Link: Saban on the Clemson Game - "I'll Never Get Over It"

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
You left out the biggest quote:

"Look, having to make the change probably wasn't helpful, but it was better than the alternative and that wasn't my fault. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is."
Yeah, IOW "I was better off switching to Sark than letting Kiffin continue to screw up my team."

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I, for one, am not at all sorry to have seen Kiffin hit the road. Outwardly, I was optimistically hoping for the best from Kiffin last season - sort of hoping for a re-lit fire - after the off-season near-termination and coaching offer snubs but, in the back of my mind, I was worried and perhaps a bit disappointed that he was conning back.

As much of an offensive genius as he is - and he really is - and as good of a play-caller as he can be, his arrogance and, I believe, his insecurities keep him from coming close to realizing his true potential.

It seems to me that whenever he's on the sideline he is constantly, desperately trying to prove - to the world and to himself - just how much of an offensive genius he is.

As a result, he takes a few too many risks and is far too quick to abandon what is working in an apparent attempt to preemptively counter the adjustments the opposing defensive coaches might make before they actually make them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I, for one, am not at all sorry to have seen Kiffin hit the road. Outwardly, I was optimistically hoping for the best from Kiffin last season - sort of hoping for a re-lit fire - after the off-season near-termination and coaching offer snubs but, in the back of my mind, I was worried and perhaps a bit disappointed that he was conning back.

As much of an offensive genius as he is - and he really is - and as good of a play-caller as he can be, his arrogance and, I believe, his insecurities keep him from coming close to realizing his true potential.

It seems to me that whenever he's on the sideline he is constantly, desperately trying to prove - to the world and to himself - just how much of an offensive genius he is.

As a result, he takes a few too many risks and is far too quick to abandon what is working in an apparent attempt to preemptively counter the adjustments the opposing defensive coaches might make before they actually make them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.
Amen, brother. So often, in trying to prove otherwise, truly insecure people become the very thing they're trying so hard not to be.

In Kiffin's case, he tries so hard to prove he's the smartest playcaller in the country, he ends up making unwarranted risk / reward trade offs. In doing so, he becomes what he fears most -- the second-smartest playcaller, not in the country, but in the stadium that day.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I'm ready to get back to 4th quarter, 8 minute drives that end with a kneel on the 2 yard line.
Man I love 4th Quarter ball. Coach knows that we're defined by our failures and what we do to overcome them rather than our successes. Really looking forward to what's ahead.

Sano

1st Team
Oct 30, 2006
NYC
Him not getting over games is the reason we are on top of the college football world for so long.. Love my coach and my team and proud and grateful for this... May he never have peace with these losses or future losses..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You can use a loss like that as motivation, or you can let it rip you apart. Richt made a similar comment after the 2012 loss in the SECCG. GA was never the same again.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think tempo was a good thing for us at times. I don't think it was a good fit for Coker who was a little slow on the uptake when it came to processing information on the field. Sometimes it worked well for Jalen but not when we hurried up right off the field in three downs. The smoothest it ran was with Blake Sims at quarterback and he was the only veteran within the program at least. Coker was a short-timer and Jalen was a newbie.

I hope we keep the tempo but only ever do it after a successful first down play. Our problems with tempo seemed to be the "NASCAR mode no matter what" mindset.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm ready to get back to 4th quarter, 8 minute drives that end with a kneel on the 2 yard line.
I love them, too, but I believe it was the 2013 AU loss when we were so close to a three-peat that motivated him to bring in a wild card like Kiffy-poo in the first place. We had become too predictable. I won't get into how I wish he would have brought in anyone other than d-bag, but I think he tried to embrace the new rules and styles so we wouldn't be at such a disadvantage to those abusing all the rules that are set up to help offenses these days. I think the Clemson loss made him realize that too much finesse without the ability to control the line of scrimmage can still get you beat. I still don't expect a full return to predictable ground and pound, though, because it still took a very good team with a tremendous amount of talent to beat us even when our offense was non-existent for 2.5 quarters. If we can still keep some punishing physical characteristics from old and the ability to get the ball to our ample amount of playmakers in space and mix that with a defense that will smother teams, I'm thinking we'll be okay.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
You can use a loss like that as motivation, or you can let it rip you apart. Richt made a similar comment after the 2012 loss in the SECCG. GA was never the same again.
Urban Meyer felt this after the 2009 SEC championship. It derailed his whole program at Florida.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I understand --and agree--why he had to leave when he did, but somebody remind me of our record while Kiffin was here. Then tell me we will have that same record over the next three yrs and I will take it RIGHT NOW. So we lost the CG, it would not have mattered who our OC was, our qb could not sustain drives and our D was put in an impossible situation.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand --and agree--why he had to leave when he did, but somebody remind me of our record while Kiffin was here. Then tell me we will have that same record over the next three yrs and I will take it RIGHT NOW. So we lost the CG, it would not have mattered who our OC was, our qb could not sustain drives and our D was put in an impossible situation.
The same can be said for the record Under Mac and Nuss. There's a common denominator there.

Read Saban's comments from this week and you can see who he puts at fault for the issues with Jalen. It's pretty clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Read Saban's comments from this week and you can see who he puts at fault for the issues with Jalen. It's pretty clear.
I thought that Saban was taking responsibility. I get that some see him blaming Kiffin, and maybe he does behind the scenes, but he has never thrown a coach under the bus before. I refuse to believe that he started this week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I thought that Saban was taking responsibility. I get that some see him blaming Kiffin, and maybe he does behind the scenes, but he has never thrown a coach under the bus before. I refuse to believe that he started this week.
He's not going to directly blame Kiffin. Reading between the lines and what he says, you can tell he's putting some fault at Lane's feet.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
He sure tossed Lane under the bus in that quote. In other words taking blame for what he could, but he wasn't the one calling plays off script or showing up to the game in a shape unsuitable for coaching.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He sure tossed Lane under the bus in that quote. In other words taking blame for what he could, but he wasn't the one calling plays off script or showing up to the game in a shape unsuitable for coaching.
Only to people looking for it. I read the same quote and see Saban saying "we" and "coaches". He is the head coach. If the coaches failed Jalen last year, that lands on Saban. He knows it and isn't ducking it. I commend him for it.

The media wants to turn it into something ugly, and you guys are buying it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We "danced with the one that brought us" last year and it didn't turn out like we hoped. I think we'll bring a prettier girl to the dance next year!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Only to people looking for it. I read the same quote and see Saban saying "we" and "coaches". He is the head coach. If the coaches failed Jalen last year, that lands on Saban. He knows it and isn't ducking it. I commend him for it.

Or maybe we know something already...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Saban on the Clemson Game - "I'll Never Get Over It"

Sorry, pal, I'm not buying anything. I know for a fact what was going on with Kiffin for three years including the debacle against Washington.

None of this is media driven because none of the media has reported on it. In fact, I had someone inside the athletic office tell me that every beat reporter in town knew what was going on with Lane but wouldn't dare report it because it would kill off every source they had.

I don't play this card often but I do know a few things, and this is one of them.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.