What is your worst Football "I'll never get over it" moment?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For Auburn loses I would say 93,95, 97,and 05. All four had some Jerkin Hair Stadium weirdness to them whether it be bonehead coaching on our part(97) (05), illegal plays on their part (93), or refs hosing us (95).

I never saw the camback because I was deployed and AFN wasn't readily available at where I was.

For some reason the Kick six doesn't get my goat that bad. Yeah it sucked because it ruined a potential repeat, but I saw something crazy coming when our kickers couldn't hit the mark and our offensive coordinator continuously played into Ellis Johnson's hands. So I saw some miracle coming.

Tennessee-

2003 broke me for awhile because it was a very emotional draining game in which we could've stuck it to Fat Phil once again but we lost in 5 ots.

2006- That's when I knew Shula's days were numbered, but it didn't change how I felt about that game for awhile.

LSU-

I would say either 05 or 07. 11-5-2011 is not bad due to 1-9-2012. But 05 and 07 are hard games to get over.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Re: What is your worst Football "I never get over it" moment?

Several have mentioned the 1983 Penn State game. I have this one ranked as my #2 "I'll never get over it" moment and probably should have mentioned it in my original post. Since we were down 34-7 at one point in the 4th quarter the Preston Gothard catch would have completed one of the greatest comebacks in Alabama history. I remember watching the game and my mother came into the living room and asking me what happened because she heard me shouting at the TV screen.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Several have mentioned the 1983 Penn State game. I have this one ranked as my #2 "I'll never get over it" moment and probably should have mentioned it in my original post. Since we were down 34-7 at one point in the 4th quarter the Preston Gothard catch would have completed one of the greatest comebacks in Alabama history. I remember watching the game and my mother came into the living room and asking me what happened because she heard me shouting at the TV screen.
I've gotten over it...what hit me was that Walter Lewis got flak for not winning the big game from behind, yet when he did it, it was taken from him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

1995 Arkansas in Tuscaloosa. I was in the old student section in the Northeast corner. Arkansas "scored" on a reception that even from my vantage point hopped and was trapped. Plus they had 12 mean on the field with no flag, and if I recall it was a 5th down because of horrible officiating. The officials had earlier in the drive proven they could count to 12 when they flagged the defense for just that.

About 10 years later I would up talking to one of Arkansas' TEs from that game. He said they had no idea what game the refs were watching that day either.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
You're sort of right but fuzzy on the details.

JJ Meadors has always said he caught the ball - even admitting "barely" and he has nothing to lose by saying nowadays, "No, I didn't really catch it" but that hardly matters.

Arky had 12 men on the field I believe two plays before the winning TD/trap/whatever. The reason you're thinking fifth down is because it had the net effect of being a fifth down because it wasn't called. The penalty back then was 15 yards AND a loss of down. It's doubtful they win if you back Lunney up fifteen yards.

That was horrible for me because I lived in Arkansas at the time and they thought they should be winning games they lost by four touchdowns. That was an unbearable year all the way around.

The missed penalty bothers me more than the catch/trap. I reviewed it again and it looks like a catch to me, but it never should have come down to that. I couldn't get too upset because we deserved to lose it. In the second half, we had almost nothing but three and outs, we ran only 32 plays in the entire half and seven of those were punts. I think we had three yards offense in the fourth quarter.

That said - I cannot imagine the frustration of losing that one and seeing it live and in person.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I've gotten over it...what hit me was that Walter Lewis got flak for not winning the big game from behind, yet when he did it, it was taken from him.
Funny thing is that Walter didn't have that many chances to win big games from behind...

He was the starter his last two years.

In the 1982 Vols game, we trailed, 35-21, with 7:21 left. We had a primarily wishbone offense and Walter got us one touchdown and threw a pass into the end zone that hit the Bama receiver on the hands and was tipped for an interception. (How is this one Walter's fault?)

We trailed LSU, 17-0, at halftime in 1982 and Walter got us within seven on the first two drives. We lost by ten.

In the 1982 USM game, the Eagles led 21-0 and 28-7 and 35-14 (in the third). We lost, 38-29. I mean, that's not on Walter, either.

We led Auburn, 22-14. Walter got it back with 1:09 left but okay, he didn't do it.

In 1983, as you noted, he DID a sensational comeback against State Penn and they stole it from him. (That call was so bad that MANY Penn St fans have told me it was among the worst calls they'd ever seen). The next week against Tennessee, we were leading, 34-31, in the fourth and lost, 41-34. Once again - it never should have come to that. Boston College was in a snowstorm that knocked out the third quarter of CBS' coverage so what is a Southern kid to do? And the next game against Auburn, the torrential rains stifled any passing game from both sides.

I'm just saying that the guy never had many opportunities in the first place.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

The Crimson Tide was ROBBED by the HOMER Nittany Lions officials! I guess Jo Pa was oblivious to this just like other things happening in his department on campus!!!!!!! I'm still MAD as _____ about this 30+ years later. This one plus the last few seconds of the NC game in January 2017. I just knew the D was going to make a play, but it didn't happen. I'm still STUNNED almost 4 months later! Well "alabama mike1" did bring up ND. I'm NEVER happy when we lose to them! Dang, I NEVER like losing to that school in West Georgia!!!!!!! Bo, why in heck did you go to the Barn?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As a followup to Coach Saban's interview where he gave his worst losses which he said he will never get over, I thought it might be interesting to learn what you all feel is the loss that you guys have the toughest time dealing with. Was it the Clemson loss, Kick Six, something else? For me it was the Kick Six. While the Clemson loss was tough I did feel we might lose when Clemson got the ball with 2 minutes to play. The Kick Six was totally unexpected and oh my, what could have been had we won that game.
South Carolina & LSU in 2010.

I've always felt like the 2010 team would mop the floor with any other team that Coach Saban has fielded. I just felt like that team left a lot of plays on the field. The South Carolina game from Garcia playing out of his mind to McElroy staring down receivers and holding onto the ball. And the LSU game, being frustrated at them picking on Milliner because I knew the type of player that he'd eventually be.

I think the AU game, I was more tired of you all here obsessing over Cam (is that whole new board that we created still active?) than I was of Cam himself. I thought we gave that one away. But by that time, that team had already underachieved.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm still pretty broke up about the Clemson game last January. 14-0, chance to be the first 15-0 team and another repeat. Yes, they had outplayed us but with a minute or so to go we took the lead and couldn't hold it. Forget about the defense not making a play. How about a Clemson guy just slipping down? A bad pass or a receiver dropping the ball? But no, none of that happened.

Most of the other losses of the CNS era have had some kind of redemption. Florida in 08 was overcome by Florida in 09 and every Florida game since. The debacles of 2010 as well as the LSU loss in 2011 was overcome by the LSU win in the NC game. The 2012 Texas A&M game was redeemed when we went on to win the NC and then by beating A&M every year since. The barn loss in 2013 has been redeemed every year since. The playoff loss to Ohio State was redeemed by winning it all the next year. The Ole Miss losses have never even registered. LOL, they cheated up a storm and still never even won the west division.

So, other than this past January's loss to Clemson, which we haven't yet had the opportunity to redeem, I'd have to say the 2002 Iron Bowl. The game fRAN tanked. No, I haven't gotten over that pile of horse crap yet. I've totally erased the disappointments of the Mike & Mike eras.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
Re: What is your worst "I'll never get over it" moment?

LSU 2011. I was a student and the entire campus couldn't focus on anything but that game the week of. It was the most electric week on campus. There were more than a couple plays where if we could've changed "just one" play's outcome, we would have won. An interception we missed here, and dropped open pass there. The "interception" on the goal line that they gave to LSU that should've been either a TD or spotted on the one for Bama. I'll never get over seeing those crazy Cajuns go absolutely nuts when we missed the field goal in OT. You could've heard a cell phone vibrate three rows away from you in the student section.

The 2012 loss to A&M was tough too. How many turnovers did we have on the goal line again?

And of course, the Kick 6. I had the best seats in the house being 4 rows behind the Million Dollar Band, and it was my first SEC away game and last game to attend as a UA student. At halftime, I was wondering how bad we would blow past Auburn in the second half. And the Auburn fans gave me every new reason I didn't need to hate their guts. I've never been openly cussed at so much in my life. The worst part was they begged before the game for us to "take it easy on them" and said, "I just hope we can keep it close." Then after, "I KNEW we were going to win!" .............NO YOU DIDN'T. They are sorry excuses for fans who quit on their team when things get tough.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Funny thing is that Walter didn't have that many chances to win big games from behind...

He was the starter his last two years.

In the 1982 Vols game, we trailed, 35-21, with 7:21 left. We had a primarily wishbone offense and Walter got us one touchdown and threw a pass into the end zone that hit the Bama receiver on the hands and was tipped for an interception. (How is this one Walter's fault?)

We trailed LSU, 17-0, at halftime in 1982 and Walter got us within seven on the first two drives. We lost by ten.

In the 1982 USM game, the Eagles led 21-0 and 28-7 and 35-14 (in the third). We lost, 38-29. I mean, that's not on Walter, either.

We led Auburn, 22-14. Walter got it back with 1:09 left but okay, he didn't do it.

In 1983, as you noted, he DID a sensational comeback against State Penn and they stole it from him. (That call was so bad that MANY Penn St fans have told me it was among the worst calls they'd ever seen). The next week against Tennessee, we were leading, 34-31, in the fourth and lost, 41-34. Once again - it never should have come to that. Boston College was in a snowstorm that knocked out the third quarter of CBS' coverage so what is a Southern kid to do? And the next game against Auburn, the torrential rains stifled any passing game from both sides.

