Looking to next year...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I expect Rooney will take a head job somewhere, and I expect a lot of new faces on the roster.
Whether he gets a head job or not, Rooney is gone. If Goff stays it is with a brand new staff. I believe it is about 70/30 Goff goes. Byrne is well aware of the toxic environment and is intimately involved...... I'd expect a lot of new faces no matter the coaching situation several have already decided to transfer/leave. It is going to take a couple of years to clean up the Goff mess. The fact recruits are very limited in contact with current players should say something to recruits and local HS coaches.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Try 2020. It's going to be a rough two seasons being in the cellar. Things should turn around by 2020. Here's the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Play Ball!

1st Team
Oct 11, 2001
Birmingham
I understand there are personality conflicts but much of the blame has to go to the previous head coach who let it go down this far, talent wise. There are only 3-4 SEC caliber players on that team, ok maybe 6. When opposing pitching coaches tell their pitchers to throw what they want to, that should tell you something. Gaspard made the comment that he didn't have the energy to fix what needed to be done. That should tell you a lot.
This is the first real Head coaching change since '95. I don't think we're used to dealing with it. So I feel like we may need to give Goff a chance, if only another year or two. It can't get much lower.
But I'll take whatever the powers that be want to do. We'll continue to support.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I understand there are personality conflicts but much of the blame has to go to the previous head coach who let it go down this far, talent wise. There are only 3-4 SEC caliber players on that team, ok maybe 6. When opposing pitching coaches tell their pitchers to throw what they want to, that should tell you something. Gaspard made the comment that he didn't have the energy to fix what needed to be done. That should tell you a lot.
This is the first real Head coaching change since '95. I don't think we're used to dealing with it. So I feel like we may need to give Goff a chance, if only another year or two. It can't get much lower.
But I'll take whatever the powers that be want to do. We'll continue to support.
I think we have more talent than some believe. I don't follow recruiting that closely but of the several kids I know or my family knows well on the team, these kids were offered big money from aTm, Texas Tech, Miss St and came to BAMA in several cases for less $$$. I think development under Gaspard was a big issue and now the change to Goff hasn't helped/worked.

IMO, a change has to be made b/c of toxic nature of Goff. Whoever comes in is going to have to be a teacher, a person who can build relationships with the HS coaches in South and someone who can market the program to the fans.

On a side note, there is now a fire Goof twitter and website.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I understand the frustration, we all want our team to be competitive and to win, and to win now; however, things like the above are not going to help the situation at all and neither does promoting them here.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...things like the above are not going to help the situation at all and neither does promoting them here.
Don't think WTT was "promoting" either, just accumulating more evidence that a colossal mistake seems to have been made in putting this .024-carat diamond mountebank in a 'Bama uniform in the first place.

I mean, if he were "promoting" Goof-ball he could've pointed folks to www.goofball.c-m. Or you know, conjectured that the pieces were falling in place perfectly (in other words, falling apart) at the big ballpark in the Bronx for Goof-ball to be succeeded next year in Tuscaloosa by Joe the chimp Girardi...

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If we had the staffs we have had the last few years this team would be just fine. They'd make a regional, most likely. The hitting is certainly there, but needing five starting pitchers and having two is killing us, plus, wherever these mental errors are coming from, they were not there under Mitch, not at this level.

Lord, I never thought anything would make me miss Mitch Gaspard, but yeah, I miss the days of at least winning a series every now and then. I keep telling myself it is only college baseball, but geez.

rtr

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
My opinion, it is wishful thinking by some. I just don't see it happening, but then again, we have a new AD who is allegedly a baseball guy and we have regressed seriously in the W/L department. Some think it will absolutely happen but I am not sold yet, it is tough to fire a coach after only 1 year unless they do something that warrants it. Granted what has been mentioned on here as to what Goff has done could potentially do it, time will tell.

