To: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
It really chaps me to see programs like georgia and tcu schedule home and homes with Notre dame and Ohio State, while Coach Saban has Bama opening in a neutral site EVERY STINKING YEAR!

I long to see the white unis with crimson helmets. numerals and crimson piping stream onto the field in a place like Ann Arbor, Columbus, South Bend, etc. Sod this neutral site crap every year, and the likes of Duke and Louisville should only be seen on the basketball schedule.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
Re: AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes

It really chaps me to see programs like georgia and tcu schedule home and homes with Notre dame and Ohio State, while Coach Saban has Bama opening in a neutral site EVERY STINKING YEAR!

I long to see the white unis with crimson helmets. numerals and crimson piping stream onto the field in a place like Ann Arbor, Columbus, South Bend, etc. Sod this neutral site crap every year, and the likes of Duke and Louisville should only be seen on the basketball schedule.

I imagine it's difficult for us to schedule home and homes with traditional powers. Notre Dame and others don't want to have to face us two years in a row with the recruiting classes rolling in like they have been for the past 10 years. It's much easier to get one year deals at a neutral site. Plus, I think CNS likes the recruiting exposure the games provide in recruiting hotbeds (Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, etc...).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This isn't an issue to take up with Greg Byrne. Gotta take it up with the Man.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I don't understand why people get upset about home and home series. Its hard to get Home and Home game with P5 opponents.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

It is the Mercer and Chattanooga Jr. College games that make we want to puke. Disgusting. I know, I know. It is the $$$$$$$$$$$. Still want to throw up. It is only a matter of time until a one loss Alabama get left out of the playoff and our consolation will be $$$$$$$$$.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This isn't an issue to take up with Greg Byrne. Gotta take it up with the Man.
Yeah, at first I thought Byrne had actually said this and I was thinking may be he shouldn't have.

What I'm tired of personally, are fans that want what is most entertaining to them but not what is best for the program.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
AD Byrne - We Need Some Quality OOC Home and Homes

It is the Mercer and Chattanooga Jr. College games that make we want to puke. Disgusting. I know, I know. It is the $$$$$$$$$$$. Still want to throw up. It is only a matter of time until a one loss Alabama get left out of the playoff and our consolation will be $$$$$$$$$.
Relax - we've been playing these games for a long time.

D1 schools will only offer themselves up as homecoming bait a couple of times a year - they need to make bowl eligibility, too. We actually don't have much of a choice on all that. It's also good for those programs to get the paycheck. It allows some of our less heralded players to have a day in the sun, and it reduces ticket demand, which then allows fans with smaller bank accounts - like yours truly - to make the game. For my own part, I'd rather we play Samford or JSU to keep the money in state, but playing out of town schools does provides a tourism boost for Tuscaloosa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Fans want to win championships. You cannot win championships without championship level recruiting. These games really help in that recruiting. So choose - better home games or championships.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Apparently whatever we've been doing has been working. Our toughest OOC game is first game -- and we are the best out there in being ready early. Not sure what the benefit of playing in another stadium would be.......it's not like we're having trouble recruiting. All we gain by playing someone in their stadium OOC - is an OOC loss that would definitely keep you out of the playoffs. Plus, you'd have to play it in September -- so, what's the difference between playing a home/home OR a different top notch team at a neutral site.

I trust "the man" -- it's working.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We can't really argue with the results...each year we've opened up with a neutral site game and it sets us on a trajectory for the national title hunt.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

While I like the idea of a home and home series with good opponents....it is very hard to argue with the very successful formula Bama has used lately.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

While we're on the subject of quality ooc schedule. I would like to see the basketball team play several quality home and home series each year. Drop all the terrible no-name teams from the November and December home schedule. Anyway....terrible home basketball schedule is my pet peeve.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, at first I thought Byrne had actually said this and I was thinking may be he shouldn't have.

What I'm tired of personally, are fans that want what is most entertaining to them but not what is best for the program.
What is the problem with OOC home and homes?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

Can't we schedule an away date against UVA so I don't have to travel so far to see a guaranteed win?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Cause you'd rather have the success of Georgia, TCU, Notre Dame, and Ohio State? Byrne needs to learn to talk to Coach Saban before he talks to the media.
Byrne has openly said he's not messing with what Saban has done in regards to scheduling because it's clearly working.

A poorly worded title makes it seem like GB is saying otherwise, though.

What is the problem with OOC home and homes?
So you just want OOC home and home or do you want quality opponents? Doesn't seem like we can have both.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I agree with an occasional home-and-home with a traditional "name" school, and remember the fun of series with Notre Dame, USCw, and of course Penn State.

But, guys, those were different days. We played only 6 or 7 conference games. And the SEC was certainly tough, but wasn't quite the meat grinder that it is today.

I know it's not headline football against Eastern Podunk State. But the team needs these games.

Starters get some rest. Injuries get a chance to heal. There's a chance to develop some depth as backups get lots of reps. The fans get to take a breather, and some families with small kids get access that they don't normally get.

The season is tough enough as it is. Adding another game against a traditional power would take away one of these "rest and rehab" games, with implications that would generally show themselves at the end of the season -- when we're hopefully in the hunt for championships.

My goal is to win rings far more than it is to play additional marquee games on top of those we already do.

The best coach in the game today, and maybe the GOAT, thinks that the current setup is the best way to do that. I'm not going to argue with him.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I want Alabama to play Texas, Nebraska, and Notre Dame in the same season.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

Saban schedules the neutral site games for a reason -- they're better for the program. You showcase your team in a recruiting hotbed and generally avoid tough road games of which there are already enough in the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.