News Article: Democrat Jon Ossoff gets Hollywood help in Georgia 6th Congressional District

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
which is 100% more than you or I got, so what

this wasn't Trump versus Hillary, this was an election for a %100 safe GOP Seat that should never even be close to be Blue. This is one of the reason Price got the job because his seat was a "gimme" for the GOP. Was
Seems like Dems made this a Trump vs. Hillary comparison, not Cajun. He's just showing the Dems the degree to which this was a referendum on Trump.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Seems like Dems made this a Trump vs. Hillary comparison, not Cajun. He's just showing the Dems the degree to which this was a referendum on Trump.
it is a referendum on Trump but the proper metric is still Historical Congressional races. Trump swung this race over 20 Points in Ossoff's favor, I can't hep if y'all can't follow it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
it is a referendum on Trump but the proper metric is still Historical Congressional races. Trump swung this race over 20 Points in Ossoff's favor, I can't hep if y'all can't follow it.
Then compare it to other special elections....not congressional races. The environment is much different in special elections. It becomes a single issue race, compared to multi race elections. The NYT was comparing it to the Clinton/Trump numbers on their results page. They didn't compare it to the last congressional race.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the sign stealer from a few pages back was arrested yesterday.

Roswell police have arrested a man on a misdemeanor theft charge after a Twitter user sent a 14-second video of the man putting Jon Ossoff and other campaign signs in the trunk of his car, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
You want to provide one anti Trump ad from him? I'm waiting.....

he campaigned on elimating gov waste, protecting the ACA, working to create high tech jobs, and women's rights. Which is enough for me. I have no idea what the Trump clowns were campaigning for. They decide to only run negative attack ads.

But like I said, I'm sure you and 86 can correct me since you don't live in the district and are getting more correct information than me from Breitbart
Typical Liberal Hate Gibberish.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know this is the conventional argument, but I've never bought it. I think there are times when it probably is or can be but most of the time it's tangential at best. To give the most prominent example, I don't think the 1994 Republican revolution takeover (Newtie as Speaker) had much to do with Bill Clinton. A little? Sure. But that was a perfect storm of old conservative and moderate Democrats retiring (David Boren, for example), the South finally shifting over and becoming more Republican at the local level (Sonny Montgomery and Jamie Whitten of Mississippi both retired but were replaced by Republicans who were near clones of their own views), anti-incumbency for seeming out of touch members (Speaker Tom Foley), ethics problems (Dan Rostenkowski but Brock Adams, Howard Metzenbaum, and Republican Bob Packwood were all in deep trouble), and losing districts where Clinton carried the state in 1992.....plus a few "I hate Clinton" elections.

A lot of the 2010 House wipeout for the Democrats had nothing to do with Obama OR Obamacare (which wasn't even in effect yet though it had passed) but you had a lot of them who won conservative/moderate districts in 06 and 08 and there was some regression to the mean (e.g. the Dems 2008 advantage was larger than should be expected in a polarized country).

I think it WAS something of a referendum on Trump but not in the way a lot of the pundits want to say. The Trump Republican candidates didn't do nearly as well as the non-Trump GOP candidates did.

My only point with the whole conventional thinking is that I'm sick of biased pundits on TV/news telling me "this is a referendum on Trump" when it looks like Ossoff might win but then abandon that narrative with "well, it's still a negative referendum because it was so close." That's arguing in a circle - not that Rachel Maddow or her clones are capable of anything else (or insert Rush if you're on the right).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This reminds me of one of Ed Rollins' stories about the GOP. In 1988, Jack Kemp was bowing out of the race and ready to endorse Daddy Bush. The Bush folks wanted him to go over some points while Kemp just wanted to get it over with because he didn't really care for Bush. Rollins summarized it (and I'm paraphrasing) - "that afternoon two politicians with absolutely no use for each other pledged their mutual and eternal undying devotion and support."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So I don't really know Georgia politics, but this doesn't seem like it would play well in any district.

GOP candidate's husband shares image urging voters to 'free the black slaves from the Democratic plantation'
The husband of Republican congressional candidate Karen Handel shared an image on his Twitter timeline Tuesday that urged voters to support his wife in order to "free the black slaves from the Democratic plantation."

The image, shared by user @rose10052 [and re-tweeted by Handel's husband], featured a stock image of young black man in a suit with white text.

"Criticizing black kids for obeying the law, studying in school, and being ambitious as 'acting white' is a trick Democrats play on Black people to keep them poor, ignorant, and dependent," text on the image reads. "Free the black slaves from the Democratic plantation."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So I don't really know Georgia politics, but this doesn't seem like it would play well in any district.

GOP candidate's husband shares image urging voters to 'free the black slaves from the Democratic plantation'
tbf, things like that didn't hurt trump when his kids re-tweeted them. but i don't think it will play well. it was pulled down pretty quick with the "my husband didn't read what he was re-tweeting" excuse.

and cue the next three pages of posts where it is explained to us how his tweet is actually the truth and that handel is bucking the p.c. culture by saying what everyone really thinks

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I would like Ossoff to list the programs that are duplicates and costing the taxpayers 16 billion dollars. Thats all I have heard from day one of his campaign. Also how he is going to clean up the corrupt government in DC when thats all we hear from politicians and once they get elected they become part of the problem. He should spend some of that 8 million bucks feeding the homeless in Atlanta.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I would like Ossoff to list the programs that are duplicates and costing the taxpayers 16 billion dollars. Thats all I have heard from day one of his campaign. Also how he is going to clean up the corrupt government in DC when thats all we hear from politicians and once they get elected they become part of the problem. He should spend some of that 8 million bucks feeding the homeless in Atlanta.
So #1 You don't believe there is duplication in DC and #2 you want him to illegally spend campaign funds?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

In this day and age, I'd seriously doubt it. Of course, I didn't think Trump could win the election (the nomination could be rationalized as Cruz and Rubio dividing a common vote), either.

Charmin - serious question here, no flame. I believe I recall you saying you live near San Fran and, of course, you post here on the best board on the net but primarily connected with Alabama.

So where are you from exactly? What is your path? And just to be fair - I was originally born in Selma (for real) back when Craig Air Force Base was there (my Dad was a T-33 mechanic at the time). Military brat, lived all over the world and have currently spent the last 12 years in the Republic of Dallas-Fort Worth.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.