NCAA Research: Percentage of HS Football Players from Each State Recruited by D1 Team

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
In the interest of parity I foresee the NCAA rule (sponsored by the B1G) that each state must be equally represented in Offers. That weather. Those Bowl games. This map. All those analyst--hordes of them! Totally UNFAIR.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think this map helps show why North Carolina and Virginia will remain attractive expansion targets to both the SEC and the Big 10.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This chart is interesting. I wonder if the numbers change any for "signed" players, not "recruited " players?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is a cool data point. Where is this from so we can see how the data was derived?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Surprised to see Ohio and Michigan lower than Alabama.
I can think of many reasons why that would be the case but I suspect that the biggest reason is that there are fewer competing sports for the best athletes in some of these states. When I grew up in Ohio, all of the best athletes played football. The other sports got those who couldn't get on the football field. That is simply not the case today. In fact, it isn't close to being true anymore. But in states where football is still everything?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I can think of many reasons why that would be the case but I suspect that the biggest reason is that there are fewer competing sports for the best athletes in some of these states. When I grew up in Ohio, all of the best athletes played football. The other sports got those who couldn't get on the football field. That is simply not the case today. In fact, it isn't close to being true anymore. But in states where football is still everything?
Baseball is still pretty big in Alabama. It looks like the talent level has fallen a bit in the Longhorn state.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I like these type of studies, but the numbers look too funny here. My high school had over 100 players on the team. Only a couple went D1.

Cuda, how many does Allen have on its team?

By having a larger population, many states that have plenty of talent are going to have a smaller percentage for this study (based on what little information we have) because there are more kids on the team (not necessarily playing, though).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like these type of studies, but the numbers look too funny here..
Thinking about it, I agree. There is no way that 1 in 10 players in FL were recruited by Div 1 schools. My nephew's team was in the state playoffs in Ohio last year - not a single player on the team went on to play football at a Div 1 school. Some smaller schools, but no Div 1.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Cuda, how many does Allen have on its team?
I don't think there was any, this last season. I talked to a kid that graduated, 2 years ago, a few weeks back. He said there has been a sharp drop-off, in elite talent, the past few years.

As for the total number of players.............my guess it is a bit over 100 players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.