What is your worst Football "I'll never get over it" moment?

chuaner

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2008
Re: What is your worst "I'll never get over it" moment?

Me too.

I can get over the losts over tebow and watson. They are classy players and we've beaten them also.

losts to cam/osu were furious. lost to utah was embarrassing. (remember our players threat to kill them on the field?) The Okie one is just clueless. McCarron proved nothing and the whole team was never in the game.

1. Kick 6
2. The Cam Comeback
3. The OSU Comeback
4. Loss to Utah
5. Loss to Okie

(The Clemson loss was tough BUT I kinda rank that along the same lines when we lost to Florida in 08. Both stung but not as much as these other games did, mainly because we played solid games and just came up short)

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
Re: What is your worst "I'll never get over it" moment?

1. Kick 6
2. The Cam Comeback
3. The OSU Comeback
4. Loss to Utah
5. Loss to Okie

(The Clemson loss was tough BUT I kinda rank that along the same lines when we lost to Florida in 08. Both stung but not as much as these other games did, mainly because we played solid games and just came up short)
It's funny that some times I'm going through bout to post mine but i see one that Would be the post I put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: What is your worst "I never get over it" moment?

I won't impugn the OP, but I'm past the "never get over it" stage of my sports hobby.

It's never been much of a problem with Alabama because we win so many titles that the next title sort of washes away what happened.

But consider my sports lifetime just for a moment and my favorite teams:

Alabama lost a national title on the last play (basically) with a probably illegally run play

Five weeks later, Atlanta blew a 25-point lead in the Super Bowl and lost.....on the last play.

In 2011, my Texas Rangers were TWICE one strike away from winning the World Series....we're still waiting.

In 1991, my Braves lost the greatest World Series ever played on the last play in the tenth inning. In fact - to give you heartbreak - the Braves held a 3-2 lead and lost BOTH game six AND game seven in EXTRA innings, something that has never happened before or since. (I still like the Braves but became a Rangers fan when I moved here and went to a bunch of games).

So let's talk about the Kick Six game for just a minute - it mildly affects me but only because we could have had the first legitimate THREE-peat in cfb history and the weird part is that if UGA doesn't tip that ball, we STILL win three in a row I believe because a loss to Auburn would have been the best thing as far as adjusting the team into kill mode for Mizzou and FSU.

The Kick Six game was an absolute nightmare. JessN is right - we were literally TWICE the team as Auburn in 2013. The problem, though, was that on that particular day Auburn played well enough to: a) hang around; and b) win. When we kept leaving points on the board, I was having 1999 La Tech flashbacks and that's almost what happened only worse. When Marshall hit Coates to tie the game, I figured we were dead. Then when we got a chance to win it on a field goal, I was thinking, "28 years to the day after Tiffin's kick it would be great to do it again." When it came up short, I was on my feet and turned my head to the right because as a fat old boy back then I had to have clearance to sit my fat behind down. When I looked back at the screen, I thought, "Hmmm....uh oh....." and I'm sure I was white as a ghost. Mostly, I was in utter shock - not that we lost but HOW we lost. I was numb for about an hour.

One friend (a girl) was watching her first ever Alabama game in California that day and we were texting during the game and when Davis ran it back she texted, "Can they do that?" I said, "Yep....." I had already warned my MSU buddy that we were letting them hang around too late into the game, and then he didn't hear from me for a long time. He asked me what happened and I told him and it was like, "Do what?"

I'll say this about it: I'm one of those fans who wouldn't have really cared about the Kick Six if we had still won the championship and three-peated. The loss wouldn't have had the devastating implications it did - it was in truth a HISTORIC loss in MANY ways.

That being said - I was pretty much over it once we won the Clemson game two years later. It was utterly shocking and Auburn deserved to win but I'm over it.

Let me put it this way: I've watched the 2013 game again. I've NEVER watched the 2010 IB or the 2011 World Series game six again. My Atlanta Braves pain died on my birthday in 1995, when they won it all. In fact, the next year when we were up 2-0 on the Yankees I became one of those fans who just assumed we'd win because we owned them through the first six innings of game four (rout in game one, shutout in game two, close loss in game three, 6-0 lead).

