NCAA Research: Percentage of HS Football Players from Each State Recruited by D1 Team

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thinking about it, I agree. There is no way that 1 in 10 players in FL were recruited by Div 1 schools. My nephew's team was in the state playoffs in Ohio last year - not a single player on the team went on to play football at a Div 1 school. Some smaller schools, but no Div 1.
Looks like we need the definition of "recruited" here.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The numbers might be a decent overall indicator, but I'd agree that there does seem to be something off with some of those numbers. To give an example, I've seen D1 recruiting stats by state before, and Texas and Florida are usually pretty close in the total number. The difference in population isn't that substantial either, so it seems way off that Florida would have nearly four times as many on a percentage basis. There are probably a couple things that are skewing some of those numbers quite a bit.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Looks like we need the definition of "recruited" here.
Some explanations.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/ncaa-map-states-florida-vermont-football-recruiting

As laid out by NCAA Research, if you are a football player in Florida, you have roughly a one in 10 chance of being recruited by one of those 250-plus programs (9.9 %). That is followed by Georgia (8.6 %) and Louisiana (8.1 %). On the other end of the spectrum is Vermont, in which roughly one in 100 high school football players are looked at by Division I programs (0.9 %).

(The study was done by taking the number of Division I football recruits from 2013 through 2016 and dividing it by the number of boys football players per state in 2015-16 as provided by the National Federation of State High School Associations.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some explanations.

As laid out by NCAA Research, if you are a football player in Florida, you have roughly a one in 10 chance of being recruited by one of those 250-plus programs (9.9 %). That is followed by Georgia (8.6 %) and Louisiana (8.1 %). On the other end of the spectrum is Vermont, in which roughly one in 100 high school football players are looked at by Division I programs (0.9 %).

(The study was done by taking the number of Division I football recruits from 2013 through 2016 and dividing it by the number of boys football players per state in 2015-16 as provided by the National Federation of State High School Associations.)
Thanks - 1 in 10 chance of being recruited is very different from 1 in 10 actually being recruited. I suspect that this is simply misrepresented data. I seriously doubt that 1 in 10 in FL is actively recruited.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some explanations.

Thanks. That still doesn't give us the definition of "recruited" for the study, though.

I know of guys that took visits to games but didn't go D1. Does that count as recruited? Does being contacted by a coach count as being recruited?

The word can be very broad.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am just guessing that this chart represents "looked at." Since this is from high school data I assume it is every player in which film or info were requested from the coach/school.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm not surprised ours is higher than most states, you have to factor in our population playing h.s. football compared to those that sign and/or recruited. We have more talent here than people think, but when you have low numbers compared to places like Texas and have a lot of kids being recruited it will make the number seem high. If it was kid vs kid of course Texas or Cali would blow us out of the water.

At least that is what I get from it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.