Cleveland Man Broadcasts Murder on FB Live

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sick individual. My heart goes out to the affected families.

Listening to NPR this morning, and some guest speaker was referencing this incident. He said there was some debate as to whether what this guy did was free speech or not. My ears perked up....then the speaker said he didn't feel qualified to comment on whether killing someone live on video was free speech. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!

TNN (The New Normal)

:rolleyes:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Listening to NPR this morning, and some guest speaker was referencing this incident. He said there was some debate as to whether what this guy did was free speech or not. My ears perked up....then the speaker said he didn't feel qualified to comment on whether killing someone live on video was free speech. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!
Tell these idiots to stand in front of a loaded gun and then explain how the right of "free speech" of the person who is pulling the trigger is more than their right to take another breath.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well, I listened and didn't get that take at all. He was saying that, even if Facebook and Twitter took the video down, at varying times, the video would live on forever on sites that specialize in such gruesome things. He then questioned whether such reproduced material should have 1st amendment protection. (It doesn't in most other countries, although the international internet makes policing difficult in free societies.) He then went on to say that that question was up to higher powers, i.e. the SCOTUS. He's running for Congress from VA. He's a former TV anchorman whose reporter and cameraman were executed on camera. FWIW, I agree that rebroadcast shouldn't be protected speech, not that there's anything which can be done to enforce it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tell these idiots to stand in front of a loaded gun and then explain how the right of "free speech" of the person who is pulling the trigger is more than their right to take another breath.
This is a misreading of what he actually said. I'll see if I can find it and link it...

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I respect your posts tremendously, so this is not intended to be argumentative. Perhaps my point wasn't clear? Or, maybe we just heard this differently.

Well, I listened and didn't get that take at all. He was saying that, even if Facebook and Twitter took the video down, at varying times, the video would live on forever on sites that specialize in such gruesome things. He then questioned whether such reproduced material should have 1st amendment protection.
When the speaker said, "Is you recording you killing somebody else, is that considered free speech? I don't necessarily know the answer to that."

My point was how can there even be a question about that? I commend the speaker for being open minded, especially since it sounds like he had someone close to him die on video, but for me, the question of free speech doesn't apply in situations like this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I respect your posts tremendously, so this is not intended to be argumentative. Perhaps my point wasn't clear? Or, maybe we just heard this differently.

When the speaker said, "Is you recording you killing somebody else, is that considered free speech? I don't necessarily know the answer to that."

My point was how can there even be a question about that? I commend the speaker for being open minded, especially since it sounds like he had someone close to him die on video, but for me, the question of free speech doesn't apply in situations like this.
Interesting. Did you still get that after listening again? What I got was that he didn't approve at all of the present law of the land which is that is free speech now. He then said that it was up to someone higher than he, which would have to be the SCOTUS...

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Amazing how that transformed the situation. Like everyone else, I was sickened by this story. Now, well, it's still pretty sick, but those folks just turned it right around and gave it a whole other meaning.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I hope this doesn't create more situations like this in the future considering how much media coverage there's been. Have a bad feeling other people may start doing this to get their 15 minutes of fame..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's amazing that his mom is still alive and well in Plantersville in Dallas County. No telling how long Godwin might have lived...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.