Should Tua be redshirted? - Page 25
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425

Re: Should Tua be redshirted?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Really? I haven't seen anyboy call for Tua to start over Hurts, based on what we know right now.
    As has been noted, after A-Day, there have still been some rather, let's say positive comments about Tua.

However, things actually quieted down after A-Day, when as good as Tua looked, Hurts clearly looked better against the first team defense. Before then, there were in fact several posts along the lines of Tua will overtake Hurts, there is an actual quarterback battle going on, and I'm basically quoting here, "Hurts has to improve to keep his starting job", etc...

So, I think things have calmed down to a more objective perspective. Yes, Tua is good, yes Tua will probably play, no Tua isn't taking Hurts job unless something goes really wrong. But, things did get a little out of hand for a while.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

2. Advertisement
    Football and Basketball Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Thanks. For such a profound statement, I just though you may have seen something in practice that we didn't know about.
    I do not have personal access to practices. I know a few people who do get their once in the Spring and Fall camp practice access. With that said, I don't think you need to see practices to see the difference after A-Day.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

[QUOTE=RTR91;3029951]How was that a profound statement? It was pretty obvious during A-Day which one has more escapability.

I will be glad to answer your question. A profound statement is one made by an individual who shows deep insight and understanding for the statement they are making. From the posts I read by RGW, he is the most knowledgeable person on this site and his statement (which I showed in bold print) was by definition a profound statement. I may not agree with that statement after just watching the spring game, but I'm an old, senile person who requires more proof.

5. July 17th, 2017, 08:10 AM

Today at the ESPN Car Wash, Saban said, "Tua is a very, very good player and we're happy to have him in the program. He's someone who needs to play some. I'm not creating a quarterback controversy here. Jalen Hurts is our starting quarterback."

Going to say he's not riding the bench all year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Heard the interview, and several things were clear:
    - Saban wishes he had tolerated the inevitable freshman mistakes and developed Hurts' passing in early games last year. Could have paid dividends in Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and especially Tampa.
    - Hurts is the starter
    - Tua will play early. My guess (not a Saban statement) is that he sits against FSU, and plays a fair amount against Fresno, and maybe CSU, though CSU won't be a walkover by any means.
    - 4QBC interpretation: Tua will run the full offense when in the game. Objective is to not repeat last year's mistake with Jalen. Tua won't, however, start any game in 2017 unless Jalen is hurt (possible), or performance absolutely falls off a cliff (highly unlikely).
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; July 27th, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    Heard the interview, and several things were clear:
    - Saban wishes he had tolerated the inevitable freshman mistakes and developed Hurts' passing in early games last year. Could have paid dividends in Baton Rouge, Atlanta, and especially Tampa.
    - Hurts is the starter
    - Tua will play early. My guess (not a Saban statement) is that he sits against FSU, and plays a fair amount against Fresno, and maybe CSU, though CSU won't be a walkover by any means.
    - 4QBC interpretation: Tua will run the full offense when in the game. Objective is to not repeat last year's mistake with Jalen. Tua won't, however, start any game in 2017 unless Jalen is hurt (possible), or performance absolutely falls off a cliff (highly unlikely).

I want to add few things: I agree with all of things 4Q said, but one thing was left out. I seriously doubt Tua will run full offense early in the year. I think they will try and bring him slowly. I have no reason to believe that he would sit against FSU. Only way that happens if the game is close going into 4th quarter.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I want to add few things: I agree with all of things 4Q said, but one thing was left out. I seriously doubt Tua will run full offense early in the year. I think they will try and bring him slowly. I have no reason to believe that he would sit against FSU. Only way that happens if the game is close going into 4th quarter.
    He appeared to be running a lot of the offense in the spring game, maybe not full but certainly not vanilla. I agree that I think he may play a series or two against FSU depending on how the game is playing out.

BamaNation All-SEC Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    He appeared to be running a lot of the offense in the spring game, maybe not full but certainly not vanilla. I agree that I think he may play a series or two against FSU depending on how the game is playing out.
    But I thought they run a pared down and vanilla offense for the Spring game...
    Those early routes and reads were not nearly the level of difficulty we will see being used by and against FSU. So I think what he was running was absolutely vanilla. Not throwing shade at Tua but there's knowing the playbook and there's KNOWING the playbook because you've run it against SEC defenses in the past. I'd say he will know the playbook by Fall, if not already, but I disagree that that A-Day game is an indicator of his grasp of the complete playbook.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    But I thought they run a pared down and vanilla offense for the Spring game...
    Those early routes and reads were not nearly the level of difficulty we will see being used by and against FSU. So I think what he was running was absolutely vanilla. Not throwing shade at Tua but there's knowing the playbook and there's KNOWING the playbook because you've run it against SEC defenses in the past. I'd say he will know the playbook by Fall, if not already, but I disagree that that A-Day game is an indicator of his grasp of the complete playbook.
    I did not say complete. It seemed to me that Tua was throwing balls/running plays we did not see Jalen run in the Spring game the previous year but that may have more to do with the play calling.

BamaNation All-SEC Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I did not say complete. It seemed to me that Tua was throwing balls/running plays we did not see Jalen run in the Spring game the previous year but that may have more to do with the play calling.
    I think it has to do with play calling and a different playbook. The differentiation may have made it appear that we were showing MORE of our playbook when it reality we are showing the vanilla version of a completely different playbook and play calling style.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov