News Article: Democrat Jon Ossoff gets Hollywood help in Georgia 6th Congressional District

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Won't win = will Lose

Unless you are Kentucky Football.....then you get a ring
I said there is a chance. Slim, but he is still in it.

Look the story here is zero of the Trump supporters in the GOP did well. Handel didn't exactly embrace him and won. One of the Trump guys needed to finish 2nd for Ossoff to win. There most likely won't be enough Republicans staying home now for him to pull it off.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Look the story here is zero of the Trump supporters in the GOP did well. Handel didn't exactly embrace him and won. One of the Trump guys needed to finish 2nd for Ossoff to win. There most likely won't be enough Republicans staying home now for him to pull it off.
Does anyone else find the "well, the other guy's supporters have to stay home for us to win" narrative amusing?

===================
I blame the press, though - yet again. As I said last night, they pull this garbage all the time and get away with it. "Race X is a referendum on Candidate Y."

Not one shred of evidence has ever proven this theory correct.

Despite what you read, Bill Clinton did not beat GHW Bush because Harris Wofford beat Dick Thornburgh in the PA Senate race. If Clinton had been Dukakis, he would have lost.

And underlying it all? The collective press "we don't like Trump therefore...." I don't like him, either, but I make no pretense about being an objective journalist, either. The insanity is not that the Democrats lost two races they never should have expected to win in the first place (and to be honest - I seriously doubt their consultants thought they had a prayer)....the insanity is the press spinning it as 'he could win and it would be a referendum on Trump.'

But now that he didn't - they abandon that idea because God forbid some folks obviously like the guy.

(The mainstream media is about like the college football media - Alabama loses to Ole Miss and the dynasty is over, beats UGA and the dynasty is back, etc. Truth? Nobody knew then but they couldn't/wouldn't come out and say it.)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Does anyone else find the "well, the other guy's supporters have to stay home for us to win" narrative amusing?
That's been a narrative in politics for as long as I can remember. I mean getting people to NOT turn out was a Trump strategy too. So no I don't really find it amusing.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I'm sorry, I thought the story here was, $12 million Soros-ian money being poured into an insignificant House race -- and it only moved the needle by 1% over the Presidential election percentages. For a 30 year old guy who nobody cared about before 6 weeks ago.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm sorry, I thought the story here was, $12 million Soros-ian money being poured into an insignificant House race -- and it only moved the needle by 1% over the Presidential election percentages. For a 30 year old guy who nobody cared about before 6 weeks ago.
Republicans spent 7 Million dollars and barely squeak out a run-off in a district that hasn't had a Democrat contend in nearly 40 years. Yup nothing to see here

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Another funny thing about this election were all the reports of people in counties outside the 6th calling their election offices trying to figure out how to vote.

http://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/you-live-the-6th-district-not-you-bartow/fns89m6yLQO1ZF13LdBNKO/

I guess GA republicans are just too stupid to commit voter fraud. As much as they like to point out the Democrats do it, you'd think it would be easy for them to just come on down and vote.
Most were "too stupid" because most of the ads did not even tell you what district they were running for.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Republicans spent 7 Million dollars and barely squeak out a run-off in a district that hasn't had a Democrat contend in nearly 40 years. Yup nothing to see here
So, $5 million moved the needle by 1% -- sorry....much better...

Could the change in District 6 be more due to redrawing lines:

This is from 2003 to 2007

This is from 2007 to 2014

This is now

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Could the change in District 6 be more due to redrawing lines:
Republicans were the ones that redrew the lines. You actually think they would do that to give themselves less of an advantage? That's huge if true! Trump level 4D chess stuff right there.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Republicans were the ones that redrew the lines. You actually think they would do that to give themselves less of an advantage? That's huge if true! Trump level 4d chess stuff there.
yes, especially if they can still win the District and move more of their voting base into another district....to give them a better chance there.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So, $5 million moved the needle by 1% -- sorry....much better...
that's some strong math you got there Cajun, 1%?

Results[edit]
Georgia's 6th Congressional District election, 2016 [2]
Party Candidate Votes %
Republican Tom Price (Incumbent) 201,088 61.68%
Democratic Rodney Stooksbury 124,917 38.32%
Total votes 326,005 100
Republican hold

want to try again?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Results[edit]
Party Candidate Votes %
Total votes 326,005 100
Republican hold

want to try again?
Let me just help out Cajun here:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

Results[edit]
Party Candidate Votes %
Total votes 326,005 100
Republican hold

want to try again?
Fake News!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.