My Notre Dame buddy refuses to watch Colorado beat them on the clip of Ismail in 1991, too. To this day he will not watch it.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Camback, I was there and was so .... ed I walked right through the middle of the Barn band in the parking lot.
This is mine also.....particularly while hearing the Barn fans sing their version of Rammer Jammer in BDS.....still get sick over it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: What is your worst Football "I never get over it" moment?

CGS not going for 2 in the 94 SECCG. Could've been a really special year. I still believe we were far better than that particular Florida team.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa

The outcome of the 2010 Iron Bowl messed with me like no other. I changed the way I watched after that game. I was salty for weeks after that game. I expected the Sugar Bowl loss that followed.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I guess I'll put it in context of the games I immediately deleted from my DVR never to be seen again. I'll just list them in chronological order from oldest to newest.

2010 Iron Bowl, 2013 Iron Bowl, 2014 Sugar Bowl (Oklahoma), 2015 CFP Semi (tOSU), 2017 CFP NC (Clemson)

I've re-watched all other losses at least once to go over what happened without being in the heat of the moment. These 5 losses I will never watch again though.

The one I'm least bitter about is the loss to tOSU. In hindsight they were probably the better team. It just sucked to let a 21-6 lead evaporate to an Urban Meyer coached team while giving up 28 unanswered points. They pretty much shellacked us in the 2nd-3rd qtrs. So I can deal with it....I just don't want to see it again.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

In 2011, my Texas Rangers were TWICE one strike away from winning the World Series....we're still waiting.

In 1991, my Braves lost the greatest World Series ever played on the last play in the tenth inning. In fact - to give you heartbreak - the Braves held a 3-2 lead and lost BOTH game six AND game seven in EXTRA innings, something that has never happened before or since. (I still like the Braves but became a Rangers fan when I moved here and went to a bunch of games).
You are not alone!

Guess we are both gluttons for punishment.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I guess I'll put it in context of the games I immediately deleted from my DVR never to be seen again. I'll just list them in chronological order from oldest to newest.

2010 Iron Bowl, 2013 Iron Bowl, 2014 Sugar Bowl (Oklahoma), 2015 CFP Semi (tOSU), 2017 CFP NC (Clemson)

I've re-watched all other losses at least once to go over what happened without being in the heat of the moment. These 5 losses I will never watch again though.

The one I'm least bitter about is the loss to tOSU. In hindsight they were probably the better team. It just sucked to let a 21-6 lead evaporate to an Urban Meyer coached team while giving up 28 unanswered points. They pretty much shellacked us in the 2nd-3rd qtrs. So I can deal with it....I just don't want to see it again.

This is also true. It's hard - to me anyway - to get upset too much when you got beat fair and square on the scoreboard and in the fundamentals of the game even if it sucks.

I was more bothered at the time by the 2011 LSU loss because I knew it would go a long way towards healing as much as possible the tornado fallout.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

Two. Both when I was very young. 1st was punt bama punt, but the worst for me was the '73 Sugar Bowl 23-24.

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

...ND 24-Bama 23.

I was there.....It still makes me sick.

42-14 in 2012 helped.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

1970 at TN. Lost 24 - 0. Beginning to end, a prolonged whipping.
This one is in my top 5. Was there in Neyland to witness Scott Hunter's 5 (8 total for game by us) ints. Plus, we were skunked to boot.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I'll have to go with the fumble against The Barn by Ed Scissum, not so much for losing to those idiots, but, the play call & the situation it put Ed in during the play..Ed Scissum was always my favorite player when he played at Bama, because I loved watching him bowl folks over running the ball, he's still at the very Top of my all time favorite Bama Players..

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA

1995 Arkansas in Tuscaloosa. I was in the old student section in the Northeast corner. Arkansas "scored" on a reception that even from my vantage point hopped and was trapped. Plus they had 12 mean on the field with no flag, and if I recall it was a 5th down because of horrible officiating. The officials had earlier in the drive proven they could count to 12 when they flagged the defense for just that.

About 10 years later I would up talking to one of Arkansas' TEs from that game. He said they had no idea what game the refs were watching that day either.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah, the Prothro injury was "gut kicking" .... my Mom didn't watch the rest of the game. I understood how she felt.
I'll never for get over Prothro, ever. That game was such a high then it turned so bad after that. I'll get over a loss, but players getting hurt irreparably is the worst loss that I'll never get over.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.