Should Tua be redshirted?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Quite honestly, the way some of you think, if the equivalent of the Tom Brady of today were currently a frosh at Bama, he simply couldn't see field for the next three years.

Straight talk about Jalen ...

He's a dynamic, talented player who's poise and ability to run put him in the starting spot over a very mediocre field of candidates last year.

That's it. It's as simple as that.

But any objective observer could see that, had we switched QBs with Clemson last year, we would have won that game by a minimum of 35 points. Minimum.

Point being, there is a vast improvement in the QB position possible over what we saw last year.

And that is why, in my book, there is no justification for believing that Hurts has "won" the position in any real sense.

He has to improve on his passing, big league.
We have to be able to be balanced and capable of a downfield threat against top completion this year, or else, we have to conclude that he may not be the answer.

He was a frosh. He did very well for a frosh. But he has not wrapped up that position for the remainder of his career at Bama.

I know. Coach Saban knows it. And Tua knows it.
Edit: My apologies. I completely misinterpreted what you wrote. I thought you meant if we switched to a different QB on our roster (not Hurts) we would have won by 35.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think Hurts is an uncommon talent who has the knack for making big plays in the clutch. I don't know anything about Tua, but if he's better, we're in really good shape.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree that Hurts is likely a 4 year guy, but Jones did not look ready to me. A smart play might be to RS Jones this year and Tua next year (if Jones is ready). Then let the chips fall where they may if Jalen stays for his senior year.
Agree completely. Unless Hurts improves by way more than I would expect he is going to be here for 4 years. Jones definitely needs a RS and I would be really surprised and happy if Tua stayed for all of it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
His deep ball passing is light years improved from not just A-Day but last season and the Clemson game.

The ONLY thing that still worries me is 3rd downs/pressure and his instincts to give up on WR's and take off running/not pull the trigger. Someone mentioned it elsewhere but last year there were a LOT of plays where Ridley roasted a guy(s) on a double move route and by time he was wide open Jalen was already head down running.

But.... if he can fix his deep ball that much in 3 months then there is no reason to think he can't fix the intermediate 3rd down passes in the next 4. He already has all the intangibles and his legs are a huge weapon. When he puts it all together he's going to be unstoppable.

As for Tua, at first I really wanted him to RS to create some separation from Jalen. But after reading other people's posts and thinking about it I agree that we need to play for now and not the future. If Tua is #2 which I think we all agree he is....then he needs to be ready and get some quality snaps and playing time. Jalen runs a lot and even though he is Tebow strong his is not immune to injury. We have to have Tua ready just in case. That means meaningful snaps earlier in games and not just in garbage time. If we are going to burn the RS it can't just be for hand-offs and short safe passes in the 4th qtr trying to run out the clock.

Hopefully we can create a role for him. Like others have said maybe ala Leak/Tebow.
Good post!

One thing we know is that CNS is no idiot. He's become a living legend from evaluating and recruiting top talent and then plugging them into the system he's chosen to run. While he is a defensive guru, he probably knows more about offense than any of us would give him credit for.

This much I know, if his and Daboll's evaluation deem Hurts plays and Tua sit/redshirts, while we may debate it, I'm sure it will be the right choice. If they decide to allow Tua to get some real experience (other than blowout snaps), while we may debate it, I'm sure it'll be the right decision.

In Saban we trust.

Last edited:

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Dude...you're a crazy person...

35 points, seriously? We didn't lose the game because of Hurts.
Oh heck yes. It was Watson who beat us.
35 points easy.

Add the downfield passing, time of possession, open up the running game ...

I doubt Hurst under center for Clemson would have scored much more than 10 points against our D.

35 easy.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Tua should redshirt. That's whats best for him. Jalen was an exception. In general it's always good for freshmen QB's to redshirt. This is just whats best for Tua.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think the intent right now is to rs him, although I think that could change if circumstances dictate(injury or poor performance by Hurts). Saban has shown in his coaching career that he is willing to pull the 'shirt off if the situation calls for it.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
This thread....

Tua isn't red shirting.
Lane had personal problems worthy of a Lifetime movie.
Sark wasn't much better.
Sark called an awful game.

Give it a rest - Jalen will get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Tua should redshirt. That's whats best for him. Jalen was an exception. In general it's always good for freshmen QB's to redshirt. This is just whats best for Tua.
One of our two TF QB's is not going to be able to RS. In a perfect world both would RS. I think Tua won't have that luxury.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just watched the A-day game again.

One question I haven't heard addressed is which qb seemed to do a better job surveying the field and going thru progressions and hitting a 2nd or 3rd receiver if needed?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I just watched the A-day game again.

One question I haven't heard addressed is which qb seemed to do a better job surveying the field and going thru progressions and hitting a 2nd or 3rd receiver if needed?
Depends on the time they had. Tua did well when he could sit in the pocket but that bit him later on when the pressure increased. He would then refuse to stop his progressions and either throw the ball away or scramble. He hit the hot route once and that was already bottled up by Mack Wilson and he missed a few under routes during that time. TBH, Jalen did ok with this but was maybe a split second too anxious on 3rd down pressure. Early on his reads were really simple and he threw to his first read often. One of his deep balls was a 2nd read. When pressure amped up he was more poised than Tua. But that's to be expected. I'd say his biggest area of needed improvement is his progressions and timing but it's already better than where it was last season so 7 on 7s will help with that. They'll also need to help him cope with 3rd down blitzes better. However I did see a few blitzes get picked up by the line and the RB and Jalen stood in there for a bit. So he can do it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Depends on the time they had. Tua did well when he could sit in the pocket but that bit him later on when the pressure increased. He would then refuse to stop his progressions and either throw the ball away or scramble. He hit the hot route once and that was already bottled up by Mack Wilson and he missed a few under routes during that time. TBH, Jalen did ok with this but was maybe a split second too anxious on 3rd down pressure. Early on his reads were really simple and he threw to his first read often. One of his deep balls was a 2nd read. When pressure amped up he was more poised than Tua. But that's to be expected. I'd say his biggest area of needed improvement is his progressions and timing but it's already better than where it was last season so 7 on 7s will help with that. They'll also need to help him cope with 3rd down blitzes better. However I did see a few blitzes get picked up by the line and the RB and Jalen stood in there for a bit. So he can do it.

Specifically, it seemed to me his 3 or 4 long passes where pre-snap reads (you mention one was a second read). Those where the ones he seemed to make the best throw...when he didn't have to think too much or go thru a progression. On other throws, especially mid-range throws, I don't know if he went thru his progressions properly, but he had several that were thrown very late (Minka should have picked one of them) or too soon (the first INT in the endzone) or into double coverage. I notice he did check down to receivers coming out of the backfield...he did this twice to Jacobs on the winning fg drive.

I agree Tua seemed to be able to go thru progressions very maturely in the first half against the base defense of the second team. Several times it was obvious he would look right, middle and then throw left (or some other variation). It was very impressive, even if it was against the 2nd team and no pressure. In the second half, when the pressure was applied or when he was going against the first team, he simply didn't have time and was either pressured into a quick, inaccurate throw because his feet weren't set or he got touched/sacked.

Considering all this...I'd say JH is still the more complete qb (accounting for his leadership, experience, running ability, coolness, and ability to now hit the deep ball better). I'd probably say that, when given the time, Tua is probably slightly ahead of Jalen in being able to see the field and make quicker decisions and deliver the ball more accurately in the medium range type throw.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Specifically, it seemed to me his 3 or 4 long passes where pre-snap reads (you mention one was a second read). Those where the ones he seemed to make the best throw...when he didn't have to think too much or go thru a progression. On other throws, especially mid-range throws, I don't know if he went thru his progressions properly, but he had several that were thrown very late (Minka should have picked one of them) or too soon (the first INT in the endzone) or into double coverage. I notice he did check down to receivers coming out of the backfield...he did this twice to Jacobs on the winning fg drive.

I agree Tua seemed to be able to go thru progressions very maturely in the first half against the base defense of the second team. Several times it was obvious he would look right, middle and then throw left (or some other variation). It was very impressive, even if it was against the 2nd team and no pressure. In the second half, when the pressure was applied or when he was going against the first team, he simply didn't have time and was either pressured into a quick, inaccurate throw because his feet weren't set or he got touched/sacked.

Considering all this...I'd say JH is still the more complete qb (accounting for his leadership, experience, running ability, coolness, and ability to now hit the deep ball better). I'd probably say that, when given the time, Tua is probably slightly ahead of Jalen in being able to see the field and make quicker decisions and deliver the ball more accurately in the medium range type throw.
Pretty tight comparison considering one has two springs and 15 games under his belt and the other is right off a high school bus.

Makes one wonder.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Some thoughts after a rewatching it last night...

Tua:
- Tagovailoa is mature in terms of standing in the pocket and getting himself in a platform to make the throw he needs whether off a roll out or drop back.
- Tagovailoa still had some freshman quarterback moments where he was flat out lucky to not be picked.
- He had a few 2015 Chad Kelly moments that we can chalk up to good living.
- Tua looked like a freshman against a great power 5 conference defense when he took first team snaps.
- Summarization: He's a natural and will be really good one day if he keeps his head down or is given the opportunity early and has the opportunity to grow on the job. I'd hope the latter option is only if an unfortunate injury happens.

Hurts:
- He had an improved deepball but he was picking on a new corner, Diggs, for every one of his major deep throws. The accuracy and delivery of the ball on time is the encouraging thing...but I just have to consider that they wanted to baptize Diggs in the A-Day game to give him a lot to chew on in the Summer to improve his technique. And Diggs' technique was off...to say the least...he was in the area code which is a credit to his athletic ability though.
- He still showed some issues with dealing with the pass rush in his face. He gets a little dance-y and hesitant between deciding to bail and run or still try to throw.
- Generally hit all the timing throws in a spot where the WR did have or would have had a better opportunity to catch and run with the ball.
- Summary: He looked better than his last game in terms of development as a quarterback but a ton of his yardage came off "lets burn Diggs so I can chew his butt and hopefully turn him into an SEC corner by the Fall" plays.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pretty tight comparison considering one has two springs and 15 games under his belt and the other is right off a high school bus.

Makes one wonder.
Not really. You just seem adamant about pushing a battle.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One of Tua's bright moments came on 3rd down. It's when Herbstreit was standing by Locksley and asked what the play call was. He said something like "we are going to hit #17" (or whatever the receiver # was) on a sideline pattern.

Tua got the snap and, in a split second, determined the first read was not there (DB was in perfect position for a INT) so Tua threw to the second receiver who was also well covered but he threw it to where only the tightend Irvin would have got it. It was an incomplete pass, but it showed me that Tua read the coverage and quickly went to his second read. Result was 4th down and kick, but CNS is on record as saying a drive that ends in a kick is fine with him.

It was a little thing...but he showed me alot about his decision making.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We should all remember that Saban is going to do what he thinks is best to win TODAY. If Tua gets upset, Saban is going to treat him like he did AJ. AJ knew that he was the future - he knew that he was better than GMac. He wanted to play, and he was frustrated that he wasn't playing. But he sat. And if that wasn't good enough for AJ, his only option was the door.

Saban was honest with AJ when AJ was showing immaturity. He knew that he was risking AJ when he did it - that AJ's immaturity might lead him out the door (happened with BB last year). But he still played GMac.

Saban is going to play Jalen. Tua is going to have to be patient. He seems more mature than either AJ or BB. I think that he is going to stick it out. But Saban isn't going to worry about that or make the decision based in fear. If Tua leaves, he leaves. Jalen is the guy. Get behind it and worry about Tua when he becomes the guy.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We should all remember that Saban is going to do what he thinks is best to win TODAY. If Tua gets upset, Saban is going to treat him like he did AJ. AJ knew that he was the future - he knew that he was better than GMac. He wanted to play, and he was frustrated that he wasn't playing. But he sat. And if that wasn't good enough for AJ, his only option was the door.

Saban was honest with AJ when AJ was showing immaturity. He knew that he was risking AJ when he did it - that AJ's immaturity might lead him out the door (happened with BB last year). But he still played GMac.

Saban is going to play Jalen. Tua is going to have to be patient. He seems more mature than either AJ or BB. I think that he is going to stick it out. But Saban isn't going to worry about that or make the decision based in fear. If Tua leaves, he leaves. Jalen is the guy. Get behind it and worry about Tua when he becomes the guy.

And this is the bottom line.

Nick Saban turns 66 years old this Halloween. There are only THREE FBS coaches in 2016 older than Saban: Bill Snyder, Frank Solich, and Rocky Long. NONE of them coach at a higher stress environment than Saban and he MUST win now. If he's going to win number six, it MUST be now. It's about HIM winning now because even though none of us wants to think of it, the clock is ticking. (Just because he looks young doesn't mean he's 50).

Saban isn't going to play Tua right now just to keep him around for future years when Saban cannot even assume he will be here. IF he plays Tua, it will be because Tua is the BEST option for Alabama (and Saban) to win RIGHT now.

Coach Bryant won his last national championship on January 1, 1980. He was the same age then as Saban will be at the end of the 2017 season, 66.

There's not a Tide fan alive who thought that when Alabama was sitting perched at number two in the polls on October 11, 1982 - right after blasting Penn State, 42-21 - that we would lose four of the next six games, lose our first game at home since 1963, and lose the Iron Bowl for the first time in a decade.

My point is that Saban is going to do whatever is necessary for Alabama to win in 2017 - not worry about 2020, when he will be 70 years old.

With all due respect - does anyone REALLY think it would be that difficult for ALABAMA to get a quarterback?

Joe Pa won his last title at 60. Bobby Bowden won his last one at 69.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.