To: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes

Probably the most unanswered phone call in collegiate athletics currently is that from the AD office of the University of Alabama. Despite all of their fans signs to the contrary, NO ONE "WANTS" Bama. The neutral site organizers recently have been able to talk some of the better programs into a one game match up with Bama, but obviously(with the Duke scheduling) even they are getting a lot of LOLs presently when they offer up Bama as an opponent.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

You should take this up with Coach Saban. These games are mostly his doing I believe. They are about recruiting and profitability.
It really chaps me to see programs like georgia and tcu schedule home and homes with Notre dame and Ohio State, while Coach Saban has Bama opening in a neutral site EVERY STINKING YEAR!

I long to see the white unis with crimson helmets. numerals and crimson piping stream onto the field in a place like Ann Arbor, Columbus, South Bend, etc. Sod this neutral site crap every year, and the likes of Duke and Louisville should only be seen on the basketball schedule.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

That would simply be impossible in this day and time. No way those 3 agree to play Bama in the same year.
I want Alabama to play Texas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame in the same season.

bamacpa70

1st Team
Nov 17, 2003
Roanoke, VA

Guess we wouldn't be Bama fans if we weren't complaining about something, and I guess this is the best we can come up with.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

What is the problem with OOC home and homes?

They are not as profitable to the school from an economic standpoint as the neutral site games, they don't help with recruiting exposureas much in the hotbeds like ATL, Texas, and Florida neutral site venues, and they are very hard to schedule with top opponents anyway. Btw that explanation is right out of Nick's own mouth.

As a college football traditionalist myself, I agree that H/H's are nice for the fans, but I also see the logic in curtailing them for reasons given in today's college football landscape.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

No one wants to play Bama home and home- that is the problem.
Exactly, and especially the "home" one that's really away. You are going to get $0 for going and your football team is probably going to get their butt kicked. What AD in their right mind wants that?

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017

I would like a home and home with Navy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I would like a home and home with Navy

Navy and ND play home and home. Have for 90 years. BUT Navy has never played ND AT home! All of their home games with ND have been off-site home games. Most recently at Jacksonville, FL; Landover, MD; Dublin, Ireland; East Rutherford, NJ; and Baltimore, MD.

In 2012 the media was giving ND all of the accolades for scheduling Navy at Dublin, Ireland. ND had absolutely NOTHING to do with where that game was played. Navy could have scheduled the game on an aircraft carrier in the middle of an ocean if they had so desired. They might so desire if they had a home and home with Bama.

Navy vs Notre Dame 1927-2016

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Who has the capacity to make it worth our while? Per the 2015 Sporting News, here's your stadiums:

1) Michigan
2) Penn St
3) Ohio St
4) Tennessee
5) LSU
6) Alabama
7) Texas
8) USC
9) Georgia
10) UCLA
11) Florida
12) Auburn
13) Clemson
14) ATM
15) FSU
16) Oklahoma
17) Notre Dame
18) Wisconsin
19) South Carolina
20) Miami
21) Michigan St
22) Washington
23) Arkansas
24) Arizona St

So let's eliminate those we already play at most years or on rotational basis (and BDS, of course)

1) Michigan
2) Penn St
3) Ohio St
7) Texas
8) USC
10) UCLA
13) Clemson
15) FSU
16) Oklahoma
17) Notre Dame
18) Wisconsin
20) Miami
21) Michigan St
22) Washington
24) Arizona St

Now we ask - what's in it for us? At this point, you can eliminate the West Coast. That takes out four more (the Pac 12 teams). We're now down to basically 11 opponents with stadiums big enough to hold us and them and make it worthwhile.

In recent years, we've axe murdered Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Michigan St (of the 11 left) in neutral site games.

Do you REALLY think these teams want TWO consecutive years of facing us right now?

That leaves us with FIVE opponents we could schedule games with: Miami, OU, FSU, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Three of those five have beaten us in the last five years...two by the skin of their teeth and another in a game that meant nothing to us and everything to them.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do. I grew up with the annual Penn St-Alabama gentleman's rivalry. I remember it being a big deal when we beat Notre Dame in 1986 - it was a big deal when we played ATM in both 1985 and 1988. But too much has changed since then.

