Should Tua be redshirted?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Now, that brings up a question. Let's assume Tua serves as our backup QB during the whole time Hurts is at Alabama. Now, if Hurts stays 4 years and Tua transfer, who do we develop because we lose our experienced QBs. I think it's critical that we both get qbs some experience this year.. and maybe use redshirt later down the road?
Mac is a good QB. Nowhere near the arm talent as Tua, but he can get us from one spot to the next.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Have you seen some of the QBs projected to be high draft picks this year? If Hurts continues to progress he could be a 1st/2nd round pick. Really depends on the strength of the QB class that year..
That's very true. But, is that something that would be disclosed to Tua ahead of time? I go back to Tua's family's decision to move all the way to T-Town. Are they really going to sit and watch their kid ride the bench hinging their hopes on the guy ahead of him leaving early for the draft? Or are they going to move all the way to T-Town only to have Tua transfer and the family have to up root and move again? I give Tua's family a little more credit than that. I doubt they make a huge decision like that on a whim.

I agree with Krazy in that I think this will be handled a lot like the Star Jones/AJ McCarron situation. On paper Star was the "backup". But if the situation presented itself and we had to have the second string guy come in, it would have been AJ. I see this playing out the same. It's rolling the dice. But each scenario is rolling the dice.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That's very true. But, is that something that would be disclosed to Tua ahead of time? I go back to Tua's family's decision to move all the way to T-Town. Are they really going to sit and watch their kid ride the bench hinging their hopes on the guy ahead of him leaving early for the draft? Or are they going to move all the way to T-Town only to have Tua transfer and the family have to up root and move again? I give Tua's family a little more credit than that. I doubt they make a huge decision like that on a whim.

I agree with Krazy in that I think this will be handled a lot like the Star Jones/AJ McCarron situation. On paper Star was the "backup". But if the situation presented itself and we had to have the second string guy come in, it would have been AJ. I see this playing out the same. It's rolling the dice. But each scenario is rolling the dice.
I think Tua's family moving might have something to do with Tua's brother. Last I read he was determined to follow Tua to Bama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Here's a few realistic scenarios where Tua ends up playing sooner than later:

- Jalen gets injured. Obviously hope this doesn't happen but it's always a possibility
- Jalen leaves early for the NFL after next year (I would say 50/50 chance as of right now)
- Jalen really struggles and regresses this year and Tua wins the job outright next summer/fall
-Jalen struggles passing and we implement a 2 QB system

Any of those scenarios could happen though some are unlikely. Just showing the other side of the argument that it's not a foregone conclusion Jalen takes every snap for the rest of his eligibility. Now, if he does then that's a decision Tua and his family will have to make down the road. Best case scenario there would be for Tua to graduate and then transfer and have 2 years to start somewhere right away. Doesn't make sense for Tua to transfer as a freshman or sophomore..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I terms of Hurts, I think we really don't know yet what his ceiling is. He had an amazing true freshman season, but how much he'll improve from that remains to be seen. He looked good passing downfield at A-Day, and he could improve more in the summer. So, I've never doubted his NFL potential but we'll just have to see, he's not the prototypical type they look for generally though. One thing I will say, one of the surest ways I see for him to regress is if he really does end up in a two QB situation. I've looked around a bit trying to compare stats and development and what not, and an established starter losing his job is one of the ways to derail their progression. It isn't just a matter of impacting their leadership and confidence, but I think just losing some of those first team reps at a point where they need them to develop can send them heading in the wrong direction. I really, really do not want to see this situation devolve into Hurts and Tua fighting for playing time between themselves, it seems to turn out poorly as often as it works out. It's one thing to do that to establish a starter, it's another entirely to do that to an established starter.

But... the one thing that seems clear as of right now is that Alabama has to have someone to play backup who can maintain an Alabama lead. Tua is that guy, and there's really no other option. So either someone else shows up, or he burns a redshirt and we see how things go from there. I'm just not as enthusiastic as some about that prospect because I much prefer the path of peaceful progression from Hurts to Tua vs. the only one can survive type scenario that their being only one year apart seems to invite.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Judging by what I saw Saturday, the 2 guys Bama brought in are better than the 2 that left. As far as Tua starting only one year and then making the NFL, the kid at North Carolina only started one season and could be the top QB taken in this years draft.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If Tua is named our back-up QB & doesn't RS, it's the perfect scenario to have a "Two Headed Monster" type offense, tailor two sets of offense that specifically allows each QB to run plays they are best at & most comfortable running..Could y'all imagine the horror show it would become for opposing DC's to prepare their D's for that kinda situation when they play The Tide..

