post a pic on here. :cool2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

This is one of my vehicles (this was the pic in the craigslist listing back in 2012 when I bought it. Sadly, it's never this clean, but it's a Jeep, so who cares. Haha). I'm a Jeep girl at heart. I bought a Subaru Outback last year, but I try to drive both equally.

My dad had a Mach 1 mustang that I drove some while in college. I loved that thing, but he sold it.

Great looking Jeep there, Jessica!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

This was what I had up until last year when someone blind sided me and mangled the entire right side. :mad:

It was the first thing I had ever built from the ground up, so it still has a big chunk of my heart. I got a fraction of what I had put into it because the other dude's insurance refused to pay for any of my extra add-ons. (I'd have understood if it were my insurance company, since I'm only insured for the Jeep itself, but the other guy's should have paid for everything on the Jeep, but that's another story.)

Then I bought this 93 Land Cruiser on eBay from California.

and have since turned it into this:

Like CA, I have been bit by the Land Cruiser bug. I can't decide if I should keep building this one or buy an additional FJ60. I keep going back and forth but right now I think the 60 is calling my name. :tongue:

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

This one is my pride and joy though...1964 Porsche 356C sunroof coupe. Very small engine (1.6L) but the way these things were engineered...it is super fun to drive and has a respectable amount of pep, all things considered. Paint job is not perfect...car is not perfect. But it's perfect for me and my girls!

Bazza, you are instantly cooler. This is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.