In 1986, Alabama played SIX SEC games in a ten-team conference. We also played Ohio State in the Kickoff Classic, Notre Dame, Penn State (who won the title that year), and Temple (who had a Heisman candidate in Paul Palmer). It was a murderous slate and probably had a lot to do with what I thought was a legit Tide team winding up in the Sun Bowl when one score against LSU puts us back in New Orleans for the first time post-Bryant.

In 2002, an extra game was added. So now you play thirteen PLUS the conference title game PLUS two rounds of playoffs if you're lucky.

You have to play the eight SEC games...then you have to remember that the other conferences play NINE conference title games. That means THEY have one less open date than do we. How many wish to add Alabama for real? Keep in mind we've had some legit openers since Saban arrived. We have replaced the likes of the Mike Shula schedule (to be fair, Franchione dumped some games because of the sanctions) openers with Clemson, Va Tech (twice), Michigan, WVA, Wisconsin, USC, and FSU. We've had two 'cush' openers - in 2010 and 2011 - and we did have Penn State in the second game both of those years. (I would add that it was probably the best of all worlds for Saban to face his alma mater in the first game after the tornadoes).

In 2015, Alabama played a schedule that posted a winning percentage of .693. The so-called greatest team of all-time, Nebraska 1995, faced a schedule that had a winning pct of .547. To face a schedule as challenging as that Alabama team did, Nebraska would have to face opponents with a combined record of 65-0 just to make it even.

That 2015 team played Wisky at a neutral site here in Dallas.

What would have been gained by going to Camp Randall to play it - and then have to face them the next year?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Who has the capacity to make it worth our while? Per the 2015 Sporting News, here's your stadiums:

1) Michigan
2) Penn St
3) Ohio St
4) Tennessee
5) LSU
6) Alabama
7) Texas
8) USC
9) Georgia
10) UCLA
11) Florida
12) Auburn
13) Clemson
14) ATM
15) FSU
16) Oklahoma
17) Notre Dame
18) Wisconsin
19) South Carolina
20) Miami
21) Michigan St
22) Washington
23) Arkansas
24) Arizona St

So let's eliminate those we already play at most years or on rotational basis (and BDS, of course)

1) Michigan
2) Penn St
3) Ohio St
7) Texas
8) USC
10) UCLA
13) Clemson
15) FSU
16) Oklahoma
17) Notre Dame
18) Wisconsin
20) Miami
21) Michigan St
22) Washington
24) Arizona St

Now we ask - what's in it for us? At this point, you can eliminate the West Coast. That takes out four more (the Pac 12 teams). We're now down to basically 11 opponents with stadiums big enough to hold us and them and make it worthwhile.

In recent years, we've axe murdered Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and Michigan St (of the 11 left) in neutral site games.

Do you REALLY think these teams want TWO consecutive years of facing us right now?

That leaves us with FIVE opponents we could schedule games with: Miami, OU, FSU, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Three of those five have beaten us in the last five years...two by the skin of their teeth and another in a game that meant nothing to us and everything to them.

I get what you're saying, I honestly do. I grew up with the annual Penn St-Alabama gentleman's rivalry. I remember it being a big deal when we beat Notre Dame in 1986 - it was a big deal when we played ATM in both 1985 and 1988. But too much has changed since then.

In 1986, Alabama played SIX SEC games in a ten-team conference. We also played Ohio State in the Kickoff Classic, Notre Dame, Penn State (who won the title that year), and Temple (who had a Heisman candidate in Paul Palmer). It was a murderous slate and probably had a lot to do with what I thought was a legit Tide team winding up in the Sun Bowl when one score against LSU puts us back in New Orleans for the first time post-Bryant.

In 2002, an extra game was added. So now you play thirteen PLUS the conference title game PLUS two rounds of playoffs if you're lucky.

You have to play the eight SEC games...then you have to remember that the other conferences play NINE conference title games. That means THEY have one less open date than do we. How many wish to add Alabama for real? Keep in mind we've had some legit openers since Saban arrived. We have replaced the likes of the Mike Shula schedule (to be fair, Franchione dumped some games because of the sanctions) openers with Clemson, Va Tech (twice), Michigan, WVA, Wisconsin, USC, and FSU. We've had two 'cush' openers - in 2010 and 2011 - and we did have Penn State in the second game both of those years. (I would add that it was probably the best of all worlds for Saban to face his alma mater in the first game after the tornadoes).

