Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Truth, and the Future of America

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I looked you up. Seems you've made a cottage industry of pointing out his many instances of wrongheadedness.

By the way, love your art (I assume that's you).
While certainty an impressive compilation, it does seem a bit silly to respond to the points here when NDT himself responded on the guy's blog.

HopDavid

Apr 20, 2017
I looked you up. Seems you've made a cottage industry of pointing out his many instances of wrongheadedness.

By the way, love your art (I assume that's you).
Hey, thanks! I love to draw. The old Marvel comics was a big influence -- Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby and the Buscema brothers. Also Theodor Geisel (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss) and of course M. C. Escher.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Hey, thanks! I love to draw. The old Marvel comics was a big influence -- Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby and the Buscema brothers. Also Theodor Geisel (a.k.a. Dr. Seuss) and of course M. C. Escher.
The diagrams are also very well drawn. Thumbs up.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
I've seen that double slit experiment a few times and still dont understand why that happens. I'm not sure anybody really does at this point. This goes back to when Einstein and Bohr disagreed on quantum physics. Einstein once asked Bohr if he really believed the moon was not there if it wasn't being observed.

I'm not saying that NGT isn't smart. It's that no one really has a grasp on the double-slit lamp experiment. The ones who think they do in the quantum physics world are venturing into metaphysics. But regardless, it seems he feels that the current knowledge of science is already strong enough to make socio-political-economic decisions. He may feel ready to commit the same arrogant sin that the Roman Catholic Church did to Galileo. I'm not sure that returning the same faulty favor is what he wishes to do. In short, he is not afraid of what he doesn't know.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
But regardless, it seems he feels that the current knowledge of science is already strong enough to make socio-political-economic decisions.
In many areas, it undeniably is. He's not proposing we make policy based on an incomplete understanding of quantum physics. But unless you dispute that vaccination eliminated the threat of Polio, it's hard to argue that no area of science is understood well enough to inform policy.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
i found that to be lots of cherry picking as a signalling mechanism by someone who wants to decry cherry picking as a signalling mechanism.
Found it pretty funny when he referred to science as if it was some sort of monolithic entity, not unlike a religion. There were some legitimate criticisms (p-hacking!), but they're wrapped up in a bunch of stupid assumptions.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Found it pretty funny when he referred to science as if it was some sort of monolithic entity, not unlike a religion. There were some legitimate criticisms (p-hacking!), but they're wrapped up in a bunch of stupid assumptions.
He didn't refer to it that way. He made the claim that those he was criticizing did...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it's like if i watched a few minutes of the auburn spring game and then proceeded to write a blog post on all the ways auburn sucks

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Is NDT a Malthusian?

There are a lot of environmentalists who say that they are neither Luddites or Malthusians, but they advocate for population control and are in many cases anti-tech.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.