Even though I didn't agree with Shula on most things or his coaching style as a HC, the one thing I he did that I thought was really good coaching, allowing the back-up QB to come in running the 3rd series every game..We could start out doing something similar to that & increase Tua's snaps as he get more reps on the college level & become more acclimated to the speed of the game until we get to a ratio of snaps per QB Coach Saban is good with..JMO..

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I've never felt he should redshirt if he was gonna play 2nd string. And I felt he would win that spot at least. Saban probably told him he would have a chance to win the job and that can take a season or more especially if you're behind Hurts. They'll continue to recruit QBs. It seems improbable but what if we get another hot shot next year or so.
I'm for no redshirt. Let him get what he can this year and compete with Jalen.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Judging by what I saw Saturday, the 2 guys Bama brought in are better than the 2 that left. As far as Tua starting only one year and then making the NFL, the kid at North Carolina only started one season and could be the top QB taken in this years draft.
And Saban just said this after A-Day, 1, 2 and 3 this year being better than last year's QB's.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think only starting one year would stop him from being drafted early. However, with his height limitations it will be harder for him than Trubisky. Also, most successful QBs in the NFL (if not all) started at least 2 years and many started 3 or 4.

If Tua is named our back-up QB & doesn't RS, it's the perfect scenario to have a "Two Headed Monster" type offense, tailor two sets of offense that specifically allows each QB to run plays they are best at & most comfortable running..Could y'all imagine the horror show it would become for opposing DC's to prepare their D's for that kinda situation when they play The Tide..

Even though I didn't agree with Shula on most things or his coaching style as a HC, the one thing I he did that I thought was really good coaching, allowing the back-up QB to come in running the 3rd series every game..We could start out doing something similar to that & increase Tua's snaps as he get more reps on the college level & become more acclimated to the speed of the game until we get to a ratio of snaps per QB Coach Saban is good with..JMO..
I get the appeal of this but I don't think it would work for a few reasons but the biggest is that Tua is a lefty and Jalen is a righty. It takes an adjustment for WRs to learn to catch balls from lefty QBs and it also changes the blocking scheme. Most offenses are built for righty QBs and while making a switch to a lefty isn't all that hard if he is THE guy it would be very difficult when switching be Tua and Jalen.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO Hurts stays the full term, 4 years. Tua either plays in mop up duty or transfers. A question, with 2 elite QBs separated by only 1 year how do we attract another elite QB knowing he rides the pine for at least 2 years. Assuming we can sign another elite QB, does Jones hang around 4 years to hold the clipboard? Lots of potential problems.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think Tua's family moving might have something to do with Tua's brother. Last I read he was determined to follow Tua to Bama.
I think they moved to A-Town (Not T-Town, they are in Alabaster) just so he'd have family nearby. Now he can take a quick trip home whenever he wants to without even having to spend the night away from campus.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
From what I've seen of Tua, there isn't going to be a kid coming up behind him that will beat him out when his time comes. I wouldn't worry about him transferring. The big question is whether we can sneak in a redshirt this year or feel compelled to use him as the back up to a risky type of starter in terms of injuries. It is better for him longterm to get the extra year of space from Hurts. I don't know if Hurts enters the draft early barring the leap as a passer we hope to see this year.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't think only starting one year would stop him from being drafted early. However, with his height limitations it will be harder for him than Trubisky. Also, most successful QBs in the NFL (if not all) started at least 2 years and many started 3 or 4.

I get the appeal of this but I don't think it would work for a few reasons but the biggest is that Tua is a lefty and Jalen is a righty. It takes an adjustment for WRs to learn to catch balls from lefty QBs and it also changes the blocking scheme. Most offenses are built for righty QBs and while making a switch to a lefty isn't all that hard if he is THE guy it would be very difficult when switching be Tua and Jalen.
Tom Brady says hi.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.
Brah....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Verne Gagne were coming back to do the games again this year, I'd say "yes," to redshirting simply because the botchery of Tua's name on a weekly basis would get......amusing.

But....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.