News Article: Denny Chimes Walk of Fame Eroding Away in Places

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
This needs to be restored ASAP if it can.
Now you put something called air entrainment into concrete. It drastically reduces the freeze/thaw damage to concrete. That chemical didn't exist back when the early sections were placed. There might possibly be some coatings that could be used to slow down further deterioration, but you're not going to restore it. Restore means to make it like it used to be. For that to be the case, a plaster cast would have to exist for you to use to mimic the old one and build a new one.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Now that I think about it, 3d surveys of buildings are now not that uncommon. I bet that they could make a point cloud of these, then have some one do adjustments in the computer to try and mimic what they used to look like compared to old photos and then send that output to a 3d printer. They then pour concrete with the 3d printout placed in the form as a void. That might actually work. It dang sure wouldn't be cheap.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
A co-worker works with the person quoted in the article. I just sent my idea to him so he can forward it to Brandon and I also copied a professor I know in the Civil Engineering Department. This could be an interesting school project.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Now that I think about it, 3d surveys of buildings are now not that uncommon. I bet that they could make a point cloud of these, then have some one do adjustments in the computer to try and mimic what they used to look like compared to old photos and then send that output to a 3d printer. They then pour concrete with the 3d printout placed in the form as a void. That might actually work. It dang sure wouldn't be cheap.
that's what grad students are for ;)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
those things are pretty cool, but they are very expensive

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
There might be a little bit of money laying around the athletic department.... :)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I thought years ago a mold could be made of the prints and then transferred to another slab.
But then you'd have a copy of something in bad shape. This might be able to yield a result looking like the original. The faculty member I sent it to has forwarded it to colleagues that specialize in this sort of thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.