To: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Very good post BTW. I probably should have said somewhat less enjoyable. I attend at least one game at BDS every season, the remainder I watch on TV. Chalk it up to old age, but the game day experience, IMO, has more of a carnival like atmosphere and less like a football Saturday afternoon, but that's me.

Part of it is because the expansion of BDS allows more fans and more people show up - and I like crowds less than in my younger days, too.

I didn't go to the Michigan State game here in Dallas on NYE because I didn't want to fight the traffic leaving. (I could have sat nosebleed for about $80 or so - buying a ticket three hours before kickoff online). I was like, "If Arlington had the DART, I'd go."

So I get that part.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Re: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes

I was five years old so I have no recollection of it, but I've heard many Tide fans who were of age then say that might well have been the worst win in Bryant's tenure at Alabama if not the entire history of the school.

For those who don't know, I looked it up:

Alabama was #3 in the country (remember - we were UPI champs in 1973). FSU took the opening kickoff and went 78 yards in nine plays for a TD. That was the halftime score. At the end of the third quarter, we kicked a field goal to make it 7-3 FSU.

With 87 seconds left in the game, FSU was perched to punt from their own end zone. Their coach took an intentional safety to make it 7-5 FSU. We drove and hit a 36-yard field goal with 33 seconds left to win, 8-7.

Florida State was 1-10 that year.

It was the classic 'trap game.' We beat Ole Miss (who was entering the dark ages of the post-Johnny Vaught era) by two TDs and then played the Vols the next weekend. Of course, the Vols cannot beat Alabama without the extra week and in 1974 they played.....5-5-1 LSU the week before and lost.
As I recall, Todd and Fraley were hurt so Jack O'rear played QB. I remember the last drive before the winning field goal was a thing of pure will power.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.