Should Tua be redshirted?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't know how much plainer he could have put it.
Can you answer the question on "IF" Tua can play winning football? yes first half of a-day was great. Second half when he was against the 1's was still good, but not nearly as good as his first half. Again, I'm hoping hte staff finds a way to get him meaningful time in case he's needed later, but Saban's "IF" puts a caveat into the equation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Does he have any choice though?
Most of the time CNS dismisses questions like this or goes 180 degrees the other way on some corrective rant. The fact he answered the question and specifically named Tua is what impressed me about how he obviously feels about his potential.

I can't remember him ever going there and discussing another true freshman like this.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Most of the time CNS dismisses questions like this or goes 180 degrees the other way on some corrective rant. The fact he answered the question and specifically named Tua is what impressed me about how he obviously feels about his potential.

I can't remember him ever going there and discussing another true freshman like this.

Jalen Hurts.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think Tua will "almost" have as much input on redshirting as anyone. We need a backup. That doesn't mean he has to play if Jalen stays healthy. As excited as we all are over another 5-star highly rated QB, few of them are ready for SEC play as a true freshman.

If Jalen continues to improve and is the starter for 4 years, that's what most of us have wished for since Saban started recruiting QBs.

As Tua learns the offense and develops as well as we all want him too, it's still possible he only starts 1 year. If he's capable to play at the next level I would fully expect him to become a NFL draft prospect.

I'm happy we may have turned the corner on top QB's wanting to play in our offense, and hope we can continue to get a commitment from 1 really good qb prospect each year.

So much pressure is heaped on the starting QB for any top team like Alabama. A redshirt year is a great way to relieve some of that pressure.

Jalen is amazing in how he handled the pressure. He embraced that pressure and took us all the way to the title game without it overwhelming him into nervous mistakes.

The competition at QB will make us better. The coaches, the play at the QB position and how the team responds to each QB will ultimately decide how it all shakes out.

I'm rejoicing Jalen has improved and looks to be a very special QB. I hope he can win 2 or 3 championships at Alabama. Clearly he has the character to make all of us proud to have him as the face of our QB, offense and team.

As far as the original question, I'd rep him as the QB that will be inserted if or when we need him this year, and if we don't need him and he's OK with it, I'd redshirt him if possible.
:BigA: RTR

PS. I'd like to see that rule implemented that would allow a player to play a limited amount, without losing a year of eligibility.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think Tua will "almost" have as much input on redshirting as anyone. We need a backup. That doesn't mean he has to play if Jalen stays healthy. As excited as we all are over another 5-star highly rated QB, few of them are ready for SEC play as a true freshman.

If Jalen continues to improve and is the starter for 4 years, that's what most of us have wished for since Saban started recruiting QBs.

As Tua learns the offense and develops as well as we all want him too, it's still possible he only starts 1 year. If he's capable to play at the next level I would fully expect him to become a NFL draft prospect.

I'm happy we may have turned the corner on top QB's wanting to play in our offense, and hope we can continue to get a commitment from 1 really good qb prospect each year.

So much pressure is heaped on the starting QB for any top team like Alabama. A redshirt year is a great way to relieve some of that pressure.

Jalen is amazing in how he handled the pressure. He embraced that pressure and took us all the way to the title game without it overwhelming him into nervous mistakes.

The competition at QB will make us better. The coaches, the play at the QB position and how the team responds to each QB will ultimately decide how it all shakes out.

I'm rejoicing Jalen has improved and looks to be a very special QB. I hope he can win 2 or 3 championships at Alabama. Clearly he has the character to make all of us proud to have him as the face of our QB, offense and team.

As far as the original question, I'd rep him as the QB that will be inserted if or when we need him this year, and if we don't need him and he's OK with it, I'd redshirt him if possible.
:BigA: RTR

PS. I'd like to see that rule implemented that would allow a player to play a limited amount, without losing a year of eligibility.
Tua is playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know how it works but I know what I saw too. FWIW, I was impressed with Mac but to loosely quote Herbstreit, "Mac Jones looked like a true freshman."

Also, the quote at the top is about playing Tua, not Jones. I didn't say it. CNS did.
Because someone asked Saban about Tua... he didn't ask about Mac Jones.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Time will tell if he will or he won't..but I can assure you that CNS would love to redshirt him if possible. Why wouldn't he want that luxury?

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I simply said he would love to redshirt him if possible. Wouldn't you want to if you were the coach Prof?
In a word: no.

Jalen can't play every down. There is no Alec Morris option. That means Tua plays, as he appears to be more game-ready than Mac Jones. Not digging on you, but I just don't see where we have another choice.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In a word: no.

