JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A Brief Look at What’s Up For Grabs as A-Day Nears
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 17th, 2017 12:31 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 17, 2017 With A-Day less than a week away, here’s a recap of the position battles we’re following heading into the spring’s final work: QUARTERBACK Nothing much new here: Jalen Hurts is Alabama’s starter. The battle is to see who backs him up – is the holder’s job part […]

Read More Here

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Did I miss Jacobs being mentioned among the running backs? He had flashes of brillance last year....looking for more this year!

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Thanks for your analysis again, Jess.

Wondering if the D backs are having trouble covering because the vertical passing game has kicked up a notch and the qbs are making better throws. if so, it would seem to be a better scenario than the D backs just not competent with their pass coverage.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
He's still on the team. Been practicing as the #1 guy if Bo and D Harris aren't practicing.

Thanks. Last I read he was back from a thigh bruise and playing/practicing. I'm just shocked his name isn't even listed and it had me worried. I'm a huge fan of Jacobs.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm going to add him into the story but his name was an omission (unintended) from the injured group. As of last week, the decision to play him at A-Day hadn't been made yet.

What I think will happen is you'll see a couple of the blackshirt RBs get carries (that go for nowhere, because they're down by two-hand touch if they have a black jersey on) but most of the day, it will be N.Harris/Robinson and then guys like Avery Reid.

I think Jacobs will be just fine in the fall, though, and it's going to be difficult to manage snaps for all this RB talent. I don't see a redshirt in the bunch, although Robinson should probably get one just because of the depth.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm going to add him into the story but his name was an omission (unintended) from the injured group. As of last week, the decision to play him at A-Day hadn't been made yet.

What I think will happen is you'll see a couple of the blackshirt RBs get carries (that go for nowhere, because they're down by two-hand touch if they have a black jersey on) but most of the day, it will be N.Harris/Robinson and then guys like Avery Reid.

I think Jacobs will be just fine in the fall, though, and it's going to be difficult to manage snaps for all this RB talent. I don't see a redshirt in the bunch, although Robinson should probably get one just because of the depth.
It`s like QB. If we could space these guys out some ( red shirt, I suppose ) it would be great IMO. You`re correct, especially if they`re picking up the protection schemes, that there may not be a one that needs a red shirt. What a dilemma !

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
On the macro level, I'm going to be interested to see if the offense is really ahead of the defense. That's the word coming from those who have been there most of the month. And it makes me a little uncomfortable, because our best teams by far have been the ones where the defense held point during any kind of intrasquad work.

Separate from that, what's going on on the right side of the offensive line is huge. That may be the difference-maker for the season. DBs have to play better than they've shown so far. I'm not going to get many warm fuzzies until the latter works itself out, for sure.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Hard for me to believe that a secondary of Averett/Diggs/Fitz/Harrison is really that bad, but I'm floored that RG/RT aren't any better at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
On the macro level, I'm going to be interested to see if the offense is really ahead of the defense. That's the word coming from those who have been there most of the month. And it makes me a little uncomfortable, because our best teams by far have been the ones where the defense held point during any kind of intrasquad work.
Going off what Hootie said last week, I thought the defense just didn't expect what the offense gave them. In the second scrimmage, one expects that to be different. Especially when we consider they go against each other in practice. Not like they had no idea what the offense has been practicing for the last month.

Separate from that, what's going on on the right side of the offensive line is huge. That may be the difference-maker for the season. DBs have to play better than they've shown so far. I'm not going to get many warm fuzzies until the latter works itself out, for sure.
Still can't tell what the deal with the right side of the OL is. Waiting for Leatherwood to step up and take the starting RT spot?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.