News Article: Democrat Jon Ossoff gets Hollywood help in Georgia 6th Congressional District

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So this post is about tomorrow's Montana race, but I didn't want to start a new thread. The GOP candidate in this special election just assaulted a reporter trying to ask him about the CBO score released earlier today. The audio is below:

According to a new tweet from Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs, Montana GOP special election candidate Greg Gianforte assaulted him on Wednesday, breaking his glasses and leaving him in need of medical attention.

The incident reportedly took place at the Republican’s final campaign event at his headquarters, where Gianforte planned to thank volunteers.
Link

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Gotta watch out for those aggressive liberal journalists.

Doubling down on that interpretation seems unwise given the existence of this audio recording, the fact that other reporters in attendance are supporting Jacobs' account, and presence of a local TV crew that watched the whole exchange. But we'll see what happens.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Doubling down on that interpretation seems unwise given the existence of this audio recording, the fact that other reporters in attendance are supporting Jacobs' account, and presence of a local TV crew that watched the whole exchange. But we'll see what happens.
he deserves to get body slammed. he just wants to take my hard earned money at the point of a gun.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not to nitpick, but didn't he technically batter the reporter? I'm likely wrong here, but I was told years ago that assault meant threatening and battery meant physically touching.

Not much else to add, just hoping someone can clarify for me. :)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Not to nitpick, but didn't he technically batter the reporter? I'm likely wrong here, but I was told years ago that assault meant threatening and battery meant physically touching.

I think you're right. Good catch. ;)

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Well if he loses he can always go to work for the small business administration.

John Ossoff needs to call his finishing move the Millenial Falcon.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

the Guardian has this up which includes the raw audio and fox news account

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana?CMP=edit_2221

Fox News reporter Alicia Alcuna, field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey witnessed the incident, according to an account published by foxnews.com. After Jacobs asked Gianforte his question, Alcuna wrote, “Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.

“Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of ‘I’m sick and tired of this!’ ... To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff’s deputies.”

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's a real salt of the earth tough guy! He hates the liberal media!

He'll probably win in a landslide...Montana seems like the optimal red state: nobody is there.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's confusing in Alabama. If you look at the criminal statutes, "assault" is, with intent to injure, actually injuring them. There are three degrees. OTOH, a number of places in the Code, there are references to "assault and battery." AFAIK, there is no separate definition for battery. At civil common law, a battery was any unpermitted touching, even the laying on of a finger, although the damages would be minimal. Not really my field though. We used to have a couple of criminal lawyers who would weigh in...

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Gianforte was cited for misdemeanor assault, and he's losing Montana newspaper endorsements faster than Hannity is losing advertisers. But given that 70% of expected voters have already mailed in their ballots, we'll see if that makes any difference at all.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Gianforte obviously doesn't have the mental disposition/temperament to be in congress. If you cant answer a simple policy question without getting physical with a member of the press, what happens when someone asks a difficult question.
With early voting he will probably win anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He'll make a good head of the GOP brownshirts when they finally break this country and it devolves into class based violence that needs to be busted.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The race to fill Montana's sole seat in the U.S. House of Representatives took a violent turn Wednesday, and a crew from the Fox News Channel, including myself, witnessed it firsthand.

As part of our preparation for a story about Thursday's special election to air on "Special Report with Bret Baier," we arranged interviews with the top two candidates, Republican Greg Gianforte and Democrat Rob Quist. On Wednesday, I joined field producer Faith Mangan and photographer Keith Railey in Bozeman for our scheduled interview with Gianforte, which was to take place at the Gianforte for Congress Bozeman Headquarters.

Faith, Keith and I arrived early to set up for the interview in a room adjacent to another room where a volunteer BBQ was to take place. As the time for the interview neared, Gianforte came into the room. We exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about restaurants and Bozeman.

During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon.

At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.
Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the reporter. As Gianforte moved on top of Jacobs, he began yelling something to the effect of, "I'm sick and tired of this!"

Jacobs scrambled to his knees and said something about his glasses being broken. He asked Faith, Keith and myself for our names. In shock, we did not answer. Jacobs then said he wanted the police called and went to leave. Gianforte looked at the three of us and repeatedly apologized. At that point, I told him and Scanlon, who was now present, that we needed a moment. The men then left.

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff's deputies.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
He's a real salt of the earth tough guy! He hates the liberal media!

He'll probably win in a landslide...Montana seems like the optimal red state: nobody is there.
My son, who worked as a journalist there, had an editor who said, "Montanans lean heavily schizophrenic."

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

From the news story I heard on the radio the reporter grabbed the candidate's wrist, so to that point perhaps the journalist is guilty of battery and the candidate is guilty of self defense. I think the courts will have to sort that out. I will cede that I listen to a conservative radio station that is biased just like most of the rest of media is in there own way.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
From the news story I heard on the radio the reporter grabbed the candidate's wrist, so to that point perhaps the journalist is guilty of battery and the candidate is guilty of self defense. I think the courts will have to sort that out. I will cede that I listen to a conservative radio station that is biased just like most of the rest of media is in there own way.
that is definitely the spin the candidate is putting on the story, blame the reporter (see the campaign's statement a few pages back). the other reports seem to imply otherwise.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
that is definitely the spin the candidate is putting on the story, blame the reporter (see the campaign's statement a few pages back). the other reports seem to imply otherwise.
Yeah, the Fox reporters who were standing right next to the incident paint a very different picture. And the Sheriff's charges also seem to contradict the campaign spin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.