I'm just saying that the guy never had many opportunities in the first place.
I understand and agree...what I was saying is that he was UNFAIRLY criticized for losses that were not on him. I should have stated it better...he was not our problem those two years...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I understand and agree...what I was saying is that he was UNFAIRLY criticized for losses that were not on him. I should have stated it better...he was not our problem those two years...
No, I got that. You were saying what OTHERS said, and I was defending Walter along with you. No problems!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: What is your worst "I'll never get over it" moment?

LSU 2011. I was a student and the entire campus couldn't focus on anything but that game the week of. It was the most electric week on campus. There were more than a couple plays where if we could've changed "just one" play's outcome, we would have won. An interception we missed here, and dropped open pass there. The "interception" on the goal line that they gave to LSU that should've been either a TD or spotted on the one for Bama. I'll never get over seeing those crazy Cajuns go absolutely nuts when we missed the field goal in OT. You could've heard a cell phone vibrate three rows away from you in the student section.

The 2012 loss to A&M was tough too. How many turnovers did we have on the goal line again?

And of course, the Kick 6. I had the best seats in the house being 4 rows behind the Million Dollar Band, and it was my first SEC away game and last game to attend as a UA student. At halftime, I was wondering how bad we would blow past Auburn in the second half. And the Auburn fans gave me every new reason I didn't need to hate their guts. I've never been openly cussed at so much in my life. The worst part was they begged before the game for us to "take it easy on them" and said, "I just hope we can keep it close." Then after, "I KNEW we were going to win!" .............NO YOU DIDN'T. They are sorry excuses for fans who quit on their team when things get tough.
We had three turnovers in the 2012 ATM game.

1) On our second possession, AJ tried to hit Kenny Bell on one of those dangerous plays and the ball deflected into the hands of Sean Porter, who returned it to our 41.

2) Second was a fumble by Yeldon at their thirty, right after the 50-yard bomb to Amari

3) The last was AJ's interception in the end zone on fourth down.

So we only had ONE on the goal line, but we had all three in their territory (Porter's pick was at the ATM 43 and he returned it sixteen yards).

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Re: What is your worst "I never get over it" moment?

The Clemson game this year, but in kind of the opposite way. For the time being, instead of never getting over it, I'm 100% totally over it.

I've been looking for a way to care less about football for a while now. Each fall, I spend an inordinate amount of time watching, reading, and talking about a game that's played for entertainment.

This year, I stayed up until the final seconds ticked off. The problem was my wife was to be induced the next morning for our 3rd child. The nervousness and excitement of our 3rd child combined with watching my favorite team play in the NCG was too much. I stayed up and watched us lose and knew that in a few hours I'd be welcoming another family member. I couldn't sleep.

I spent the next week holding baby #3 and playing with the other 2 (both under 4) and never gave the game a second thought. It hurt in the moment to lose, but within seconds of the game ending I was focused fully on what was to come.

Since then I've barely kept up with football. Offseason practice, A-Day, etc... life without it feels freeing. My time is a pie and I just don't have enough resources or desire to dedicate a slice of it to football the way I used to. I'm sure that will change when the kids get older & more interested in football and especially when they're old enough to want to sit down and watch it with me on a Saturday.

But for now, the Clemson game and losing such a momentous/huge game & has actually helped me get over football.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
South Carolina & LSU in 2010.

I've always felt like the 2010 team would mop the floor with any other team that Coach Saban has fielded. I just felt like that team left a lot of plays on the field. The South Carolina game from Garcia playing out of his mind to McElroy staring down receivers and holding onto the ball. And the LSU game, being frustrated at them picking on Milliner because I knew the type of player that he'd eventually be.

I think the AU game, I was more tired of you all here obsessing over Cam (is that whole new board that we created still active?) than I was of Cam himself. I thought we gave that one away. But by that time, that team had already underachieved.
that south carolina game in 2010 was like watching a slow motion trainwreck

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm still pretty broke up about the Clemson game last January. 14-0, chance to be the first 15-0 team and another repeat. Yes, they had outplayed us but with a minute or so to go we took the lead and couldn't hold it. Forget about the defense not making a play. How about a Clemson guy just slipping down? A bad pass or a receiver dropping the ball? But no, none of that happened.

Most of the other losses of the CNS era have had some kind of redemption. Florida in 08 was overcome by Florida in 09 and every Florida game since. The debacles of 2010 as well as the LSU loss in 2011 was overcome by the LSU win in the NC game. The 2012 Texas A&M game was redeemed when we went on to win the NC and then by beating A&M every year since. The barn loss in 2013 has been redeemed every year since. The playoff loss to Ohio State was redeemed by winning it all the next year. The Ole Miss losses have never even registered. LOL, they cheated up a storm and still never even won the west division.

So, other than this past January's loss to Clemson, which we haven't yet had the opportunity to redeem, I'd have to say the 2002 Iron Bowl. The game fRAN tanked. No, I haven't gotten over that pile of horse crap yet. I've totally erased the disappointments of the Mike & Mike eras.
to me, that game seemed to turn on that busted play in the second quarter that led to clemson's first score (i think). til then, we had their o and watson completely stymied and that play seemed to break open the door.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.