Should Tua be redshirted? - Page 5
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    Football and Basketball Moderator

Re: Should Tua be redshirted?

From what I've seen of Tua, there isn't going to be a kid coming up behind him that will beat him out when his time comes. I wouldn't worry about him transferring. The big question is whether we can sneak in a redshirt this year or feel compelled to use him as the back up to a risky type of starter in terms of injuries. It is better for him longterm to get the extra year of space from Hurts. I don't know if Hurts enters the draft early barring the leap as a passer we hope to see this year.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I don't think only starting one year would stop him from being drafted early. However, with his height limitations it will be harder for him than Trubisky. Also, most successful QBs in the NFL (if not all) started at least 2 years and many started 3 or 4.

I get the appeal of this but I don't think it would work for a few reasons but the biggest is that Tua is a lefty and Jalen is a righty. It takes an adjustment for WRs to learn to catch balls from lefty QBs and it also changes the blocking scheme. Most offenses are built for righty QBs and while making a switch to a lefty isn't all that hard if he is THE guy it would be very difficult when switching be Tua and Jalen.
    Tom Brady says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Tom Brady says hi.
    Tom Brady started over 25 games at Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Tom Brady started over 25 games at Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson White View Post
    Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.
    Brah....
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    Tom Brady says hi.

Brady started every game in both 1998 and 1999. He was platooned with Drew Henson but he started.

If Verne Gagne were coming back to do the games again this year, I'd say "yes," to redshirting simply because the botchery of Tua's name on a weekly basis would get......amusing.

But....
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

We're giving him a chance. Are you paying attention? A lot of people here are basically saying he has pro potential and is a future starter if he sticks around.

But by chance do you mean a chance of overtaking the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year? A chance to do that? That's an entirely different story. Hurts is a special player, it sounds to me like you're not giving him much of a well earned chance. You're not giving him his due credit...
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

How about this one:
    Redshirt Mac this season to get a year of S&C and allow Tua to get all the mop up work. Next year RS Tua and have Mac do mop up duty, with the intention of burning the RS from Tua in the event of a significant injury to JH.
    I think a solid freshman year of getting those snaps this year would really benefit Tua in the long run. He would then be more ready if he had to take over at some point next season. Get both Tua and Mac a year of separation from Jalen and they fight it out when their turn comes.

Um, actually most of us are really high on Tua. We just also know that if Jalen can improve his intermediate accuracy and push the ball down field our offense could be record setting.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    We're giving him a chance. Are you paying attention? A lot of people here are basically saying he has pro potential and is a future starter if he sticks around.

But by chance do you mean a chance of overtaking the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year? A chance to do that? That's an entirely different story. Hurts is a special player, it sounds to me like you're not giving him much of a well earned chance. You're not giving him his due credit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Um, actually most of us are really high on Tua. We just also know that if Jalen can improve his intermediate accuracy and push the ball down field our offense could be record setting.
    Crimson white didn't say anyone was not high on Tua, and he didn't say anything about Jalen that hasn't been said many times before. All he said was most people give Tua little chance (context clearly shows he means chance to overtake Jalen for the starter job), which is obviously a true statement. In this thread almost nobody thinks that is likely. No need to read more into a comment than it really says. If CW thinks Tua has a better chance to win the job than most other people, then that's his opinion. No reason to misrepresent what he said and then bash a strawman. Especially doing this at a new person, it makes them not want to come back.

Vol boy Clay is already declaring Tua is going to be the best QB Saban's ever had at Alabama.

I hope he's right, too.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma