Another Loss for Gerrymandering

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am no fan of gerrymandering under any cases.
I do find it humorous, however, that the general government informs the states: "Our gerrymandering is fine. Your gerrymandering is a disgrace."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am no fan of gerrymandering under any cases.
I do find it humorous, however, that the general government informs the states: "Our gerrymandering is fine. Your gerrymandering is a disgrace."
I viewed this decision as a victory for states' rights. OTOH, I always viewed gerrymandering as being a state-level issue. What federal gerrymandering are you referring to?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I viewed this decision as a victory for states' rights. OTOH, I always viewed gerrymandering as being a state-level issue. What federal gerrymandering are you referring to?
The federally-mandated (really DOJ and the federal judiciary) gerrymandering southern states have to go through to ensure a black representative gets elected by giving him a black-majority district.
I used to live in the Virginia 3rd (Bobby Scott was my Representative). When I asked his office about racially gerrymandered districts like his, his office said I was "virtually represented" by white-majority districts in Virginia.
They were unaware of the irony of that response.
The NC 12th is another example. At one point, the NC 12th included the north-bound lane of I-85, but not the south-bound lane.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.