Looking to next year...

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, from reading things here and on other sites it appears that Goff 'lost' these guys from the get go, or wanted to lose them. If we are to improve at all it won't be with these players, since obviously he wants no part of them and they are not able to play for him. As cuda says, these mental errors are not a sign that these are not good ballplayers, but a sign that they are not focused for whatever reason. That being said, it's the pitching that is killing us and that will take time to rebuild.

So what? How many years are we looking at to get us back to where we were under Mitch/Dax/Andy? That's the sickening part, what and how long it will take to get us back to 15-15 in the SEC? Two years? Three years? Does anyone think Goff will be here if we have a second historically bad season under him? I damn sure don't.

I just don't know what to think. This has been worse than I ever imagined it could be.

rtr
To me, we were only an average offense away from being pretty solid the last few years. I am a huge Dax fan. I would bring him back in a heartbeat. when he coached hitting, we were above average, when he did pitching, we were elite. The guy is just good. BRING HIM BACK!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Check this quote from Goff after the embarrassment last night.

That's the type quote a coach gives at the beginning of the season, not in April. There's been no progression with this team, so the comments fall back at Goff.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Check this quote from Goff after the embarrassment last night.

That's the type quote a coach gives at the beginning of the season, not in April. There's been no progression with this team, so the comments fall back at Goff.
Agreed. It is in a tailspin at this point. The sooner this season is over with, the better.

BigHSVTider

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 18, 2009
To me, we were only an average offense away from being pretty solid the last few years. I am a huge Dax fan. I would bring him back in a heartbeat. when he coached hitting, we were above average, when he did pitching, we were elite. The guy is just good. BRING HIM BACK!

Agree with this. Dax was hard nosed and made his players desire/expect to be the best in each competitive situation of the game. He would be a good coach for sure to bring back.

**PS: The Trousdale kid needs to hit more. He has one of those swings that does not come around often. He just needs reps and confidence from his coaches.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, if we go in a different direction I say look at these guys:

Dax Norris (we all should know who he is)
Dan McDonnell (Lousiville)
Erik Bakich (Michigan)
Jay Johnson (Arizona (longshot at best on that one imo!))

These are just a few I would look at.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Erik Bakich (Michigan)

I'd go after Jay Johnson. He has a relationship with Byrne AND knows exactly the pros / cons of both jobs and therefore, could give us a shot.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Dax. I saw some stuff he did recruiting players in the DFW area and it was not how you'd want your kid treated. Now, I will be the first to admit I only know 1 side of the story, AND Mitch could've been behind the issues.

I think I'd try and get Johnson, Cohen out of the AD chair at MSU, or McDonnell from Louisville.

bamaguy333

Feb 26, 2017

Erik Bakich (Michigan)

Well, McDonald's salary is $1 million yr. He's not leaving a conference he can win in. Johnson in league he can win in and has. Dax has no head coaching experience, IMO, an average asst coach/ recruitor. Administration was going to keep Gaspard, but assistants were gone regardless. That is not happening. Hitting was good at the time he was said, hitting coach, because most scholarship money went in that area and it was prior to the bat change. As a head coach, there's more than "just coaching". He moved to pitching, after Bunn had set that up, and most scholarship money went into pitching during Dax's pitching stint which means better personnel. Plus, Kilcrease was doing most adjustments. For all the football fans that think you can win @ UA at the top level with less scholarships than all other SEC programs are living in a dream world. Do you remember how well, not, UA football did with the scholarship restrictions by NCAA? UA out of state cost $41,816 v SouthAL $27,284. Then there's Samford, private, so may have some variables, not sure. Scholarships really do matter when you compare UA'a cost of out of state tuition to those SEC schools that waive out of state tuition, not many families can afford that. Now we have 11.7 with a staff that is over their head. I think fans will be surprised at the number of players that will be drafted this year. This team minus only 3 , that were significant, won 32 games and went 15-15 in conference. Wells and Gaspard both left with winning records and no RPI issues. I hope this is not UT or AU when Delmonico and Baird left, with many years in recovery. Tennessee still has not recovered. 2017-18 class was going to be really good, prior staff, now most have decommitted and are going to other SEC schools. I don't see a bunch of JUCO players coming into SEC and lighting things up. It usually is a yr. before they adjust to the speed and athleticism of D1. In the SEC, your two strike approach cannot be to get hit by a pitch. First, if player doesn't make effort to get out of way, umpire will not award base. Most SEC catchers are too good to steal on as is shown by our numbers. Well, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. He will get another yr because of contract $ and yrs.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, McDonald's salary is $1 million yr. He's not leaving a conference he can win in. Johnson in league he can win in and has. Dax has no head coaching experience, IMO, an average asst coach/ recruitor. Administration was going to keep Gaspard, but assistants were gone regardless. That is not happening. Hitting was good at the time he was said, hitting coach, because most scholarship money went in that area and it was prior to the bat change. As a head coach, there's more than "just coaching". He moved to pitching, after Bunn had set that up, and most scholarship money went into pitching during Dax's pitching stint which means better personnel. Plus, Kilcrease was doing most adjustments. For all the football fans that think you can win @ UA at the top level with less scholarships than all other SEC programs are living in a dream world. Do you remember how well, not, UA football did with the scholarship restrictions by NCAA? UA out of state cost $41,816 v SouthAL $27,284. Then there's Samford, private, so may have some variables, not sure. Scholarships really do matter when you compare UA'a cost of out of state tuition to those SEC schools that waive out of state tuition, not many families can afford that. Now we have 11.7 with a staff that is over their head. I think fans will be surprised at the number of players that will be drafted this year. This team minus only 3 , that were significant, won 32 games and went 15-15 in conference. Wells and Gaspard both left with winning records and no RPI issues. I hope this is not UT or AU when Delmonico and Baird left, with many years in recovery. Tennessee still has not recovered. 2017-18 class was going to be really good, prior staff, now most have decommitted and are going to other SEC schools. I don't see a bunch of JUCO players coming into SEC and lighting things up. It usually is a yr. before they adjust to the speed and athleticism of D1. In the SEC, your two strike approach cannot be to get hit by a pitch. First, if player doesn't make effort to get out of way, umpire will not award base. Most SEC catchers are too good to steal on as is shown by our numbers. Well, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. He will get another yr because of contract $ and yrs.
Not so sure I agree with you on Dax. Bunn wasn't exactly here all that long. The staff under Dax was good for years. Not sure he learned that much from him in that time. Being a former catcher I think had its advantages for him. Offensively, we were good there too. We will have to agree to disagree on him, I personally like him, and have never met him. I am not saying if I was hiring, that I would automatically hire him, but he would be interviewed!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Out of all the years I watched or coached baseball, the most fun years was when both my Nephews played t-ball. That is the BEST source of enjoyment and laughs you can get!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.