In 2015, Alabama played a schedule that posted a winning percentage of .693. The so-called greatest team of all-time, Nebraska 1995, faced a schedule that had a winning pct of .547. To face a schedule as challenging as that Alabama team did, Nebraska would have to face opponents with a combined record of 65-0 just to make it even.

That 2015 team played Wisky at a neutral site here in Dallas.

What would have been gained by going to Camp Randall to play it - and then have to face them the next year?
TN isn't even really in the top ten. To reach their advertised 107K, they count security, concession workers, custodians. Hell, I think they even count the teams, trainers and coaching staffs. AND - their seats are one buttcheek wide...

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I would love to see another home and home series similar to Penn State in 10 and 11, but I don't think it's gonna happen. We make more money off of neutral site games. I've heard CNS use the recruiting argument before, but I'm not really sure that holds anymore. I can see how it probably helped in the early years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I would love to see another home and home series similar to Penn State in 10 and 11, but I don't think it's gonna happen. We make more money off of neutral site games. I've heard CNS use the recruiting argument before, but I'm not really sure that holds anymore. I can see how it probably helped in the early years.
It helps now if Alabama is the home team because the SEC allows the home team in a neutral site game host recruits. Therefore, we play in Arlington and are able to host recruits that might not be able to afford a trip to Tuscaloosa during the season.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Not sure what is meant by playing thirteen games in 2002 - we added the Hawaii game on our own for the players. We were ineligible for the SEC championship game.

It's still twelve regular reason games plus a conference championship plus two potential playoff games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not sure what is meant by playing thirteen games in 2002 - we added the Hawaii game on our own for the players. We were ineligible for the SEC championship game.

It's still twelve regular reason games plus a conference championship plus two potential playoff games.

I wasn't talking about Hawaii. I was talking about what ENABLED Hawaii.

The NCAA Division I Management Council has backed legislation that would allow Division I-A and I-AA schools to add a 12th football game starting with the 2006 season.

Currently, Division I football teams play 11 regular season games except in years when there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November. The 2002 and 2003 seasons qualified for the extra game, but without the new legislation, the next would not be until 2008.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20020527/alabama-may-schedule-season-ender-in-hawaii/1

Alabama is operating under NCAA sanctions that would prohibit participation in a bowl game, but adding a regular-season game at Hawaii would not be prohibited. Those sanctions are under appeal.

My point was there were schedule limitations prior to then. There are limitations NOW - like other conferences playing more in conference games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wasn't talking about Hawaii. I was talking about what ENABLED Hawaii.

The NCAA Division I Management Council has backed legislation that would allow Division I-A and I-AA schools to add a 12th football game starting with the 2006 season.

Currently, Division I football teams play 11 regular season games except in years when there are 14 Saturdays from the first permissible playing date through the last playing date in November. The 2002 and 2003 seasons qualified for the extra game, but without the new legislation, the next would not be until 2008.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20020527/alabama-may-schedule-season-ender-in-hawaii/1

Alabama is operating under NCAA sanctions that would prohibit participation in a bowl game, but adding a regular-season game at Hawaii would not be prohibited. Those sanctions are under appeal.

My point was there were schedule limitations prior to then. There are limitations NOW - like other conferences playing more in conference games.
Your comment doesn't come across as that, though. Plus, you're using a very special case.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Fans want to win championships. You cannot win championships without championship level recruiting. These games really help in that recruiting. So choose - better home games or championships.
I agree. Are there any statistics that show that playing in Dallas (Michigan/USC) or in Atlanta (several teams) helped with recruiting Texas and Georgia? Personally, I think it did. I'm sure it helped in Alabama's athletic wallet also.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Personally, I would love a Home & Home slate against a top team like the OU vs Ohio State slate. I completely understand the logistics issues and the benefits of a neutral site game but it would be incredibly fun to have a game at BDS against a team like Ohio State. I also imagine it would be fun for players to go to some of these other big time stadiums like the Big House.

Again, I get why its unlikely but boy would it be fun for both fans and players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.