Game Thread: 2017 A-Day Game

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The early enrollees have made our Crown Jewel breakdown almost null & void. LOL

But I will say this, as GREAT as Jerry Jeudy looked Saturday (and he would have been by far my #1 in our Crown Jewel list had we had one), Henry Ruggs (who's not on campus yet) has the same level potential (if not greater) than Jeudy.
Agreed on Ruggs and you can't sleep on Devonta Smith a 5* from Louisiana. All three are similar in style and size.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agreed on Ruggs and you can't sleep on Devonta Smith a 5* from Louisiana. All three are similar in style and size.
Don't forget Shavers. If you want to talk about pure potential that kid has a ton of it. 6'6" with 4.4 speed? sign me up

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have one tiny misgiving. Daboll is running the Perkins/Weis/McDaniels offense, and it's a fine one. However, we have two fine dual-threat QBs. The Patriots' offense is anything but DT QB-friendly. I wouldn't have expected any read-option plays yesterday, with the one-hand tag rule in play, but I'd hate to see that disappear from the playbook and the QB only run on busted plays. As tired as I got of Kiff's offense, if Daboll is long-term, maybe we'd need to redirect our QB recruiting towards Brady types, even though Saban has said DT is the direction of the future. I haven't rewatched yet and I do think I remember a couple of Hurts plays which may have been designed runs. At any rate, it's going to be interesting watching...
I'm not worried about not seeing RPOs Saturday. Saban commented a few times during camp he wanted Jalen working from the pocket and not running even though those plays remain in the playbook.

We might not run them as much as we did last year, but I have the feeling Locks is going to help Daboll figure out the best times to run them and make teams pay for getting lazy. Then, teams have to be cautious for the select times we call a RPO.

Really excited about the return game, too. If Marks stays at KR or PR, things will be fun. That kid can fly. Then again, Ruggs might end up back there once he's on campus.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
A few sites and sounds from A-Day (I hope it is okay to post this here).

I took my son to A-Day, it was his first ever trip to BDS! I honestly didn't even see much of the game, spent more time watching my son and walking around with him. We had a blast and I thought I'd share a few pictures and videos from the day. My son was amazed at the size of the stadium, honestly, it still amazes me.

This pic if from the North endzone upper deck, he was in the middle of yelling Roll Tide!

The VERY top of the north endzone upper deck. Holy crap was that a lot of steps, he ran up no problem, I almost died.

The two of us at the goalpost. His grandmother took this one, that is why it is crooked (I guess she was going for that artistic look).

Panoramic at the start of the 3rd quarter.

Now a few videos:

He scores!! Just watch how he eludes all those tacklers, a star in the making (he'll be a very short star).

The targeting play, from my phone, field level in front of the band.

"Yea Alabama!" right after the end of the game!

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this stuff here.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not worried about not seeing RPOs Saturday. Saban commented a few times during camp he wanted Jalen working from the pocket and not running even though those plays remain in the playbook.

We might not run them as much as we did last year, but I have the feeling Locks is going to help Daboll figure out the best times to run them and make teams pay for getting lazy. Then, teams have to be cautious for the select times we call a RPO.

Really excited about the return game, too. If Marks stays at KR or PR, things will be fun. That kid can fly. Then again, Ruggs might end up back there once he's on campus.
I tried to indicate that it wasn't keeping me up nights. :) However, I do think OCs tend to go back to the plays they know and that they know work in clutches. The RPO and the read option are not those plays for Daboll. As I said, we will see...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, Jalen is a bigger stronger version of Nick Marshall.
I think he may already be better, but I see the comparison...especially comparing their passing abilities. I think JH is a much powerful runner though.

Don't forget Shavers. If you want to talk about pure potential that kid has a ton of it. 6'6" with 4.4 speed? sign me up
That's an embarressment of riches!!!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I maybe wroing, because I haven't watched any videos of Young passing in a long time. But I think Tua's release is waaaay quicker than Youngs. The moment I watched Tua throw the ball his lightning fast release for a split second made me think of Marino's release. A blur.
His release is like a flick...and the ball gets out there like he launched it off a canon. We haven't had anyone with an arm like his in my memory. We've had some strong arms but they usually had a slow release. We've had some quick release guys but they usually just had adequate velocity. This is the first one that seemingly has the "blessed" prototypical arm.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
His release is like a flick...and the ball gets out there like he launched it off a canon. We haven't had anyone with an arm like his in my memory. We've had some strong arms but they usually had a slow release. We've had some quick release guys but they usually just had adequate velocity. This is the first one that seemingly has the "blessed" prototypical arm.
And to add, not only the canon, but then the knowledge and ability to know when to throw it with touch too. It's those characteristics, along with his ability to quickly read the defense, that I think will give him a shot at the NFL.

I hope when that happens he's coming off a couple of NCs at Bama.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I really thought that Simmons was a surprise and stood out . I didn't know much about him but he really displayed good hands and athleticsm.
Agreed on Simmons.

Also, Christian Miller coming off the edge is going to have a big year, along with Terrell Hall.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Agreed on Simmons.

Also, Christian Miller coming off the edge is going to have a big year, along with Terrell Hall.
I'm curious if Evans is going to steal some of the pass rush opportunities from the other edge guys. I think he has a real chance to have an incredible season at ILB and pass rushing on passing downs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm curious if Evans is going to steal some of the pass rush opportunities from the other edge guys. I think he has a real chance to have an incredible season at ILB and pass rushing on passing downs.
Evans will definitely get some opportunities. While Williams and Anderson were amazing off the edge, these three may be just as good (Jennings makes four).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Evans will definitely get some opportunities. While Williams and Anderson were amazing off the edge, these three may be just as good (Jennings makes four).
I would suspect we`ll have the capability to send several at once, from several angles, depending on alignments and situations. It could possibly be an unhealthy environment in opposing backfields. We can sure hope!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I would suspect we`ll have the capability to send several at once, from several angles, depending on alignments and situations. It could possibly be an unhealthy environment in opposing backfields. We can sure hope!
We ran a package a few times last year - more against clemson than anyone - where we only had one true DL in the game, and then 4 LBs. Most of the time, one would drop, three would rush. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us start running that with a higher frequency when we know the other guys are going to be passing. Have hand/buggs/payne/davis in a gap technique to demand a double team on one side and then decide where to create an overload with the others.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us use more of the nickel blitz like we did with Arenas. Brown is super quick and has the mass to beat a block.

Pruitt must have happy dreams about how he can put all these parts together...

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We ran a package a few times last year - more against clemson than anyone - where we only had one true DL in the game, and then 4 LBs. Most of the time, one would drop, three would rush. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us start running that with a higher frequency when we know the other guys are going to be passing. Have hand/buggs/lake/davis in a gap technique to demand a double team on one side and then decide where to create an overload with the others.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see us use more of the nickel blitz like we did with Arenas. Brown is super quick and has the mass to beat a block.

Pruitt must have happy dreams about how he can put all these parts together...
Lake?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.