What is your worst Football "I'll never get over it" moment?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
As a followup to Coach Saban's interview where he gave his worst losses which he said he will never get over, I thought it might be interesting to learn what you all feel is the loss that you guys have the toughest time dealing with. Was it the Clemson loss, Kick Six, something else? For me it was the Kick Six. While the Clemson loss was tough I did feel we might lose when Clemson got the ball with 2 minutes to play. The Kick Six was totally unexpected and oh my, what could have been had we won that game.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: What is your worst "I never get over it" moment?

tennessee (2003) where we gave up a 4 and 19 and let them take the game to overtime.

funny enough, for the kick 6 as they were making the announcement that they would put :01 back on the clock, i turned to my cousin (we were watching at his house) and said, "those lucky [insert barn perjorative here] are going to run this back for a td." i just stood there and shook my head as it unfolded.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

As a followup to Coach Saban's interview where he gave his worst losses which he said he will never get over, I thought it might be interesting to learn what you all feel is the loss that you guys have the toughest time dealing with. Was it the Clemson loss, Kick Six, something else? For me it was the Kick Six. While the Clemson loss was tough I did feel we might lose when Clemson got the ball with 2 minutes to play. The Kick Six was totally unexpected and oh my, what could have been had we won that game.
My never get over it moments have absolutely nothing to do with a game that I watch for entertainment.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

In the context of football, it would have to be Prothro's injury. It was so pointless, nothing to be gained from the play, nothing to be gained from leaving him in there, and it didn't just ruin Prothro's career, it ruined Alabama's offense that year (and probably their chance of getting Tebow). I just don't care as much about Auburn as some people do, I suppose.

While I do have to express slight disagreement with dayhiker's sentiment (I do actually care about Alabama football, it's not just entertainment like watching a movie), there certainly are far more important things in life and sports moments wouldn't crack the top ten.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

1972 Punt Bama Punt. A game that the Barn was never really in. Alabama leading 16-0 in the 4th. A Gardner Jett FG made it 16-3 and you know the rest.

I was 12 years old. Can still remember John Forney's call....

Get queasy just thinking about it.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The bowl losses to ND. Put my head through a wooden door during one of them.
`03 UT was pretty bitter. Should have never happened.
The barn ? Meh. Used to mean more to me than it does now.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

My never get over it moments have absolutely nothing to do with a game that I watch for entertainment.
My first thought was "when my Dad died" but I didn't want to bring down the mood......

I get over every loss -- sometimes it takes more than 24 hours.

vestamark01

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 27, 2015

tennessee (2003) where we gave up a 4 and 19 and let them take the game to overtime.

funny enough, for the kick 6 as they were making the announcement that they would put :01 back on the clock, i turned to my cousin (we were watching at his house) and said, "those lucky [insert barn perjorative here] are going to run this back for a td." i just stood there and shook my head as it unfolded.
To expand on the 03 Tennessee game. Recall we had a 1st and 2 which we couldn't convert and had to punt. Likely could have run the clock out with that first down. Very painfull game especially on the heels of the Arkansas meltdown in the previous home game. Tough season all around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

In the context of football, it would have to be Prothro's injury. It was so pointless, nothing to be gained from the play, nothing to be gained from leaving him in there, and it didn't just ruin Prothro's career, it ruined Alabama's offense that year (and probably their chance of getting Tebow). I just don't care as much about Auburn as some people do, I suppose.

While I do have to express slight disagreement with dayhiker's sentiment (I do actually care about Alabama football, it's not just entertainment like watching a movie), there certainly are far more important things in life and sports moments wouldn't crack the top ten.
Yeah, the Prothro injury was "gut kicking" .... my Mom didn't watch the rest of the game. I understood how she felt.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com

1972 Iron Bowl...I was 10 years old and my cousin (AU fan, 4 years older than me) kept poor mouthing AU all game long as we listened on the radio. He would occasionally sneak over and change the station to the AU broadcast. When the game was over he was insufferable. Absolutely awful. Most definitely influenced my opinion of AU.

Distant second would be 1986 LSU game. 2 fumbles as Bobby Humphrey was about to cross the goal line and we lost them both, either TD would have been the difference in the game.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: What is your worst "I'll never get over it" moment?

Heavens, y'all. The OP was asking in the context of football. Of course other stuff is more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Probably cliche but the Kick-Six. I was on a flight back after watching it in an airport terminal and I was numb the whole flight. Funnily enough I also saw Kenyan Drake's first major injury against Ole Miss in 2014 in an airport terminal. (Superstition initiated)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Kick six. I know that's been said already but I've never felt so crushed from a loss in any sport. I expected the Clemson loss based on how we played against washington and I will never be that broken up about losing to a really good football team like Ohio State. But when the Kick Six happened I literally fell to my knees. As I fell my glasses fell off my face and my sisters dog chewed them all up. Brand new glasses destroyed and an Aubrun team we were better than beating us on one of the dumbest plays ever.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

The 21-0 loss to USM at Legion Field in 2000. We never even came close to scoring. The staff had no idea what they were doing, the players had no idea what or where they were supposed to be. It was the only time I actually saw an Alabama quit and the only time I have seen the team booed as they entered the tunnel in the north end zone. A low point in a crappy season.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

The 21-0 loss to USM at Legion Field in 2000. We never even came close to scoring. The staff had no idea what they were doing, the players had no idea what or where they were supposed to be. It was the only time I actually saw an Alabama quit and the only time I have seen the team booed as they entered the tunnel in the north end zone. A low point in a crappy season.
Ditto. A low point to start a crappy decade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.