Reuben Foster Failed Drug Test at Combine

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What is the impact of a "diluted sample" vs a positive for a specific drug in the draft?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What is the impact of a "diluted sample" vs a positive for a specific drug in the draft?
It goes down as a positive test. He'll be in the NFL drug testing program after he signs his contract which means he'll be tested more (randomly) than everyone else..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It does have to be reiterated though that all it was, was a diluted sample. It could have been because he was trying to hide something, or from what I understand that he simply drank too much water. The NFL considers a diluted sample to be a failed test though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just wonder if it will impact his draft. Hopefully it will not. NFL teams tend to disbelieve player stories about false positives.

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
I deal with drug screens a lot with work. A diluted sample could mean that he's trying to hide something or he drank a lot of water, or if he had food poisoning and got some IV fluids that could've caused the dilution. A diluted sample does not always mean it's bad.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I deal with drug screens a lot with work. A diluted sample could mean that he's trying to hide something or he drank a lot of water, or if he had food poisoning and got some IV fluids that could've caused the dilution. A diluted sample does not always mean it's bad.
That's exactly what Foster is claiming. Said he had food poisoning and was vomiting along with other things the week before the combine. I'm sure he was rehydrating like crazy trying to recover from that. It also sounds like he's tried to get in front of this as much as possible. I read an article that said that he was on the phone immediately with all of the teams interested in him, and he hasn't been shying away from the media. Unless he actually fails a drug test due to illegal substances, I can't imagine that it will hurt his draft stock. Especially the way he's handled the situation. Really think there's nothing to see here.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
It's really not so much of a failure (F), in grading terms, as it is getting an incomplete (I).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ugh -- I bet he wishes the draft would hurry up and get here. I still think he can be the best LB we've ever put into the NFL. But, I thought that about Rolando too.....shows you what I know.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
They need to leave him alone...he is a dang good FB player under a rather hot spotlight right now, and if this is the only thing he does then still a pretty good person too. Gotta feel for him, nothing he does is going to be good for awhile, he could fart and he'll get shot down for depleting the Ozone or something.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I just wonder if it will impact his draft. Hopefully it will not. NFL teams tend to disbelieve player stories about false positives.
It might but my guess is not that much. He's too good. He's a lock for a top 20 pick and I would still bet on him being a top 10 pick.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
It goes down as a positive test. He'll be in the NFL drug testing program after he signs his contract which means he'll be tested more (randomly) than everyone else..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If that's right, it doesn't mean much. Regular NFL drug testing is a joke (it's really an unbelievable... no, mindblowing... testament to how dumb / uncaring of getting caught a lot of NFL players are that they ever test positive even once). Testing only occurs once and the timing is extremely predictable, if not certain. For a variety of logistical reasons, it'll almost certainly occur at some point during training camp, and my understanding is that players and those around them know a good bit more than that general timeframe. Oh, and Stage 1, which is what comes when you get caught once (which I think is what you're saying Reuben might be going into), isn't much tougher: pee clean at a predictable time in a 90 day period and you're back to the standard.

That's tangential, I know. But man, I can't get over how dumb and amazing it is that dudes fail these.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Thursday night can't get here fast enough. Feel sorry for RF. Seems like this whole combine thing has been bad luck for him. Will probably cause him to slide a few picks, according to some commentators I heard this morning who were specifically citing previous players who had a 'diluted sample' at the combine.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I guess the title of this thread is technically accurate, but it seems misleading and it's apt to make people think he actually got caught using.

As far as being drafted goes, if teams can corroborate his story about being sick and getting fluids, I suspect it will have little to no impact on his draft status. If his story doesn't hold water, then he's ....ed away a great opportunity (pun intended). My bet is that his story is for real and he will probably not be much harmed by the diluted sample.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.