Jalen can't play every down. There is no Alec Morris option. That means Tua plays, as he appears to be more game-ready than Mac Jones. Not digging on you, but I just don't see where we have another choice.
I can understand where you're coming from. Catch 22 for Coach Saban. You start Hurts and bring in Tua(who I really like) for developmental snaps...and say he tears a knee up. Then, you bring in Mac Jones and say he get's hurt.
Where are ya? You're then betting everything that Jalen won't get hurt.
That's kind of where we are to start the season. You choose to bet on Jalen. You almost have to. But you pray to goodness that he doesn't get hurt because you truly hope those other two don't have to play.
Not a good situation at the QB position from the experience perspective.
That was my point. Coach Saban may not be able to redshirt Tua, but he would love to if he can.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Tua can play in four games and still Redshirt. I believe that rule starts this year. Not sure if it's the first four or any four. If any four, he could play in Fresno, Col st., and one more and even Mercer before the Auburn game. I'm assuming that the plan is, barring injury to Hurts or other needs, Tua will play in only four so he can have the redshirt option. Even Mac could get some reps!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think Tua would redshirt if there were any other viable options. There aren't, and why that is, is almost another discussion. But as has been said, there's no one else to come in when there is a blowout or something. It would be insane to play Hurts every single down, the additional injury risk alone is too great. So, unless something dramatically changes, Tua will play.

I do think some are reading too much into this though. Tua is in this position in large part because no one else is there. Otherwise, AJ redshirted (though it was kind of close), Phillip Sims redshirted, David Cornwell redshirted, Cooper Bateman redshirted, Blake Barnett redshirted, etc... Hurts played because he was the best guy for the job, but AJ specifically did not play when he was the best man for the job. Tua will have to play, but it won't be simply because he's the best backup, but also because there's only one other scholarship quarterback.

Also, I don't buy the leave early hype. The quarterback position is complicated, not a whole lot leave early. It's still far more likely that the 5th year would have been of use than not. I've seen more 5 star QBs end up not having a pro career than I recall leaving early.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Tua can play in four games and still Redshirt. I believe that rule starts this year. Not sure if it's the first four or any four. If any four, he could play in Fresno, Col st., and one more and even Mercer before the Auburn game. I'm assuming that the plan is, barring injury to Hurts or other needs, Tua will play in only four so he can have the redshirt option. Even Mac could get some reps!
It's any 4 including Bowl - but I don't know if they have officially revised the rule yet. It does seem to have widespread support. It would do away with the medical redshirt rules.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's any 4 including Bowl - but I don't know if they have officially revised the rule yet. It does seem to have widespread support. It would do away with the medical redshirt rules.

It's any four, but the rule is just proposed at this point. It's been presented to the NCAA by the Football Coaches Association. Most feel that it has an excellent chance of passing, though. As usual, there seems to be confusion about the existing rule. Under the present rule, one play in one game blows the year of eligibility, and you are allowed five to play four. However, IF you suffer a season-ending injury and you have played in 30% or less of the season, measured in quarters, in the first half of the season, then, at the end of your normal eligibility, you can apply for an additional year. You don't apply immediately after the injury. The new rule could do a lot of good...

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think Tua would redshirt if there were any other viable options. There aren't, and why that is, is almost another discussion. But as has been said, there's no one else to come in when there is a blowout or something. It would be insane to play Hurts every single down, the additional injury risk alone is too great. So, unless something dramatically changes, Tua will play.

I do think some are reading too much into this though. Tua is in this position in large part because no one else is there. Otherwise, AJ redshirted (though it was kind of close), Phillip Sims redshirted, David Cornwell redshirted, Cooper Bateman redshirted, Blake Barnett redshirted, etc... Hurts played because he was the best guy for the job, but AJ specifically did not play when he was the best man for the job. Tua will have to play, but it won't be simply because he's the best backup, but also because there's only one other scholarship quarterback.

Also, I don't buy the leave early hype. The quarterback position is complicated, not a whole lot leave early. It's still far more likely that the 5th year would have been of use than not. I've seen more 5 star QBs end up not having a pro career than I recall leaving early.
Good point and interesting to mull over. I haven't researched it but I do believe you are correct about more 5* QB not making it in the Pros than leaving early. Of course some do both, they leave early and also fail.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
It's any four, but the rule is just proposed at this point. It's been presented to the NCAA by the Football Coaches Association. Most feel that it has an excellent chance of passing, though. As usual, there seems to be confusion about the existing rule. Under the present rule, one play in one game blows the year of eligibility, and you are allowed five to play four. However, IF you suffer a season-ending injury and you have played in 30% or less of the season, measured in quarters, in the first half of the season, then, at the end of your normal eligibility, you can apply for an additional year. You don't apply immediately after the injury. The new rule could do a lot of good...
Thanks for the clarifications. I just can't keep up with all the rule changes. Takes me awhile to remember the kick-off team doesn't line up on the forty any more!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
As far as early departures go for QBs, I have heard some so-called draft experts say that most of the QBs that really make it in the NFL are in school 4-5 years. I have no idea if they have any statistics to back that up or just making it up

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.