Should Tua be redshirted?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As far as early departures go for QBs, I have heard some so-called draft experts say that most of the QBs that really make it in the NFL are in school 4-5 years. I have no idea if they have any statistics to back that up or just making it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is true. Bill Parcells generally only wanted to draft a QB who started at least two years in college and finished his degree.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As far as early departures go for QBs, I have heard some so-called draft experts say that most of the QBs that really make it in the NFL are in school 4-5 years. I have no idea if they have any statistics to back that up or just making it up

Similar discussion was had on here a few months back, so I did some research. Looked at the top 50 passers in the NFL in 2016. Twenty-five of the 50 had 36 or more starts. Aaron Rodgers, Shaun Hill and Cam Newton were three of the lowest starts, but they also each had at least a year's worth of starts in JUCO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
36+ starts is ~3 years of starting at QB. It is telling that half of the top 50 passers have that many starts when a 3 year starter is a rare enough thing in college football these days. QBs seem to either start early and bounce after their RS Sophomore or true Junior year or become the starter in their upperclassman years and leave after 1 or 2 years starting.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Yeah I think the discussions started on the radio around Tribisky who, although draft eligible after 4 years, had very few starts in college & could have stayed 1 more year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, if a college QB is a 4 or 5 star recruit he needs the full term to be properly prepared for the NFL. Most college QBs benefit from the RS year, so I feel Tua should be redshirted since I believe Hurts will be Tuscaloosa for his full four years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If Hurts does what I think he will do the next two years, he'll go pro and probably be under-drafted like Watson.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
IMO, if a college QB is a 4 or 5 star recruit he needs the full term to be properly prepared for the NFL. Most college QBs benefit from the RS year, so I feel Tua should be redshirted since I believe Hurts will be Tuscaloosa for his full four years.
I'm not sure of his family's financial situation. I really don't know. But I would think, Jalen, in the next two years..will be a definite NFL prospect, declaring early, and thus making Tua or Mack,(or some newcomer) the starting QB as a sophomore. There's no predicting the future, but as of this moment that would seem to be the direction we're headed...but it's all speculation at this point. That simple.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not sure of his family's financial situation. I really don't know. But I would think, Jalen, in the next two years..will be a definite NFL prospect, declaring early, and thus making Tua or Mack,(or some newcomer) the starting QB as a sophomore. There's no predicting the future, but as of this moment that would seem to be the direction we're headed...but it's all speculation at this point. That simple.
His father is a high school head coach in Texas. Not rich but not struggling to make ends meat. He will be a NLF prospect and I expect him to enter the draft after his junior year if he progresses like I think he will.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really like Hurts, but I do think it is a bit optimistic to expect him to leave early. He could win a Heisman and still not be advised to leave early. It could happen, and if he gets pegged as a first rounder, it should happen (I can think of a couple of QBs that stayed around when they shouldn't have). But put it this way, if Hurts leaves early I'd expect him to both have a Heisman and a couple of championship rings. I'll concede he's on the right arch, but if he does turn out to be that good... well the rest of of college football should consider giving up for a couple of years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If he starts three years in college, he literally has nothing to gain in draft stock (beyond hoping you "roll for a weak QB class" deal) and LITERALLY everything to lose in terms of injuries. This year was a weak QB class and Watson didn't even get drafted first in the QB pool.

If he starts three years here, he should leave regardless of the draft stock because it is unlikely that he's going to unlock some magical knowledge or height-growing serum in one extra year. btw, this is assuming he's a 3-yr graduate type.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
We all know there is not a back up QB in front of Tua. That does seem to make the odds much less that he would be redshirted, but I can't help but think of our previous 5-star QB that many thought would play early and be an outstanding QB. Had he stayed he may have gained the confidence and ability to become what many thought he would become.
Almost everyone figured Jalen was slated for a redshirt. I still think the main reason if Tua plays all year is greatly due to our need for an experienced backup. It's also why I brought up the rule being considered to allow a player to gain playing time without using a year of eligibility.
QB threads are inherently controversial. I'm not advocating anything but what's good for the team. Years from now we'll have the advantage of hindsight and it may be a consensus of what should have been. Tua will be our 2nd string, 1 play away from starting early on. From that point on we'll see how it shakes out.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If he starts three years in college, he literally has nothing to gain in draft stock (beyond hoping you "roll for a weak QB class" deal) and LITERALLY everything to lose in terms of injuries. This year was a weak QB class and Watson didn't even get drafted first in the QB pool.

If he starts three years here, he should leave regardless of the draft stock because it is unlikely that he's going to unlock some magical knowledge or height-growing serum in one extra year. btw, this is assuming he's a 3-yr graduate type.
I don't buy that. NFL minutes are hard to get. There are a lot of things someone can work on in their 4th year of playing that they can't do as easily in the NFL. There are also plenty of guys who needed that fourth year to become a high pick. I'll concede that a player can hurt his draft stock by exposing himself a bit in a fourth year (Tim Tebow and Matt Leinart come to mind), so without a doubt I'd say that if he somehow ends up pegged to go high, come out. That part isn't up for debate.

