Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Truth, and the Future of America

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
In many areas, it undeniably is. He's not proposing we make policy based on an incomplete understanding of quantum physics. But unless you dispute that vaccination eliminated the threat of Polio, it's hard to argue that no area of science is understood well enough to inform policy.
It is odd that vaccinations be brought up. I'm not disputing the concept of vaccinations. However the implementation of vaccines from manufacture, testing, as well as the knowledge gaps of the immune system theory is where problems occur. Currently there are valid concerns regarding effectiveness, immune system compromise, and toxicity from additives which have been ignored and pressed into public policy at the level of Washington for corporate profits. NGT would be forced to be concerned that science is being manipulated for the sake of commercial interests. This is not new. Things are not going well for American public health. CDC announced that US life expectancy decreased for the fist time in 2015. ASD rates are also on the rise.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It is odd that vaccinations be brought up. I'm not disputing the concept of vaccinations. However the implementation of vaccines from manufacture, testing, as well as the knowledge gaps of the immune system theory is where problems occur. Currently there are valid concerns regarding effectiveness, immune system compromise, and toxicity from additives which have been ignored and pressed into public policy at the level of Washington for corporate profits. NGT would be forced to be concerned that science is being manipulated for the sake of commercial interests. This is not new. Things are not going well for American public health. CDC announced that US life expectancy decreased for the fist time in 2015. ASD rates are also on the rise.
Oh, for Heaven's sake.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Again, the concept of vaccines is not an issue. It has to do with manufacture, adjuvants, and collateral damage. Despite these issues they have become mandatory in many health policy settings. Many don't know about the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) which has already paid out billions. Could be more if more knew about it. Regardless SCOTUS in a recent ruling declared vaccines as "unavoidably unsafe." Mandatory. Policy. Public.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Is there a risk with vaccines? Yes. Same as with anything you put in your body, like medication or even food. That risk is minimal for most people - on the order of 3 in 100,000 for serious events linked to vaccines. 1 in 1 million vaccine administrations results in compensation from the NVICP, a grand total of 5,353 since 1988.

Weigh that against the benefits. In 1955 there were nearly 14,000 cases of polio and nearly 1,100 DEATHS from polio in the US that year alone. This is not counting all the other diseases for which we have vaccines now. Per the CDC: "In the early 1950s, before polio vaccines were available, polio outbreaks caused more than 15,000 cases of paralysis each year in the United States. " Polio is now eliminated in this US, though it did enter by a foreign traveler in 1993 - the last recorded time it happened. And since all polio vaccinations are now inactivated IPV vaccines, there is NO chance of getting it from vaccine for anyone.

In 1921 15,000 Americans died from diptheria.

In 1964-65 2,000 babies died from rubella, with an additional 11,000 miscarriages attributed to the disease.

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg.

Vaccines prevent FAR more death and misery than they cause.

Medicine is really all about a risk/benefit analysis when it comes to medications and vaccines (and other treatments, of course). Any random person given Tylenol or Advil could die of an allergic reaction or liver/kidney failure caused by the medication. Most cases of the latter are caused by overdose or chronic use. The point still applies: there is no way to eliminate all risks related to vaccines or medications.

Meanwhile, more than 70,000 kids visit emergency rooms each year for accidental poisonings, many related to accidental ingestion of medications.

350 children under the age of five drown each year. An additional 2,600 are treated in emergency rooms for near drowning.

Bottom line: The benefit of vaccines is FAR greater than the risk for the vast majority of people, with extremely rare exceptions. The risk of vaccines is generally less than that of everyday modern life. The fears related to vaccines are greatly out of proportion to the actual risk.

On a policy note: I do support the right of parents to leave their children susceptible to preventable disease, with the caveat they can be barred from attending public school with no compensation for any incurred cost caused by the parent for other school choices.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Measles outbreak rages after anti-vaccine groups target vulnerable community

Minnesota is experiencing its largest measles outbreak since the 1990s following a targeted and intense effort by anti-vaccine groups there to spread the false belief that vaccinations cause autism.

As of Thursday, health officials reported 41 confirmed cases, nearly all unvaccinated children from a Somali immigrant community in Hennepin County. The community has for years been a target of anti-vaccine groups, aided by Andrew Wakefield, a fraudulent former physician.

In the early 2000s, the large Somali immigrant population had high vaccination rates. But in 2008, fear that their children were suffering from higher rates of autism swept through the community. Though research later concluded that autism rates were not unusually high in the community, anti-vaccination activists pounced on the panic. The activists held community meetings and invited Wakefield to visit with scared families. Vaccination rates dropped from 92 percent in 2004 to 42 percent in 2014.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
until it affects everyone around them then we have to look a bit closer. As in all things, not black and white there is lots of gray

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Agreed. On a much lighter note but same principle. My neighbor has the right to "rev up" his overly loud, ear throbbing hot rod all he wants. But when he decides to do it at 2 a.m. and I can literally hear and feel my windows shaking in my house. His right to do that ends.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Agreed. On a much lighter note but same principle. My neighbor has the right to "rev up" his overly loud, ear throbbing hot rod all he wants. But when he decides to do it at 2 a.m. and I can literally hear and feel my windows shaking in my house. His right to do that ends.
as the often mis-attributed quote goes

Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins
I think it is a good rule to live by

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.