Should Tua be redshirted?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We should find out next month who will be attending media day in July. I'm thinking Jalen will be one of them as to send message that he is the QB of the team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sure looks like Saban told us today the answer to this question. Also, Saban made it clear we have a returning starter, so he's not saying Tua could beat Jalen out for the job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sure looks like Saban told us today the answer to this question. Also, Saban made it clear we have a returning starter, so he's not saying Tua could beat Jalen out for the job.

Don't know if it was speculation or rumor that Tua would have a "package" of plays he'd be running in games this year. I guess the new question now is "when" and "how much?"

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I know coach likes to stick with one guy, but I know I'm not the only one that gets a sick feeling when we have a game well in hand and still have our starting QB in. Hopefully, we can get up and give a lot of people some playing time.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I'm not so sure Saban was that clear. his big caveat was "If we feel like he can play winning football..." To me that's not a definitive answer on if he will play, but it certainly does leave a window open that he will.

I've been firmly in the camp that if Tua is the #2, that we should find a way for him to get some game reps so that if he's needed due to injury and we are making a run at the championship, that he's not thrown into the fire having had no meaningful game reps. Hopefully Tua makes it clear enough to the staff that he can play winning ball...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not so sure Saban was that clear. his big caveat was "If we feel like he can play winning football..." To me that's not a definitive answer on if he will play, but it certainly does leave a window open that he will.

I've been firmly in the camp that if Tua is the #2, that we should find a way for him to get some game reps so that if he's needed due to injury and we are making a run at the championship, that he's not thrown into the fire having had no meaningful game reps. Hopefully Tua makes it clear enough to the staff that he can play winning ball...
It certainly doesn't sound like he's talking about mop up snaps. But, it's hard to imagine TT entering the game against FSU when the game is still on the line (assuming JH had been productive and moved the offense).

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Don't know if it was speculation or rumor that Tua would have a "package" of plays he'd be running in games this year. I guess the new question now is "when" and "how much?"
Hopefully he can play most/all of the 4th qtr in the non-conferance matchups and maybe even the 3rd qtr if the game is blowout city. For SEC games I hope we can get him in for a few series here and there even when the game is fairly close.....or maybe for a set few package plays to ease him into pressure situations.

He's QB2 so we need to have him ready just in case of emergency. Jalen was amazing as a TF last year but he basically played under fire with lots of reps from the get go. If Tua had to come in later on as a TF with no meaningful playing time against SEC defenses in mid-season form it could be very very bad.

I'm sure CNS is aware of all the variables and has a plan. Hopefully Tua gets to play just for experience and not because of a disaster of some sorts.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It certainly doesn't sound like he's talking about mop up snaps. But, it's hard to imagine TT entering the game against FSU when the game is still on the line (assuming JH had been productive and moved the offense).
IMO, the only way that Tua plays against FSU is if the game is a blow out Alabama win. Even if Jalen plays horribly, Saban leaves him in. Saban isn't Spurrier. He has never pulled an established starter who was in the midst of a bad game to my knowledge.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You do realize that Spring, Summer and fall camp.... I'm saying spring camp is just a spring camp... Really don't mean anything. How many time we've heard someone did extremely well in spring camp only to struggle in the fall camp?
I know how it works but I know what I saw too. FWIW, I was impressed with Mac but to loosely quote Herbstreit, "Mac Jones looked like a true freshman."

Also, the quote at the top is about playing Tua, not Jones. I didn't say it. CNS did.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Another thing about Saban's comments: he seems pretty vocal in stating that it is up to the offense to be explosive this year, at least until the defense can get settled in their roles. I don't think we can afford to play it safe with the QB because our chance at having a successful season hinge on applying pressure with the offense.

My bet is Tua gets a ton of snaps against Fresno State assuming we don't flub around the field all afternoon. We just can't afford not to play Tua judging Saban's full comments today. This team is about the offense, we have a dual-threat starting QB, we need a 2nd string QB we can trust to come in and execute most of the offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it's pretty impressive that CNS even talked about this. Tells me he knows Tua is not the average type of true freshman.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I know how it works but I know what I saw too. FWIW, I was impressed with Mac but to loosely quote Herbstreit, "Mac Jones looked like a true freshman."

Also, the quote at the top is about playing Tua, not Jones. I didn't say it. CNS did.
That's the main thing I took away from watching him too. Even IF hypothetically he had looked as good as Tua in the spring, Mac needs to gain at least 15-20 lbs. He looks way to fragile for SEC play right now. Not knocking him because Gmac and AJ looked just as small as TF. Jalen and Tua are both exceptions at looking like seasoned veterans right out of HS.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I don't know how much plainer he could have put it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think it's pretty impressive that CNS even talked about this. Tells me he knows Tua is not the average type of true freshman.
Does he have any choice though? Tua is #2, there's no one else left. After that it's walk-ons or another true freshman. Since no one else has materialized, he has to get Tua ready to play and Tua can't be treated as though he's only there for emergencies and mop-up duty. Tua's job is just to be there if the team needs him, what ever that situation might be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.