What is your worst Football "I'll never get over it" moment?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: What is your worst "I never get over it" moment?

tennessee (2003) where we gave up a 4 and 19 and let them take the game to overtime.

funny enough, for the kick 6 as they were making the announcement that they would put :01 back on the clock, i turned to my cousin (we were watching at his house) and said, "those lucky [insert barn perjorative here] are going to run this back for a td." i just stood there and shook my head as it unfolded.

Two other thoughts on the Kick Six:

1) While I was HOPING for Van Tiffin part II, in the back of my mind was the Ogletree return in the SECCG a year before. When he got the kick away, I figured "worse case scenario is overtime" - WRONG!!!

2) My "60 Minutes" interview wound up keeping me from actually going TO that game, which I was going to do.

I was off that day, but you have to go back. I had been on my first two-week vacation in six years in October (went to the Arky game that year). The "60 minutes" thing unfolded while I was gone, and there's a rule against more than 14 days consecutive off work. So I cut a deal with my boss to be able to go, but I worked pretty much every weekend for a bit. I worked the LSU weekend but since it was a night game, I saw it. Same with MSU - although I was on the lake bridge here when the Prayer at Jordan-Hare happened. My brother was giving me play by play on the phone and I'm roaring at 70 on the bridge. He says, "He drops back.....he lets fly.........touchdown Auburn." (I scream "what the????"). I figured he was kidding me, and I nearly turned the wheel to the right and right over the dang bridge.

So I was going to go but was utterly exhausted from the hours I'd traded to go to California.

Can you imagine how long that drive home after THAT game would have been??? By myself???

It's the only time I've ever been numb after a game. "What was that?"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Has anyone else noticed how many of these games we're fretting about come down to special teams plays?

Even the 1973 Sugar Bowl - we missed a PAT that cost us a tie. I doubt Clements throws that ball in a tie game.

1972 Iron Bowl - kicking play

2013 Iron Bowl - kicking play

In no particular order, the ten most painful losses I've endured:

1980 Miss State
1986 LSU
1995 Arkansas
1997 Auburn
2000 USM (Gray mentioned this one)
2003 Vols
2010 Auburn
2011 LSU
2013 Auburn
2014 Ohio St

Really - Buckeyes were worse than Clemson even though the stakes were not quite the same. We blew a 21-6 lead in a game where we were owning them and just....something.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
FTR - I lived in Germany and only saw the first half of 1983 Penn St-Alabama.

Imagine my shock the next morning....I still recall running into a fellow Tide fan (Robert S), who in painful detail informed me what happened in the game. (I also remembered he dated a REALLY hawt girl). The only thing he got wrong was he said it was Joey Jones who caught the non-TD.

Years later when I was trading games on the Net, I spoke to a guy in Maryland who as a collector and he had never seen that game. He watched it - and said it was the most ridiculous call he'd ever seen.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Has anyone else noticed how many of these games we're fretting about come down to special teams plays?

Even the 1973 Sugar Bowl - we missed a PAT that cost us a tie. I doubt Clements throws that ball in a tie game.

1972 Iron Bowl - kicking play

2013 Iron Bowl - kicking play

In no particular order, the ten most painful losses I've endured:

1980 Miss State
1986 LSU
1995 Arkansas
1997 Auburn
2000 USM (Gray mentioned this one)
2003 Vols
2010 Auburn
2011 LSU
2013 Auburn
2014 Ohio St

Really - Buckeyes were worse than Clemson even though the stakes were not quite the same. We blew a 21-6 lead in a game where we were owning them and just....something.
I was at eight of those.

The great privilege of being in attendance at many more memorable wins does come at a price.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

The 2011 LSU game was definitely brutal to endure when I think back to the memory of watching it. The 4 missed FG's were just nausea inducing. The loss honestly probably cost Trent the Heisman too.

But the rematch erased all those bad feelings so it's not a game that haunts me or one to not get over. If we had never had the chance for a rematch though, I'm sure it would be #1 on my list because we were obviously better but couldn't get out of our own way the 1st time....and most of the 2nd time...lol. Man did I erupt into celebration when Trent finally busted off that dagger TD in the 4th Qtr of the BCSNCG.

Last edited:

vestamark01

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2015

I was at eight of those.

The great privilege of being in attendance at many more memorable wins does come at a price.
Isn't that the truth!

2010 Aub game will likely always be the most painful game I ever attended. Being in the Rose Bowl for the 2000 UCLA game was most humiliating.
From another angle:
Least favorite win would be 1999 LSU. We were twice the team they were but let them hang around until final seconds of the game. Lost three players for the season that game including two on the final defensive stand. Marvin Constant never played anther meaningful down. Kenny Smith and Canary Knight were the other two starters.
Worst thing of it was that last play never should've mattered. We were 30 points better than that LSU team but only won by 6. I'll forever cringe at the thought of that game.

