Braxton Key WITHDRAWS from NBA Draft and Will RETURN to UA

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
UA just announced it.

He's not hiring an agent, so he can return if he wants.

Link

Braxton Key, a Freshman All-SEC Team forward for the University of Alabama basketball team, will enter the 2017 NBA Draft but will not hire an agent.

The move will allow Key to receive evaluations from NBA teams yet return to Alabama after the NBA draft combine in May, if he so chooses.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Braxton Key to Explore NBA Draft Options but WON'T Hire an Agent

I think Braxton is a NBA player but think he still needs a little more seasoning. I think the eval will show this.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I wouldn't expect Braxton to leave, but if he does, Bama is in a very difficult spot filling the vacancy he leaves. Already down to 11 scholarship players with Austin and Ar'Mond leaving. Can't really afford to only have 10 guys on the roster next season.

Just have to hope Braxton uses the combine as an evaluation time to hear the NBA guys out on what needs improvement.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

All the bourbon.
I usually don't drink but the Basketball off-season news is tempting me. Davis leaves now this? No offense but Key is not remotely NBA ready. He's a good/solid college player right now with potential to be really good and maybe great if he stays and improves.

The NBA just continues to hurt the NCAA. It's been talked about to death, but I still hate how kids can just bolt. If they accept a scholarship they should play for 3-4 years like football. JMO. I don't even get it from a love of the game standpoint. I'd personally rather enjoy the experience of being a starter and leader on a collegiate team vs. being stuck on the bench in the pro's with money in the bank. Playing is way...waaaaaaay more fun than observing to me.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Yea more than likely he just wants to see what his evaluation says and as said he can come back as he is not signing with an agent. I don't see him being a 1st round pick so he should be coming back.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Cecil tweeted that Braxton is not expected to be at the basketball team banquet tonight (makes sense given the hour difference in the time on his phone and when he tweeted the above note) but the media expects to hear from Avery (not uncommon).

I don't really get the best feeling from the note in the first place, but him not being at the team banquet really doesn't make me feel good.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. But, unless he's really desperate for cash I don't see him going, doesn't seem like he'll get a high draft grade. It's not really a bad move, as of yet. If he leaves now it does seem like it will be a bad move for him.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Not a fan of the way Alabama beat writers are covering this - seems final but we'll see.

Travis Reier of BamaOnline commented that this is a good growth point for the program - big time basketball has to deal with this all the time.

RKel32

All-SEC
Nov 17, 2004
Madison, AL

At some point, kids will realize the math on leaving early rarely works out. Every year, there are more underclassmen who declare for the draft than there are picks in the draft. That's without factoring in college seniors and international players. If he stays in, Key will go undrafted and his best case scenario is as a journeyman in Europe. Come back, and you'll have a bigger stage to perform on next year with a better cast and have the chance to improve your draft stock. I only hope this is him getting an eval to help focus his workouts, but him not attending the banquet tonight doesn't bode well. I hope he's not making a poor decision that we've seen play out numerous times before.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

My first thought in this type situation is academics, as in, could there be an issue that would keep him from being eligible for next season. I've no way of knowing but it does cross my mind. On the other hand, I can't see him getting drafted based upon performance as there were way too many games where he was a total nonfactor. Having said that, it would be nice to have him back for another season or two.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

My first thought in this type situation is academics, as in, could there be an issue that would keep him from being eligible for next season. I've no way of knowing but it does cross my mind. On the other hand, I can't see him getting drafted based upon performance as there were way too many games where he was a total nonfactor. Having said that, it would be nice to have him back for another season or two.
Crossed my mind as well. Also, hoping that if his academics are in order that he does not let them get out of whack with the NBA distraction so he won't have problems if he wants to stay.

Was not expecting this. I don't see him getting drafted this year either but I don't have a feel for how the NBA evaluations work and what the pros look for in addition to performance in college or other league games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So Dazon says Ar'Mond is considering returning, and Ar'Mond's transfer tweet has been deleted? Like the chances he returns then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

I just don't see anything about him this year that says draftable. Has potential to be a first round pick but needs at least another year probably two. But hey what do I know.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I could see a team taking him in the second round and sticking him in the D-League to see if he develops.

Losing him would be a recruiting tool. We could tell players to come here and you could get drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

From what I see, I think Key will be back. I like the fact we have Key and Davis definitely give the team a legit chance... This alter the line up a little but we have ability to go small, go fast and I just hope they spend whole summer working on free throws LOL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.