What is your worst Football "I'll never get over it" moment?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: What is your worst "I never get over it" moment?

tennessee (2003) where we gave up a 4 and 19 and let them take the game to overtime.

funny enough, for the kick 6 as they were making the announcement that they would put :01 back on the clock, i turned to my cousin (we were watching at his house) and said, "those lucky [insert barn perjorative here] are going to run this back for a td." i just stood there and shook my head as it unfolded.
I remember sitting on the couch and telling my wife dang near the EXACT same thing right before it happened. She said "No way that happens." Well, we all know what happened seconds later... :mad:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
to me, that game seemed to turn on that busted play in the second quarter that led to clemson's first score (i think). til then, we had their o and watson completely stymied and that play seemed to break open the door.
I agree. I think our defense actually had the formula to hold them to a low score and low yardage output. But, without the offense sustaining some drives in order to give them a proper breather, that evaporated.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
that south carolina game in 2010 was like watching a slow motion trainwreck
I remember seeing a former player leave my neighbor's house after that game. He was just a tad upset.

to me, that game seemed to turn on that busted play in the second quarter that led to clemson's first score (i think). til then, we had their o and watson completely stymied and that play seemed to break open the door.
Yep. The busted slip screen inside their own 20 changed the game. We had them pinned deep and no flow to their offense. Next thing you know, they're at the UA 39 and going hurry up. It was the play that gave their offense hope and momentum.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I remember a moment of startled unbelief during one of our games at Baton Rouge. It was Coach Sabin versus the Mad Hatter. LSU had a fourth down and long on their side of the field. They lined up in punt formation.

I told my friend, "The Mad Hatter is going to fake this punt but we will be expecting it and blow it up in his face." Well, guess what? That is correct. Not one coach was expecting a fake punt ...... even though all the stadium, TV audience and myself were expecting it. The Mad Hatter made a first down.

I looked at my friend and said, "how can our coaches NOT know as much as the fans?" To this day I do not understand that.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Notre Dame vs Bama for all the marbles when that whats his name QB completed the pass to that whats his name tight end. Still hurts. Always will.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I remember sitting on the couch and telling my wife dang near the EXACT same thing right before it happened. She said "No way that happens." Well, we all know what happened seconds later... :mad:
I never have seen the "Camback" on TV, but I did on ESPN gamecast with its beautiful lines. But to me the Camback was more unbelievable than the Kick 6. Maybe I'm pessimistic but after the UGA play a few weeks earlier and Nuss taking the ball out of AJ's hands I can saw a blown coverage or a weird bounce of the ball being our undoing. The only surprising thing about the Kick 6 was that they pulled a Devin Hester on us for a walk off win. Personally I would be more at piece with that loss had we lost in OT. But again I saw some auburn miracle coming at the middle of the 4th quarter.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I remember a moment of startled unbelief during one of our games at Baton Rouge. It was Coach Sabin versus the Mad Hatter. LSU had a fourth down and long on their side of the field. They lined up in punt formation.

I told my friend, "The Mad Hatter is going to fake this punt but we will be expecting it and blow it up in his face." Well, guess what? That is correct. Not one coach was expecting a fake punt ...... even though all the stadium, TV audience and myself were expecting it. The Mad Hatter made a first down.

I looked at my friend and said, "how can our coaches NOT know as much as the fans?" To this day I do not understand that.
*Sigh* BCSNCG game again. The fake that flipped the momentum. Everyone saw it coming but Gus. Once they converted that, the comeback was on.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com

In 2011, my Texas Rangers were TWICE one strike away from winning the World Series....we're still waiting.

In 1991, my Braves lost the greatest World Series ever played on the last play in the tenth inning. In fact - to give you heartbreak - the Braves held a 3-2 lead and lost BOTH game six AND game seven in EXTRA innings, something that has never happened before or since. (I still like the Braves but became a Rangers fan when I moved here and went to a bunch of games).
Since we're venturing into the baseball world, the 1986 World Series was like a punch in the gut...the Red Sox were one out away and the ball gets through Buckner's feet, Mets score & win game 6, then go on to win game 7. I was working at what was then South Highlands Hospital in Birmingham and watching it with a friend & fellow Red Sox fan and we just stood there in the ICU stunned. 2004 finally wiped away that hurt, but it really stung for a long time. Buckner was always, and still remains one of my all time favorite players, so I really hated that he sorta got crucified for that one. He did come back and throw out the first at Fenway back a few years ago, it was good to see the warm ovation he received.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The 1983 Penn State game was the worst rape in that stadium not administered by Jerry Sandusky.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
The 73 sugar bowl loss to ND 24-23 was the most painful.

The 71 Nebraska beating was the most humiliating... men vs boys.

17-16 was just surreal. Auburn gained the length of my arm in total yardage that day. And the short punt formations employed in the 4th quarter were simply bizzare. If you youtube it you will see that Gant had no chance of getting either punt off.

My dad was convinced the game had been thrown. I still have no credible explanation for what happened.

Those are my three... heartbreak, humiliation, and weirdness.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I turned off the TV and didn't bother watching, I knew it was coming. I had managed to never see that play for 2 years. Then ESPN caught me off guard on day and for some stupid reason randomly decided to show it during one of our games.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

The bowl losses to ND. Put my head through a wooden door during one of them.
`03 UT was pretty bitter. Should have never happened.
The barn ? Meh. Used to mean more to me than it does now.
I did not put my head through a door, but I had to sit and listen to the ND fight song at the end ....

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama

Too many to count. The positive side of that is, none of the bitter disappointments would hurt so much if Alabama football wasn't any good. We all have to deal with disappointments like this in our everyday lives. I contend that if we didn't know how bad it feels to lose, we wouldn't appreciate the victories and championships as much as we do.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The Auburn kick return was pretty bad from a recent memory standpoint as was the last second scoring by Clemson.

Cam running all over Bama in BDS the second half was pretty dismal too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.