Funny how I relive the difficult games in my mind more often than the many joyous moments. It usually takes me getting into a conversation with a buddy to remember the great games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Isn't that the truth!

2010 Aub game will likely always be the most painful game I ever attended.
I can buy this.

My Eugene, Oregon buddy (a Huskies fan originally from northern Washington) and I talked on the phone most every day back then. Before the season, he projected we would lose TWO games, even though he thought we were the best team in the SEC, and he projected we would lose to SCAR and Auburn. His reasoning was: no team of college kids can play that many rested foes without it taking a serious toll. He would have picked us to lose to LSU, but it was following OUR off week.

So the season unfolds. We get all ready for the Auburn game, and he calls me going into halftime saying, "Man, you guys are the best team in the country, but you got hosed on the schedule." I said, "Something don't feel right about this - we left way too many points on the board and we ought to be up about 42-0."

A guy I later bought a ticket from said he was at that game and at halftime you could literally FEEL the atmosphere go from party to uneasy.

And then Cam hit that bomb to make it a manageable deficit.

Guy called back when it was over and said, "Man, you were right."

I've watched the 2013 game again - but I don't know that I'll ever watch that 2010 IB.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 1966 season when the AP voters robbed the Tide of their three-peat and gave the title to Notre Dame. I wasn't alive for that, but it bugs me each time I go back and read how that went down.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I'd say it was the 2010 and 2013 games v Auburn that bothers me the most in the Saban era (and of course the most recent loss to Clemson is up there too). I don't ever like it when we lose to Auburn, in any sport, but those 2 games were especially hard to deal with, since I have several Auburn friends who kidded me about it.

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England

The Clemson loss this season was the most difficult loss I've experienced.

From the emotion when JH scored to that feeling of inevitability when Watson got the ball with 2min left.

To say I took it badly was an understatement.. I didn't eat for about 5 days after the game and called in sick at work for the whole week.

My wife still jokes that if I need to lose weight she just shows me a replay of the game..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

The Clemson loss this season was the most difficult loss I've experienced.

From the emotion when JH scored to that feeling of inevitability when Watson got the ball with 2min left.

To say I took it badly was an understatement.. I didn't eat for about 5 days after the game and called in sick at work for the whole week.

My wife still jokes that if I need to lose weight she just shows me a replay of the game..
Yup..The life of a true Bama Fan..Been there & done that cause we don't take well to losing almost to the point it become personal to us..LOL

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I can buy this.

My Eugene, Oregon buddy (a Huskies fan originally from northern Washington) and I talked on the phone most every day back then. Before the season, he projected we would lose TWO games, even though he thought we were the best team in the SEC, and he projected we would lose to SCAR and Auburn. His reasoning was: no team of college kids can play that many rested foes without it taking a serious toll. He would have picked us to lose to LSU, but it was following OUR off week.

So the season unfolds. We get all ready for the Auburn game, and he calls me going into halftime saying, "Man, you guys are the best team in the country, but you got hosed on the schedule." I said, "Something don't feel right about this - we left way too many points on the board and we ought to be up about 42-0."

A guy I later bought a ticket from said he was at that game and at halftime you could literally FEEL the atmosphere go from party to uneasy.

And then Cam hit that bomb to make it a manageable deficit.

Guy called back when it was over and said, "Man, you were right."

I've watched the 2013 game again - but I don't know that I'll ever watch that 2010 IB.
My Aubie BIL always called me when they were up at halftime or just went ahead. Of course, he knew I wasn't going to answer... :D

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

Personally - for me would be when my sister was murdered in 1986.

As for a Bama moment? - When the Bear came home in '58 and got us back to the top in '61, never forget that team!
For those that don't know, that team gave up a total of 25 pts. in 11 games...

That was also a season, (especially the first half), it seemed like the polls where trying to keep Bama from getting to #1, every time I picked up the Tuesday 'Mobile Register' paper I was mad as HECK, until after the Ga. Tech game! Enrolled at the Capstone that year!...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I think watching Coach Bryant coach his last game in the Liberty Bowl against Illinois knowing that would be it for him as our coach. Up until that time, he was the only Bama football coach of my lifetime. I have a 4th grade daughter who will probably feel the same when CNS steps aside.

BoSox Tider

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2011

82 Iron Bowl ("Bo Over the Top"). Coach Bryant's last regular season game. There had been a lot of speculation about his health and possible retirement, and even though he didn't announce it for another couple weeks, somehow I knew it would be his last Iron Bowl. I really wanted Bama to win his last game against the Barn, which would have rounded out the streak at 10. It didn't happen, and of course 2 months later he was gone.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

The Southern Miss game in '82. Seeing fans from another team hanging around in the stands and celebrating after the game in BDS. I had never witnessed that prior to that day. That ended a 57 game wining streak in BDS. You could feel that it was the end of the road for coach Bryant that afternoon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.