Neil deGrasse Tyson on Science, Truth, and the Future of America

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
until it affects everyone around them then we have to look a bit closer. As in all things, not black and white there is lots of gray

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity
I got you. I could make the argument that population control (through abortion) affects everyone around them. If we had the 59 million aborted babies since 1973 contributing to the economy, we might have a stronger SS program, as well as more people who had to buy into Obamacare. Their absence affected everyone around them.

It's a "what if" argument.....

I personally agree with our immunization program. I also agree that parents should be punished for putting others at risk. The issue of forcing people (against their will) to inject chemicals into their system, however, under the wrong regime -- can quickly unravel.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I got you. I could make the argument that population control (through abortion) affects everyone around them. If we had the 59 million aborted babies since 1973 contributing to the economy, we might have a stronger SS program, as well as more people who had to buy into Obamacare. Their absence affected everyone around them.

I personally agree with our immunization program. I also agree that parents should be punished for putting others at risk. The issue of forcing people (against their will) to inject chemicals into their system, however, under the wrong regime -- can quickly unravel.
I don't disagree

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Economic growth shouldn't be based on population growth. If that was true we should be sending buses to Mexico and Central America and bringing in as many immigrants as we can.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Economic growth shouldn't be based on population growth. If that was true we should be sending buses to Mexico and Central America and bringing in as many immigrants as we can.
So, given the structure of our economy, have we grown as an economy as our population as grown? Or are you saying that there is no connection between the two at all?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
So, given the structure of our economy, have we grown as an economy as our population as grown? Or are you saying that there is no connection between the two at all?
There is a connection but it is NOT a good reason for supporting population growth from various sources. A healthy economy should be able to grow on its own.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
There is a connection but it is NOT a good reason for supporting population growth from various sources. A healthy economy should be able to grow on its own.
From what little I know, per-capita growth is rare. We have only experienced it here because of our vast natural resources and our period of trade advantage after WWII,

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Minnesota measles outbreak exceeds last year's nationwide numbers

There are now more measles cases in Minnesota than there were in the entire United States last year.

There were 70 confirmed cases of measles across the country in 2016, and the majority of people who got measles were unvaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In comparison, there are now 73 confirmed measles cases in Minnesota, mostly in unvaccinated children in Hennepin, Ramsey, Crow Wing and Le Sueur counties, according to data released by the Minnesota Department of Health on Thursday.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Is this a problem with Americans not immunizing their kids? Or is it a refugee problem, letting in people from other countries who have different immunization standards.

A growing portion of children of Somali descent are going without an MMR vaccination in Minnesota. The percent of 2-year-olds who were born in Minnesota and have received MMR vaccinations drops between 2004 and 2014 among those of Somali descent compared with those not of Somali descent.
Which liberal position will win out on this issue? Protecting all of the children? Or protecting Somalis?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.