Should Tua be redshirted? - Page 3
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Should Tua be redshirted?

I wish he could redshirt, but considering the light that some of you have put it in, that there has to be a backup QB, then I'm not sure he can.

2. Advertisement

Not sure if it's already been stated, but I think the chances of him redshirting is slim, because (for reasons probably already mentioned), we're gonna have some games where he'll have to play for 3 reasons:

1) We'll be up by 4 TDs
    2) We don't wanna get Jalen hurt (no pun intended)
    3) Gotta get Tua some live bullets for 2 reasons (in the event that #2 happens and/or he's plug & play once Jalen moves on to the next level)
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Not sure if it's already been stated, but I think the chances of him redshirting is slim, because (for reasons probably already mentioned), we're gonna have some games where he'll have to play for 3 reasons:

1) We'll be up by 4 TDs
    2) We don't wanna get Jalen hurt (no pun intended)
    3) Gotta get Tua some live bullets for 2 reasons (in the event that #2 happens and/or he's plug & play once Jalen moves on to the next level)
    I suppose you'd know as much about this as anyone. What do you think about the possibility of a graduate transfer? I haven't heard so much as a peep about that in terms of any actual possibilities, so it seems unlikely but it also seems like it would solve most (but not all) of the issues we're discussing.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I suppose you'd know as much about this as anyone. What do you think about the possibility of a graduate transfer? I haven't heard so much as a peep about that in terms of any actual possibilities, so it seems unlikely but it also seems like it would solve most (but not all) of the issues we're discussing.
    I'd be incredibly surprised. I just posted over in the recruiting board, the emphasis right now on the fronts on both sides. I don't see how we'd use a scholarship on another QB.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American

No way should we Red Shirt Tua. He's pushing for playing time. Good chance he will not be here 4 years. The Pro's will be calling his name in a couple of years.

Better Idea would be to get Tua on the field early and often. Tua is only one play from being our starter. I hope nothing ever happens to Jalen or Tua. but we need Tua ready to strap on and play at a moments notice.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    If we were taking a graduate transfer, we would probably know sometime in next few weeks since class starts on May 30th. I seriously doubt we'll take one in at this point, but either way, we want Tua to get some experience on the field because we do not have any veteran backup that can close the gap.. and plus why would a graduate transfer come to Alabama and be a backup?
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    No way should we Red Shirt Tua. He's pushing for playing time. Good chance he will not be here 4 years. The Pro's will be calling his name in a couple of years.

Better Idea would be to get Tua on the field early and often. Tua is only one play from being our starter. I hope nothing ever happens to Jalen or Tua. but we need Tua ready to strap on and play at a moments notice.
    The last sentence sounds...... iffy LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    The last sentence sounds...... iffy LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Given we didn't see any walk-on QBs such as Montana Murphy, I think it is pretty clear that Tagovailoa is going to be the backup quarterback and receive a fair number of snaps if we blow people out frequently.
    Going by the team rosters released on Thursday, Montana was injured.

If we can find a graduate transfer, great. That doesn't seem likely, though. What guy wants to leave a current school to come here and not start? Plus, the scholarship numbers are very tight.

Working under the impression we don't get a transfer, Tua has to play. We can't play him like we did AJ in 2009. Star Jackson at least at a season in the system. Other than the walk-on's, no other QB has experience in case Jalen goes down. Therefore, Tua needs the reps to get adjusted to the college game instead of riding the bench in hopes of taking a RS to only be thrown into the TAMU game in October because Jalen is out several weeks.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post

If he's sitting on the bench while Hurts plays out two more years his phone won't ring. Right now their eligibility is one year apart. Though he is a better natural passer than hurts, IMO, he's not an overall better athlete and not the better overall QB. So there is a good chance he doesn't beat Hurts out while they both are on campus. So unless the NFL is willing to take an enormous risk on a kid who's never started a game, was career college backup and is coming out as a junior. He probably needs to seriously consider red shirting or transferring. Because until it actually happens. I'm saying odds are he doesn't beat out Jalen Hurts.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Should Tua be redshirted?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    If he's sitting on the bench while Hurts plays out two more years his phone won't ring. Right now their eligibility is one year apart. Though he is a better natural passer than hurts, IMO, he's not an overall better athlete and not the better overall QB. So there is a good chance he doesn't beat Hurts out while they both are on campus. So unless the NFL is willing to take an enormous risk on a kid who's never started a game, was career college backup and is coming out as a junior. He probably needs to seriously consider red shirting or transferring. Because until it actually happens. I'm saying odds are he doesn't beat out Jalen Hurts.
    Have you seen some of the QBs projected to be high draft picks this year? If Hurts continues to progress he could be a 1st/2nd round pick. Really depends on the strength of the QB class that year..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; April 24th, 2017 at 02:48 PM.

Now, that brings up a question. Let's assume Tua serves as our backup QB during the whole time Hurts is at Alabama. Now, if Hurts stays 4 years and Tua transfer, who do we develop because we lose our experienced QBs. I think it's critical that we both get qbs some experience this year.. and maybe use redshirt later down the road?

Let's assume Hurts leave for NFL in 2019:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2019/QB

Looking at it, Hurts can easily be top 3 QB in that class... I'm not counting Lamar Jackson and few others who could go in 2018....

He just need solid sophomore year and junior year and he should be able be ranked top 5 qbs.... Especially if he get his degree early.