Should Tua be redshirted?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.
We're giving him a chance. Are you paying attention? A lot of people here are basically saying he has pro potential and is a future starter if he sticks around.

But by chance do you mean a chance of overtaking the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year? A chance to do that? That's an entirely different story. Hurts is a special player, it sounds to me like you're not giving him much of a well earned chance. You're not giving him his due credit...

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
How about this one:
Redshirt Mac this season to get a year of S&C and allow Tua to get all the mop up work. Next year RS Tua and have Mac do mop up duty, with the intention of burning the RS from Tua in the event of a significant injury to JH.
I think a solid freshman year of getting those snaps this year would really benefit Tua in the long run. He would then be more ready if he had to take over at some point next season. Get both Tua and Mac a year of separation from Jalen and they fight it out when their turn comes.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Not many people in this thread are giving Tua much chance. I hope Hurts improves tenfold over last year, but I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tua is starting by the end of the year. Jalen needs not only to improve his consistency in the intermediate and long ball, but reading defenses before and after the snap.
Um, actually most of us are really high on Tua. We just also know that if Jalen can improve his intermediate accuracy and push the ball down field our offense could be record setting.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
We're giving him a chance. Are you paying attention? A lot of people here are basically saying he has pro potential and is a future starter if he sticks around.

But by chance do you mean a chance of overtaking the reigning SEC Offensive Player of the Year? A chance to do that? That's an entirely different story. Hurts is a special player, it sounds to me like you're not giving him much of a well earned chance. You're not giving him his due credit...
Um, actually most of us are really high on Tua. We just also know that if Jalen can improve his intermediate accuracy and push the ball down field our offense could be record setting.
Crimson white didn't say anyone was not high on Tua, and he didn't say anything about Jalen that hasn't been said many times before. All he said was most people give Tua little chance (context clearly shows he means chance to overtake Jalen for the starter job), which is obviously a true statement. In this thread almost nobody thinks that is likely. No need to read more into a comment than it really says. If CW thinks Tua has a better chance to win the job than most other people, then that's his opinion. No reason to misrepresent what he said and then bash a strawman. Especially doing this at a new person, it makes them not want to come back.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Vol boy Clay is already declaring Tua is going to be the best QB Saban's ever had at Alabama.

I hope he's right, too.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Crimson white didn't say anyone was not high on Tua, and he didn't say anything about Jalen that hasn't been said many times before. All he said was most people give Tua little chance (context clearly shows he means chance to overtake Jalen for the starter job), which is obviously a true statement. In this thread almost nobody thinks that is likely. No need to read more into a comment than it really says. If CW thinks Tua has a better chance to win the job than most other people, then that's his opinion. No reason to misrepresent what he said and then bash a strawman. Especially doing this at a new person, it makes them not want to come back.
You must be new here, 'cause bashing is big on here.:wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How about this one:
Redshirt Mac this season to get a year of S&C and allow Tua to get all the mop up work. Next year RS Tua and have Mac do mop up duty, with the intention of burning the RS from Tua in the event of a significant injury to JH.
I think a solid freshman year of getting those snaps this year would really benefit Tua in the long run. He would then be more ready if he had to take over at some point next season. Get both Tua and Mac a year of separation from Jalen and they fight it out when their turn comes.
Remember that you will have other QBs coming in next year, and the year after. You really can't build these kinds of plans with players. You just play your best and let the chips fall where they may.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm just gonna put these links here so we can test everybody's sanity on the annual TideFans "who should play quarterback" because the TRUTH is that none of us is close to the situation and NONE of us have seen these two guys in action LATELY save for an exhibition. You can't go off what Hurts did or didn't do last year. This post gives links to conclusively prove my point:

1) Blake Sims Might Be Used As a Running Back

2) Coker is gonna have a breakout year in 2014 - despite what Saban says

3) Should We Start Coker in Game Two Rather Than Blake Sims Who Did Well In Game One?

4) Hey, We Could Get Braxton Miller!!!!

5) What Would You Tell Saban/Kiffin To Do At QB - Morning After the Ole Miss Loss in 2015

6) Coker Is Hesitant So We Should Play Bateman - after one game with Coker at starter

7) Alec Morris Is Leading on the Depth Chart Says Source Close To Team Just Ten Days Prior To Wisky

8) We Should Pull The Redshirt On Blake Barnett Because Coker and Bateman Aren't Good Enough and We Won't Win the 2015 Title

You're welcome.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree with BIG that you play the best...Tua's clearly the #2 (or 1b:wink:) right now. The story of how CNS handled AJ when he was redshirted, but the "real" #2 in case of injury does not apply today IMO because our QB recruiting is in another galaxy in 2017 than '09. This time next year or the next we'll be drooling over another 5* guy who's a freshman.

Now, Tua's "real chance" to overtake Jalen next season or the next really comes down to two things, which none of us can really predict (outside of JH having a major injury).

1. JH must continue to get better in the passing department. We know what he brings to the table with his legs/feet. If his short range/intermediate/3rd down passing improves, his legs become even more dangerous because opposing defenses can't stack the line and force him to throw it anymore. If he does this he becomes a legit Heisman candidate and it's hard to imagine us not being in the playoff again next year. But the bottom line is JH is a qb and that means the main thing he does other than hand off the ball is complete passes so the verdict is still out on how he progresses overall.

2. Tua, according to Kirk Herbstreit, is already a more advanced passer than Jalen. It's pretty obvious to even the average Tidefans poster that his passing skills are legit. What we don't know is how well he matures in learning the offense, reading the defense and managing the team. If he's really a "once in a generation" type qb and JH doesn't progress as a passer he COULD overtake JH at some point. I don't think Tua comes to Bama if he doesn't believe that or if CNS didn't explain that was possible. And, if this were to happen in the next couple of years, I know all of us hope that it doesn't mean Jalen didn't get better or he regressed but that Tua was such a talent that CNS couldn't afford not to play him.

As Selma has reminded us...it's foolish to say we know what will happen.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree with BIG that you play the best...Tua's clearly the #2 (or 1b:wink:) right now. The story of how CNS handled AJ when he was redshirted, but the "real" #2 in case of injury does not apply today IMO because our QB recruiting is in another galaxy in 2017 than '09. This time next year or the next we'll be drooling over another 5* guy who's a freshman.

Now, Tua's "real chance" to overtake Jalen next season or the next really comes down to two things, which none of us can really predict (outside of JH having a major injury).

1. JH must continue to get better in the passing department. We know what he brings to the table with his legs/feet. If his short range/intermediate/3rd down passing improves, his legs become even more dangerous because opposing defenses can't stack the line and force him to throw it anymore. If he does this he becomes a legit Heisman candidate and it's hard to imagine us not being in the playoff again next year. But the bottom line is JH is a qb and that means the main thing he does other than hand off the ball is complete passes so the verdict is still out on how he progresses overall.

2. Tua, according to Kirk Herbstreit, is already a more advanced passer than Jalen. It's pretty obvious to even the average Tidefans poster that his passing skills are legit. What we don't know is how well he matures in learning the offense, reading the defense and managing the team. If he's really a "once in a generation" type qb and JH doesn't progress as a passer he COULD overtake JH at some point. I don't think Tua comes to Bama if he doesn't believe that or if CNS didn't explain that was possible. And, if this were to happen in the next couple of years, I know all of us hope that it doesn't mean Jalen didn't get better or he regressed but that Tua was such a talent that CNS couldn't afford not to play him.

As Selma has reminded us...it's foolish to say we know what will happen.
I think 3rd down passing is the biggest key. Based on A Day we know Jalen has greatly improved his deep ball accuracy and touch. Last year half his deep balls were inaccurate and the other half required an acrobatic catch because it was coming in way too hot. During A Day though, his touch looked great and he was hitting WRs in stride. IMO this was the first step. Now, if he can improve on his 3rd down passing? Then I think he is good to go. I would like him to become a top NFL QB prospect but frankly that's not necessary for a NC or Heisman.

Also, we (me included) talk about Tua possibly taking Jalen's spot at some point in the future but did any of you hear about the background on Jalen's phone? That tells me he is motivated. We already know he has great work ethic. He is going to push himself even harder with Tua behind him making plays. My only worry is that he could fall into an RGIII situation. RGIII was an incredibly hard worker but he worked on the wrong things. He was a gym rat instead of a film room guy. You HAVE to be a film room guy at the QB position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For those considering future QB recruits into the equation, Bama - at the moment - looks to be going after a couple of guys with high potential but still pretty raw. Doesn't look like we're going to get a guy like Jalen or Tua that is ready to play right away.

That might change as guys go through summer camps and get more exposure, but right now we aren't in contention for the guys that won't need a year or two in the system.

Therefore, we're going to have separation from Tua/Mac to the next QB on campus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For those considering future QB recruits into the equation, Bama - at the moment - looks to be going after a couple of guys with high potential but still pretty raw. Doesn't look like we're going to get a guy like Jalen or Tua that is ready to play right away.

That might change as guys go through summer camps and get more exposure, but right now we aren't in contention for the guys that won't need a year or two in the system.

Therefore, we're going to have separation from Tua/Mac to the next QB on campus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That may be true (not questioning your recruiting knowledge) but it would appear that even Mac Jones is an upgrade over the last few guys who were waiting in the wings. And I suppose the quality of those recruites will continue to be guys like that.

I think we have an unprecedented situation with two guys who are 1 year apart who already seem like nothing we've ever seen before in Bama qb recruitment.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
All I know is that we were a one dimensional team last year against good defenses, and to award Hurts the job prior to an extensive "in game" competition that affords Tua several games to acclimate to the college game would be idiotic.

Why the hurry?

Any advantage to settleing who the starter is quickly is likely to be overshadowed by the hearbreak of seeing our best QB prospect since Joe Willie Namath transfer.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
All I know is that we were a one dimensional team last year against good defenses, and to award Hurts the job prior to an extensive "in game" competition that affords Tua several games to acclimate to the college game would be idiotic.

Why the hurry?

Any advantage to settleing who the starter is quickly is likely to be overshadowed by the hearbreak of seeing our best QB prospect since Joe Willie Namath transfer.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Why the hurry?

Hey, I'm with you in my excitement about Tua!!! But that's a little bit of a leap considering Jalen is a known commodity having witnessed him play 15 games. We know his strengths and weaknesses and some of the unmeasurable things like coolness and intangibles that don't show up on stat sheets except in the won/loss column.

Before Tua can be proclaimed the greatest since Joe Willy he'll have to actually play in some real games and prove it on the field. I too hope he has that opportunity while wearing a Bama jersey (at whatever point that might be). He's already good (I think everyone agrees) but "greatness" is only proven one way (win games/championships).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Why the hurry?

I'm not in the Jalen can do no wrong camp but come on...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.