It sounds more like you are saying that he can't hope for much so he should take what he can get. I can think of a lot of guys who would have benefited from extra polish on their game. Manziel left early, and he darn sure could have used a lot more development. He got drafted early enough, but I can't think of how staying another year or two could have possibly made things any worse, that guy was a train wreck (and might have been either way). There's a lot of guys who played a lot as freshman yet really helped their stock in that fourth year. RG3 flipped a switch in his fourth year, and remember he threw for 2,000 yards as a freshman. No question sticking around benefited him. What about Russel Wilson? He threw for 1,955 yards as a freshman, decided to stick around for a fourth year, it was a monster year, and we know how that worked out.

The fact is I can find a lot of quarterbacks that benefited from a fourth year, and quite a few that would have, at least in a developmental sense. Now, I guess you're just being really cynical. That his draft stock won't get higher after his third year, so take the money and run. Or you're being really positive, in that you think he'll put up monster stats and there's no way he can top that. But, there are plenty of scenarios in which a quarterback benefits from a fourth (or fifth) year.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I really like Hurts, but I do think it is a bit optimistic to expect him to leave early. He could win a Heisman and still not be advised to leave early. It could happen, and if he gets pegged as a first rounder, it should happen (I can think of a couple of QBs that stayed around when they shouldn't have). But put it this way, if Hurts leaves early I'd expect him to both have a Heisman and a couple of championship rings. I'll concede he's on the right arch, but if he does turn out to be that good... well the rest of of college football should consider giving up for a couple of years.
There's also the possibility that after year three he may not be highly rated as an NFL QB but rated fairly highly rated as a potential NFL running back prospect. Again, pure speculation, but if he keeps getting bigger and keeps the same speed..........? Fortunately we have quite a while to see.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
I think back to Tua's spring vs Jalen's. Tua was much more effective as a passer WHEN HE FIRST HIT CAMPUS.

So it really comes down to Jalen. If his apparent improvement as a passer is more illusory than real, I see Coach being quick to play Tua. I truely believe that the Jalen of 2016 could not hold the job against Tua.

On the other hand, if Hurst has improved as much as it appears, Tua is headed for clip board city. A sub 4.5 QB who runs like a back and is also a deadly passer is a dream come true.

My gut tells me Hurts is going to be a much more effective passer this year. But he has to prove that before I'm convinced that he has locked down the job for good.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Could one day down the road Saban play Jalen and Tua, similar to how Rutledge and Todd both got snaps? I could see it if we were beating teams 77-6 like the 70s.
Tua came knowing we just started a freshman that was named SEC Offensive player of the year. He's got plenty of confidence in his own ability. I like how RGW lays things out. If Jalen were to win the Heisman as a Junior his stock would never get much higher and without a doubt he'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's also the possibility that after year three he may not be highly rated as an NFL QB but rated fairly highly rated as a potential NFL running back prospect. Again, pure speculation, but if he keeps getting bigger and keeps the same speed..........? Fortunately we have quite a while to see.
His trajectory is really hard to figure out as of yet. And this is evidenced by one group of people that seem to barely view him as a QB and and think he'll lose his starting job, and another group which see him as a 3 and gone type. That's an amazingly large gap. There have been a lot of very good, to great college QBs that ended up changing positions, some with a lot of success. I mean heck, Blake Sims was a great QB for Alabama and he's trying out running back. So, I do believe there's the possibility for Hurts to have a great career at Alabama and still somehow not end up as an NFL quarterback. It's just so hard to tell right now.

On the other hand, if Hurst has improved as much as it appears, Tua is headed for clip board city. A sub 4.5 QB who runs like a back and is also a deadly passer is a dream come true.
In terms of total production, Hurts was the greatest true freshman quarterback ever. That's not on a percentage basis though, there have been other true freshman quarterbacks that looked better on a percentage basis. But, that puts him on elite company. The thing is where does he go from here? Generally speaking, most quarterbacks improve from their first season starting to their second, and from their first year on campus to the next. If Hurts follows that trend, it is scary for the opposition. Tua obviously won't pass him up, but he could become the next great college quarterback. That's a lot to hope for though, I as of right now am looking at something in the middle. No, I don't think Tua catches him, but I'm not ready to give him a Heisman yet either. I'm optimistic, but I'm not ecstatic just yet.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As good as Tua looked, Hurts had a significantly better spring game when you add in context.

1) The defense wasn't suppose to blitz much but after a hot start by each offense that gentleman's agreement went out the window. When the blitzes started, Tua's production fell off a cliff. Hurts didn't pick apart the blitzes like a pro quarterback but he did perform just a bit better against the blitz.

2) Hurts took 100% of his snaps against the first-team defense. I think it is pretty clear that there is an immense drop-off in the back seven this year. For all we know Hurts may have thrown for 500 yards and 5 TDs against the second-team defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A third thing: it is abundantly clear - despite the beneficial to the defense touch tackle rule on quarterbacks - that there are plays Hurts can make when things break down that Tagovailoa will never be able to make. We all want to see Hurts develop as an all-around player but lets not forget that he's got game changing running ability for a quarterback.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.