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
As a head coach in Division 1 and more importantly the SEC. Greg Goof couldn't even ride to the ballpark in the same car as Mitch Gaspard. Not even close. Gaspard will be a Head Coach again in a power conference. Goof may never get another chance after this debacle.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My opinion, it is wishful thinking by some. I just don't see it happening, but then again, we have a new AD who is allegedly a baseball guy and we have regressed seriously in the W/L department. Some think it will absolutely happen but I am not sold yet, it is tough to fire a coach after only 1 year unless they do something that warrants it. Granted what has been mentioned on here as to what Goff has done could potentially do it, time will tell.
I'm new to following the Tide in baseball. What has he done that could warrant termination?

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I new to following the Tide in baseball. What has he done that could warrant termination?
Several things come to mind:

1. Treatment of players
2. He has been called out by compliance multiple times for recruiting.
3. Details regarding an injured player or two

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Several things come to mind:

1. Treatment of players
2. He has been called out by compliance multiple times for recruiting.
3. Details regarding an injured player or two
Bamabuzzard, I was referring to what WTT said above. I have 0 inside info on the program and typically refer to fellow fans on tidefans for info! I can say that many people were not exactly thrilled with the hire in the first place. Many feel that we could have gotten a top tier coach. I don't dispute that since we were breaking in a 42+ million dollar ballpark, why not get a coach to go with it? It does appear to me we were trying to get an up and coming coach when we could have gotten an established coach from a power conference.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I know nothing whatsoever about the guy, but we talked about the coach at Dallas Baptist and other good coaches and I remember Goff's name just coming out of nowhere.

I mean, don't you go talk to the guy at an Oregon State and start there?

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I know nothing whatsoever about the guy, but we talked about the coach at Dallas Baptist and other good coaches and I remember Goff's name just coming out of nowhere.

I mean, don't you go talk to the guy at an Oregon State and start there?

Rtr
DBU has a heck of a coach. However, he is likely not a fit at most programs. He is a devout Christian and is at home at DBU. He is not in this for $$$$$. If he were, he would be at Texas. People who know him have said he can not coach at a power 5 school. He knows it and doesn't deny it or hide it.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yeah, I remember. Same thing with the guy at ECU, who is said to be a lifer at that school. The guy at Tulane waited for and got Texas. But then Goff popped up.

Anyone following this Jax State game? My gosh, but it is like our pitchers are throwing batting practice.

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Didn't start a game thread but, yeah it's brutal! About to turn it off as I have to be on a client site at 4:00AM. Love the 3AM wake up call!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, we lost, to yet another in-sate team: 11-8.

Wonder how these teams manage to be competitive, with the lack of a state lottery?

Oh, I know...............they don't play Goofball!

(They just play against Goofball. :biggrin2:)

As bad as Gasper the Post-season Ghost was, they managed to win these games, and a fair number of SEC games.

What has changed?

Well, they still can't bunt, and can't seem to score runs, when things are looking right for a big inning, but the errors, WPs, and PBs...................that is what kills us.

I am certainly no sports psychologist, but my layman's guess is we make these bonehead mistakes, at the worst possible time, because our kids are playing too tight. If you expect to get yelled at and constantly berated, seems to follow you are going to be on eggshells, and make that mental error when it hurts the most.

Which pretty much sums up Goofball.

Tell me where I am wrong, because I am open to listening. Maybe someone can explain this mess, and how it is going to get better.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, from reading things here and on other sites it appears that Goff 'lost' these guys from the get go, or wanted to lose them. If we are to improve at all it won't be with these players, since obviously he wants no part of them and they are not able to play for him. As cuda says, these mental errors are not a sign that these are not good ballplayers, but a sign that they are not focused for whatever reason. That being said, it's the pitching that is killing us and that will take time to rebuild.

So what? How many years are we looking at to get us back to where we were under Mitch/Dax/Andy? That's the sickening part, what and how long it will take to get us back to 15-15 in the SEC? Two years? Three years? Does anyone think Goff will be here if we have a second historically bad season under him? I damn sure don't.

I just don't know what to think. This has been worse than I ever imagined it could be.

rtr

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.